Replies

• Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    unfortunally I can't I'm anemic :(
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I used to on a regular basis, but stopped during a pregnancy/miscarriage last fall. I need to get back to it! Once I started exercising regularly, my iron levels were always lower than their minimum requirement, so now I have to plan ahead and eat Cream of Wheat three or four times about a week before I go in. :tongue:

Love - being able to help others & the goodies after donating.
    Hate - if my iron is too low, or they can't get a vein (rare on me), or anything that prevents the donation - waste of their time and mine.
  • polarlove
    polarlove Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I registered to donate a few months ago, and they just sent me a letter saying they didn't need me, and never got back to me again :laugh: this is what happens when I try to do something nice.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all of you who donate blood. I had to have two units when I had my daughter 20 years ago. If I didnt have those units I would not have survived, so I really appreciate those who donate blood.
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I donate pretty frequently, as I used to work in a blood bank and I know it's important and there are lots of people who need blood. I've given whole blood and platelets. I guess the only thing I kinda don't like is the scar tissue developing on the inside of my elbows from numerous donations... but that's a minor thing.

Did you know... it takes 5000 (yes, 5K) calories to replace a unit of blood in your body? Those 5000 calories are spent over the course of 8 weeks, but still, it's something :)
  • tiggertail
    tiggertail Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I used to when I was still living in the UK, especially as I'm one of the rarer blood types. Am unfortunately not able to since I emigrated to NZ....apparently I am at an increased risk of becoming a mad cow so they won't accept it! :huh:

9131614.png
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I can't donate. I have odd antigens in my blood that apparently eat white blood cells in others. They won't take mine.
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Knowing that only 3 out of 100 people give blood, it's important that anyone who is eligible does donate. Not only to ensure that blood is available when it's needed but also available in emergencies. My daughter was a preemie so that pretty much clinched it for me. And I know others who have received blood - either cancer patients, leukemia, or accident victims.
  • nettidorothy
    Options
    I do donate blood. We are due to give next week (my husband and myself). We missed last time
    because my husband was having open heart surgery on the day we were to give. The thing I like
    least is answering all the same questions every time we give. I do see alot of the same people
    from the blood bank group and they are alot of fun.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Wanted to bump this to remind anyone who hasn't donated in a while to look into it. I just wentin this morning and, while I am drained, sore, and will probably bruise again, it's still worth it. Weird experience though...my vein disappeared halfway through collection and i wonder if it will even be useable since the blood started to clot in the needle after that. But, at least I tried. It had been almost two years since my last donation...but I just went and did it. O+ If only I could convince my husband to give it a try. One bad experience when he was 17 and now he freaks out whenever I mentioned him joining me.

I had the great fortune to be a military dependent in the 80s and 90s, but we were only overseas in Asia...no Mad Cow there I guess! They didnt even question me on dates like the last time I donated.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I do it at school. Hey, who doesn't want a free pint of baskin robbins!
  • 4jenniferk
    4jenniferk Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I did for years. Got diagnosed with malignant melonoma that didn't metastasis but I'm deemed ineligible to donate regardless.
  • iloso
    iloso Posts: 156
    Options
    I got my little red membership card :). I was turned away 3 times before they finally accepted me. I donated once in highschool and they started to stalk me so I never donated again and location was a big thing....I hope I will make it a regular but I dont see that happening.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I gave blood for the first time last week at the Robert Heinlen blood drive at Comic Con! I tried last year but my iron was too low. Gotta be honest, my favorite thing about it was the True Blood swag. lol
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I used to donate plasma all the time. I still have a track mark from where they stuck the needle each time. I think the worst part for me is after the donating is done, and even after I tell them to wrap it up good and tight otherwise I'll leak, they still don't listen and I still end up leaking. >.< Not a fan of bleeding all over the floor and my clothes and my book, and of course hearing "eww" from the worker helping me one time really didn't help things haha! Other than that, it's just an awesome time to relax and read and to get paid for it! I plan on starting back up in August. :)
  • cazwillis99
    cazwillis99 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My fourth donation is booked for next week :-)
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I donate as often as I can and have done so five or so times. I do get frustrated when I go and get turned away because my temp is a tiny bit too high -- my natural temp is a little higher than the average person so it is difficult for me to be at the ideal temperature.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Yes, every three months, 100% per Irish blood. Sells at a very high price I am told
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    They won't take my blood :(
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I do when I can, yes.