Do you donate blood?

Options

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Another good reason to give blood is to have your blood "typed" (the various factors in your blood worked up). Knowing your blood type and keeping a card with it in your wallet (which a donor card does) might save your life someday, and will make the blood you receive more effective and more efficient.

If a critical patient goes in to the hospital and needs blood, the hospital has to "type" their blood before they can start adding more so they don't kill the patient with incompatible blood, or they need to dig into their oh-so-precious supply of O- blood because anyone can receive it. If you have your blood type where someone can get at it, it saves precious minutes during your care, and they can use blood that they have more available supplies of, saving the O- stuff for the people who would be killed by blood that your body is fine with.
  • AshCakes88
    AshCakes88 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I haven't donated in a while because I almost passed out. The prick is the worst!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Another good reason to give blood is to have your blood "typed" (the various factors in your blood worked up). Knowing your blood type and keeping a card with it in your wallet (which a donor card does) might save your life someday, and will make the blood you receive more effective and more efficient.

If a critical patient goes in to the hospital and needs blood, the hospital has to "type" their blood before they can start adding more so they don't kill the patient with incompatible blood, or they need to dig into their oh-so-precious supply of O- blood because anyone can receive it. If you have your blood type where someone can get at it, it saves precious minutes during your care, and they can use blood that they have more available supplies of, saving the O- stuff for the people who would be killed by blood that your body is fine with.
    Really, they wouldn't still check?
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    I haven't donated in a while because I almost passed out. The prick is the worst!

It's important to prepare for blood donation. Make sure you eat well so you have plenty of fuel. Don't go overboard, but remember that you'll be burning off 500-600 calories to re-create that pint, and this is not a time to starve your body of those calories. Eat/drink iron-rich food sources for a couple of days beforehand to make sure you aren't anemic.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    Really, they wouldn't still check?

I'm sure they would most of the time, but giving them the information beforehand can save precious time, especially if you're critical and they're very low on O-.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    It might be a country thing, but receiving a transfusion doen't bar you from donating forever. You have to wait one year after recieving a transfusion, at least in the US. I've had a tranfusion but still can donate.

My work has a blood drive every two months typically. We are displaced at the moment but should be back to normal by the end of the year. I gave blood in February so I'm due...now if I could just stay well.

I'm also on the bone marrow registry and a registered organ donor. I'm also planning to donate my body to science when I die - of course the organ thing could come into play there.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I do! I had to stop for pregnancies, but now I get to donate blood this week. I love knowing that I can help others, especially since my blood type is a little rarer (AB+) and I enjoy the guilt free cranberry juice and cookie. I just got my gallon pin and I'm working on the next gallon. The only drawback for me is when they poke my finger... it seems like that hurts the most.

If you donate, what do you like most and least about it?
    I am AB+ too, which less than 4% of the population has.
    We are the universal receivers - woohoo!

I donate when I can. I loooooooooove needles. And shots. And being poked in general.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    They wont take my blood... something about medications ... i would like to donate but if they wont take it there isn't much I can do.
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I do when I can, wish they fed you something better than donuts after.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I used to donate plasma after college but then I needed the money for groceries (for real....groceries).

I've only donated plasma once. I followed all of their instructions, was a little woozy when I left and then proceeded on a nasty decline the rest of the day and was almost sent home from work for how nauseous/weak/pale I was.

Scared of doing it since then. It was not a pleasant experience.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I donate at least a couple times a year. I'm O+ which I think they said is the most common so they need the most of it.
  • fhacker
    fhacker Posts: 57
    Options
    I used to donate on a regular basis. But then they got all crazy about Mad Cow Disease. Now anyone that lived in certain parts of Europe during much of the 80s or early 90s is indefinitely ineligible. :frown: I really hope they get the test perfected soon so that I and many of my friends who are vets (or were dependents, like me) can go back to donating.

Same issue here. I spent a year at University in Scotland in the 80s so now I'm ineligible. I managed 2 gallon pins prior to that.
  • mandie0378
    mandie0378 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I used to donate blood. They would call me as soon as I could donate again because I have A negative blood. However, about 8 years ago they blew out my vein (I have TERRIBLE veins) and they've never called me since. :frown:
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i have tattoos and the vial they take every six months to check my thyroid creeps me out
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    i do, couple times a year, pure irish blood, very sought after
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I started donating within six months of my 17th birthday (when you're allowed to start here in canada) and was successful the first time. The second time I completed the donation but fainted upon taking the needle OUT of my arm.

The third time I shouldn't really have been allowed to donate - my blood pressure was below required and iron juuuusst at what it needs to be, so the woman told me to walk around the block to raise my blood pressure and come back. I was still two points below for blood pressure but they let me anyway, and I fainted halfway through filling the bag. Resulted in a 5 year ban on me donating. I'm now 20 and just waiting for the next 2 years to hurry up and pass already!

So proud of ALL of you who donate, especially those with a fear of needles/blood who do it anyway. I like how one person above put it - if you needed the blood to survive after an accident/illness/surgery you wouldn't turn it away because of your fear!

I'm banned too... for a year due to fainting. It makes me sad.
  • cazwillis99
    cazwillis99 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I do! But they wouldn't take it last time because it hadn't been a year since I got a tattoo :( I agree that its a simple way to give back.

Wow you have to wait a year - I only have to wait 4 months from tattoo to being able to donate again. I schedule my tattoos around my donating schedule - if I am getting a new one it is done within days of a donation so I don't miss more than one scheduled donation. Last tat 1st March, next donation 1st August.
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have donated regularly since I was 16 years old. Technically that was underage, but I was a candy-striper at a hospital and they needed blood so I was "persuaded". I have been a willing donor ever since. And i do not do it for the donut.
  • SEEotU
    SEEotU Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I used to give all the time (or try to). I don't bleed fast enough to fill the bag in the alotted time, so they can never use it:(
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I too donate. I wish they would store some away for me personally, my own little stash. I'm O negative and would probably be assed out if I needed some in an emergency...LOL

Unfortunately, we don't know when an emergency is going to happen, but you CAN donate blood for yourself ahead of time if you will be having surgery, childbirth, or other procedure where you may need blood.