Do you donate blood?

Options

Replies

• BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Saying that you are too scared of needles to donate is bull****...

If you were in hospital, and needed blood, you wouldn't turn around and say, umm, excuse me, i don't want the blood coz I'm too scared of needles. Man up, don't look and get on with it...

The feeling you get from it is amazing!

^-THIS. Amen sister. I am scared ****eless of needles and get claustropohobia everytime I have that damn thing in me, but I do it anyway cause its important.

THANKYOU!
    nobody likes needles. if everyone had such a selfish nature, god knows what would happen to people in hospital. i HATE to say something SO horrible, but some people don't deserve blood if they need it/I hope my blood doesn't go to somebody like that.. People takes things like this for granted.
  • charliedavisxxx
    charliedavisxxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i want to. i have Rhesus negative blood though so i dont know if they would want it... doew anyone know? xx
  • ScientistStudy
    ScientistStudy Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i want to. i have Rhesus negative blood though so i dont know if they would want it... doew anyone know? xx

They want all blood types :) I don't think they would turn you away for your blood type.
  • charliedavisxxx
    charliedavisxxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    ok thank you ScientistStud i will follow it up then xxx
  • WhatDoesLisa
    WhatDoesLisa Posts: 214
    Options
    I faint at the sight of blood but I am a registered organ donor and bone marow donor. That probably sounds crazy but I got woozy having routine bloodwork this morning.
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    No but drinking blood has become a way of life for me.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I'd love to, but got turned away when I tried. I have a heart problem that means I 'need' antibiotics before any treatment that breaks the skin. Not that I've ever bothered, far too much hassle and the risk is tiny. But it means they wont take my blood.:grumble:
  • ScientistStudy
    ScientistStudy Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'd love to, but got turned away when I tried. I have a heart problem that means I 'need' antibiotics before any treatment that breaks the skin. Not that I've ever bothered, far too much hassle and the risk is tiny. But it means they wont take my blood.:grumble:

My sister is very similar, she was disappointed when she was turned away.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Yes, two to three times per year, and I also just learned from my friend BerryH that it can burn 600 to 650 calories for your body to replace the removed blood - bonus!

really???

Blood is being taken from the body. The blood is how calories get to the cells. Not to mention your heart has to beat that much harder for the drop in blood pressure... Take a pint out of your body it only has seven more to work off of, until it replaces it
  • vade43113
    Options

Negative blood means you can give to your type whether they are positive or negative.... one of the few times, in life, where it pays to be negative :P

I mean, AB- can give to an AB+ or an AB-. Same for every other blood type.

O-'s are those that are most wanted, cause they can give to everyone and anyone.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I too donate. I wish they would store some away for me personally, my own little stash. I'm O negative and would probably be assed out if I needed some in an emergency...LOL

Obviously you can't store it for an emergency because it doesn't last long but now they will sometimes let you donate blood before surgery so they can use your own blood if needed for recovery. I think that's so cool!
  • vade43113
    Options
    this might help everyone, http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/blood-types

Though I doubt anyone would read it after the turn of the page
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I wish I could. I have a severe iron deficiency.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I saw a gentleman's license plate frame that read 27 gallon donor.............................................I was impressed.

Also, I donate
  • alexandrahrah
    Options
    I started donating within six months of my 17th birthday (when you're allowed to start here in canada) and was successful the first time. The second time I completed the donation but fainted upon taking the needle OUT of my arm.

The third time I shouldn't really have been allowed to donate - my blood pressure was below required and iron juuuusst at what it needs to be, so the woman told me to walk around the block to raise my blood pressure and come back. I was still two points below for blood pressure but they let me anyway, and I fainted halfway through filling the bag. Resulted in a 5 year ban on me donating. I'm now 20 and just waiting for the next 2 years to hurry up and pass already!

So proud of ALL of you who donate, especially those with a fear of needles/blood who do it anyway. I like how one person above put it - if you needed the blood to survive after an accident/illness/surgery you wouldn't turn it away because of your fear!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I used to donate on a regular basis. But then they got all crazy about Mad Cow Disease. Now anyone that lived in certain parts of Europe during much of the 80s or early 90s is indefinitely ineligible. :frown: I really hope they get the test perfected soon so that I and many of my friends who are vets (or were dependents, like me) can go back to donating.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I donate! The think I hate most is the tattoo rule. Takes me out of commission. :ohwell:
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I used to donate on a regular basis. But then they got all crazy about Mad Cow Disease. Now anyone that lived in certain parts of Europe during much of the 80s or early 90s is indefinitely ineligible. :frown: I really hope they get the test perfected soon so that I and many of my friends who are vets (or were dependents, like me) can go back to donating.

/second
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I donate! The think I hate most is the tattoo rule. Takes me out of commission. :ohwell:

My wife was told that she could still give blood after a very brief waiting period if the tattoo parlor was licensed (you just have to get a copy of the license from the parlor and bring it with you to the drive, I believe). Sadly, even though it was, she had done it with her sister in another state, and could not provide a copy of the license.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

RH Negative blood is the most desirable type.

In general, a recipient cannot take any factor in blood that they do not already have (this is an oversimplification, but pretty accurate). There are three factors: A, B, and Rhesus or RH. The presence of this factor in blood will cause an adverse reaction to a recipient that lacks this factor. The lack of a factor in donated blood will be unimportant to the recipient.

O- has none of the three factors and is therefore called the "universal donor". If you have O- blood, your blood can be used for anyone. But you NEED another O- donor to get your blood supply, because everyone else has a factor in their blood that will hurt you. So if you're O-, YOU NEED TO GIVE BLOOD if you're eligible. Your blood is the best blood for everyone, and it's always in short supply and high demand. And it's the only thing YOU can accept as a recipient, so it's in your best interest to keep that O- supply well-stocked. If they're out of O-, you die. It's that simple.

On the other hand, AB+ (all three factors present) is called the "universal recipient" because they can pretty much take any blood from anyone. Lucky *kitten*. (grin) If you're AB+, your blood is actually less important, but it's still useful.

Someone with, say, B- (my blood type, which is a very rare one) can only accept blood from O- and B- donors. If "A" or RH are present in the blood, my body will reject it. But I can give blood for anyone with the "B" factor present (B-, B+, AB-, AB+). My blood cannot be used for an O- or O+ patient as I have the "B" factor present. So I can donate to a far larger percentage of the population than I can receive from, and the Red Cross never leaves me alone (and for good reason).

RH- is a GOOD thing, and should be a reason to give blood as often as you can.

----

Here is a chart from Stanford on the occurrence of blood types: http://bloodcenter.stanford.edu/about_blood/blood_types.html

So, looking at my blood type (B-), I can accept blood from only B- (1.5% of the population) and O- (6.6% of the population). So only 8.1% of any average blood supply can keep me alive. On the other hand, my blood can be USED to help over 50% of the population (anyone without the B factor). The only blood type with a lower supply is O-, and there's particularly high demand for that blood type since anyone can use it.