Bread Questions

Options
I know what white bread is supposed to be bad for weightloss, but what about the other kinds? Like the whole wheat, healthy white, rye. Are these just as bad ? And I've noticed that the whole grain breads are always higher in calories , while the white breads can be as low as 50 per slice. I'd rather eat the the lower calorie bread , but not if it's going to be awful for me. What is the best kind to eat?
Thanks (:

Replies

• kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Go for whole grains- the grain should be the 1st ingredient on the list. I try to get bread with at least 3 g of fiber per slice. The whole grain bread is healthier and also fills you up for a longer period of time.
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I buy smart wheat, that's only 50 calories. Or Sara Lee honey wheat bread, only 45 calories.
  • melon_e
    melon_e Posts: 58
    Options
    I use Sara Lee's 45 calorie per slice whole wheat bread. It's really yummy and even my kids like it!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    White flour and white sugar (refined carbohydrates) tend to slow your metabolism down. They are easily digested and cause your blood sugar to spike very rapidly, then soon you are hungry again. Whole grain breads will promote a feeling fullness that the white bread can't achieve. You would have to eat way more to get the same nutritional value as whole grains. I like the Ezekiel 4:9 breads or any sprouted grain bread. They are gluten free and a much better protein than the flour based breads.
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    multi grain or 100% whole wheat is best. Anything with white should be avoided (bread, rice etc) because it lacks nutritional value and is processed. I find that 100% whole wheat pita pockets are nice. A half pocket usually has the same amount of calories as a slice of bread but in a neat little pocket, more fun to eat and great for people on the go. Just a thought :)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Be careful. A lot of the rye bread is not whole grain. A lot of multi grain bread is not whole grain. A lot of wheat bread is not 100% whole grain. If I buy bread, I make sure I look for 100% whole grain. 100%. Just because it's brown and has grainy looking stuff on the top does not mean that it's all whole grain.
  • MeganMac17
    MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    multi grain or 100% whole wheat is best. Anything with white should be avoided (bread, rice etc) because it lacks nutritional value and is processed. I find that 100% whole wheat pita pockets are nice. A half pocket usually has the same amount of calories as a slice of bread but in a neat little pocket, more fun to eat and great for people on the go. Just a thought :)

Oooh, great idea! I'm going to try the pita pockets!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Nature's own has a 9 grain bread that is 40 cals per slice, and I must say tastes pretty good. I only like white, potato, 9 grain or 12 grain, whol wheat tastes like dirt to me
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    I always get low-carb bread. I'm not on a low-carb diet, but my diet is otherwise really high in carbs, plus the low-carb ones have more protein and fiber than other breads.

Breads such as rye are usually also whole-grain because rye is a grain... and you can definitely find low-calorie breads you can use. But my boyfriend bought this "hearty grain" bread that is 110 calories per slice, but the texture is awesome.
  • jhoffman27
    jhoffman27 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I looooooove pita pockets, I take them on the go they're so convenient. I'm still wondering how they get the pocket inside lol. :laugh:
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    Bump!
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    Be careful. A lot of the rye bread is not whole grain. A lot of multi grain bread is not whole grain. A lot of wheat bread is not 100% whole grain. If I buy bread, I make sure I look for 100% whole grain. 100%. Just because it's brown and has grainy looking stuff on the top does not mean that it's all whole grain.

Agree completely!! And, unfortunately even the whole grain breads have preservatives (lot of them anyway)...so back to zero, effectively. I love the bread I make with whole wheat flour and oatmeal.
  • pauljsolie
    Options
    [/quote]

Agree completely!! And, unfortunately even the whole grain breads have preservatives (lot of them anyway)...so back to zero, effectively. I love the bread I make with whole wheat flour and oatmeal.
    [/quote]

That sounds good, care to share a recipe?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I eat the 100% whole wheat sandwich thins...100 calories a piece, and they work as a bread/bun/bagel.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Oroweat Double fiber bread, I usually have a slice for breakfast :D
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    white bread isnt bad for weight loss..its not bad at all really. it just doesnt have as much nutrients in it compared to whole grain.

remember its about the calories not the food.
  • pauljsolie
    Options
    Nevermind
  • ccshorty13
    ccshorty13 Posts: 6
    Options
    I eat the 100% whole wheat sandwich thins...100 calories a piece, and they work as a bread/bun/bagel.
    I like slimwiches. They seem to have more of a bun feel. They are thicker.
  • lauren821
    lauren821 Posts: 2
    Options
    I also like whole wheat english muffins - they're delicious for a sandwich, and only 120 calories, with the whole wheat / grains aspect, so you feel fuller for awhile afterward.