Vegan diets

Options
I have successfully lost weight on a diet but when I told the nutritionist I wanted vegan/vegetarian she was opposed to it. She didn't believe in them and said my body needed animal protein. So I added some chicken, fish and low-fat cheese and lost weight. But I didn't like eating animal products. I went back to my vegan/vegetarian diet and have slowly regained some weight. I'm very discouraged as I'm a fan of Dr Neal Bernard and follow his blog, Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, and Dr. Deal Ornish Reversing Heart Disease. After reading their works it sounded like I could eat fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts and lose weight without tracking, measuring and all the time it took with the nutritionist's diet. I would welcome comments from other vegan dieters and what has worked or not worked for them. And comments if there are some body types that just don't respond to a carbohydrate diet, plant based protein. Thanks

Replies

• ScottJTyler
    ScottJTyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Just track your food to see how many calories you are eating, track your weight to see what effect those calories are having, then manipulate calories up or down if you want to gain or lose weight respectively.
    Vegan diets are fine if you are eating a variety of foods and taking a B12 supplement.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm not vegan, but I went vegetarian about 9 years ago and lost close to 65 pounds with no tracking. I was eating mostly vegan at that time because I was focused on eating foods that were not processed. When things got busy, my diet switched to processed foods and 80% carbohydrate and I blew up. What you eat and your macros can really impact your metabolism. I have had the most success with veggies, beans & tempeh, salads. Carbohydrates are okay, but liit the white stuff. You can be a healthy vegan, but it does take planning. Pick a couple things you really like, track your macros, and slowly add in things. Don't get held up by the vegan label.
  • evryoung4
    evryoung4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, this is helpful!
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian since I was 13, vegan since 19, and raw vegan for 8 years. And yet a year ago I found myself fifty pounds overweight.
    Logging isn't an arduous process. Like anything else, it becomes habit.
    And I would never go back to that moronic doctor.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I went to a doctor for a physical and he told me a vegetarian diet was unhealthy and gave me brochures for the usada websites He was such a dick and I found out most medical doctors have very little nutrition training (posted an article below). I dropped that doctor and found someone more supportive. Just find someone that has a well rounded background and educate yourself too. You will always be the best advocate for your health.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430660/
  • evryoung4
    Options
    Thanks for the website, it confirms what I have thought for years. I need to get out the measuring cups and monitor and track what I consume. I have to be responsible for what goes in and not just assume if its vegan it is always healthy. I like the CICO example, that's the bottom line. So get out the walking shoes and hit the pavement and be responsible with my food selection and quantity. Thanks all for your advise, it is greatly appreciated.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan, but I eat a mostly whole-food plant-based diet. I eat lots of carbs and starches. It's definitely a good idea to track your calories! I'm finally losing weight now that I'm doing it consistently. I'll never understand why doctors/nutritionists would not advocate for a diet full of plants. Although, you can definitely be an unhealthy junk food vegan, so maybe that's why?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Track your protein too -- beans, lentils, nuts, hemp seeds. pumpkin seeds, kale, broccoli.
  • buffveganme
    buffveganme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    JenD1066 wrote: »
    And I would never go back to that moronic doctor.

Nutritionists aren't doctors. Not even close.

Find a new Nutritionist/dietician if you need! There the one I recently saw totally worked with me and my vegan diet! You don't 'need' meat in order to be healthy (or lean!!)
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Well I've not 'needed' animal Protein for over 20 years. Find someone you can work with
  • xenl
    xenl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I eat vegan. Like another person said - it is all about calories in vs calories out. My sister also eats vegan and healthy and thought she was taking in way fewer calories than she was. One day I calculated it for her and by mid-day she was well over what she needed.

Starting out I would still weigh/measure just so you can get an idea of how many calories are in what you're choosing to consume. Nuts pack a lot of calories in a small (but filling) portion.
  • evryoung4
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Well I've not 'needed' animal Protein for over 20 years. Find someone you can work with
    This is encouraging as I really want to embrace the vegan diet. I've been reading the new research on telomere, http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2013/09/108886/lifestyle-changes-may-lengthen-telomeres-measure-cell-aging
    The vegan diet really promotes longevity and an improved lifestyle.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I sent you a pm. As a vegan-leaning vegetarian for nearly 25 years, I have to say that vegan diets can be as good or as awful as any other diet, depending on food choices. Look for a registered dietician who does not have a bias against veganism and make an appointment. Good luck to you!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    cld111 wrote: »
    I'll never understand why doctors/nutritionists would not advocate for a diet full of plants. Although, you can definitely be an unhealthy junk food vegan, so maybe that's why?

It's more likely because there are a lot of vegans out there who get deficient in things like B12 and protein, and some other nutrients found in meat and dairy. It is definitely possible to meet your nutritional needs as a vegan, but many vegans don't manage this.
  • MadamPlum
    MadamPlum Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Have you seen Ella Woodward's book? She isn't a slimmer, but went vegan gluten free to help with an illness. She has got some great recipes. There are plenty of other foods out there that have protein besides meat!

http://deliciouslyella.com/
  • evryoung4
    Options
    MadamPlum wrote: »
    Have you seen Ella Woodward's book? She isn't a slimmer, but went vegan gluten free to help with an illness. She has got some great recipes. There are plenty of other foods out there that have protein besides meat!

http://deliciouslyella.com/
    Thanks this is a great website and always enjoy good vegan recipes.