• Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    <<
    scared of needles,ill pass out...again.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I pass out with needles..so I donate cash, it's better for everyone :)
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I decided a few years ago to donate blood and planned on donating monthly. The only thing was with my heavy weight the results came back mimicking Hepatitis B, on their second run of my blood they determined it wasn't Hepatitis B but they won't let me donate now and forever.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Nope....I have tried but I always get rejected since I was always pregnant or just had a baby or got a tattoo or piercing . now after 16 years I dont even care to donate.
  • TimedEventSystem
    Options
    I love seeing all the "yes, I do" responses. It's so great that people do that. Makes me strangely happy, haha.
  • alfpalmer
    alfpalmer Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    blood donor and registered organ donor
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    They wont take my blood, the combination of medication I am on and low iron they tell me I am not desirable. I wish I could though.
  • Lyndi4
    Lyndi4 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am really afraid of needles. Even in spite of having 4 children & getting stuck a bunch of times for different tests, etc with each pregnancy I still struggle with my fear. A few years back I decided to really face my fear and donate blood. They were doing a drive at my church. They took my blood that first time, and everything went well. I was so proud of myself for doing it. Then a year or so later they were doing a drive at my kids' school, and my blood was rejected. I am an Army brat, and I was born out of the country. They were worried that I may have lived in an area and been exposed to different diseases. I was really bummed about it. I filled out my forms the same way at both places. Both forms asked about place of birth, etc. The only thing I can think of is that the first blood drive was held by a local hospital and the second was held by the Red Cross. Maybe the Red Cross is more careful, which I completely understand. I just really wanted to help out. Now when we have blood drives at church or wherever, I volunteer to help hand out juice and snacks afterward.
  • rmarshalla
    rmarshalla Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I do :) like clockwork (every 2 months). I have only been turned away once for having a low iron count but that was helpful because I've been careful and healthy with my iron intake ever since (also a plus because I am vegetarian).

I love giving- and now that I drink a gallon of water a day giving only takes about 5 minutes!! (minus prep and "recovery" time).
    So great!
    Such a simple and easy way to help other humans!!

I think/wish everybody that can give should give :).
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able for quite a while, mono, pregnancy, pregnancy, and now I'm always anemic. But I thought AB+ people can get blood from anyone?
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I used to religiously, but stopped when I went on anti depressant's. Now that I'm off them I think I'll give them a go again.:smile:
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'd really like to, but I am absolutely terrified of needles and blood. I had to get blood drawn once to test for anemia and I started to panic. I hope that one day I muster up the courage to donate because it's such an easy way to help people who really need it.
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Yes! My work has a blood drive every 6 months. Last time the phlebotomist said, and I quote, "Dang, girl! You've got some big veins!" lol
  • ucpg
    ucpg Posts: 158
    Options
    i want to donate more than my one time...but i'm kind of scared.

my blood pressure dropped and then i started hyperventilating, it was awful i was very close to fainting. extremely embarrassing as well.

I haven't donated since (2 yrs ago) and i'm nervous to try again!
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have a permanent indentation in my arm from donating :).
  • MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I actually never have. I don't think they'd take my blood, though, I have high bp and high cholesterol.
  • spicyginger2006
    spicyginger2006 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i LOVE to donate blood. nothing about it hurts me or bothers me. I think its a great, easy way to give service for others. I donate as often as I can.
  • stagknight
    stagknight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I used to donate plasma by a process called Plasmapheresis, the blood was extracted from my arm, spun and the red cells given back while the plasma was taken for treating myasthenia gravis, Guillain-Barré syndrome, lupus, severe burns and thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. I gave the equivalent of two and a half pints every ten weeks, as plasma is made up in a couple of days and there is no exsanguination anaemia due to red cell loss. It meant that a life time's donation amount was reached by the time I reached 35 years old. I retired at that point as they won't let you continue past it.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My blood is sacred, my ancestors blood is sacred, and the cycle of life is sacred. My body is my vessel, and I am the spirit. My spirit is eternal, and that eternity is granted by not violating the sacred rules.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    i want to donate more than my one time...but i'm kind of scared.

my blood pressure dropped and then i started hyperventilating, it was awful i was very close to fainting. extremely embarrassing as well.

I haven't donated since (2 yrs ago) and i'm nervous to try again!

[\quote]

Hmm, it depends on what triggered your fainting the first time. If it was a one-time trigger (hot room, bright lights, looking closely at the needle, etc.), you might be ok to try again. On the other hand If you're terrified of needles in general, don't be a masochist! No sense in hurting yourself!

I passed out once because the needle was in a tough spot and it was hurting me. Silly me I thought I'd tough it out. :blushing: Needless to say, that particular donation ended early. But since then I've donated several times without incident.

The blood bank staff has seen that happen MANY times before, so there's no reason to be embarassed if it happens to you.