High fat and low carbs = weight loss?

Options
I read online that eating I diet high in fat and low in carbs puts your body in something called ketosis which makes you burn fat more efficiently. Is this true?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    anayapaya wrote: »
    I read online that eating I diet high in fat and low in carbs puts your body in something called ketosis which makes you burn fat more efficiently. Is this true?

According to many people, it helps them lose weight. According to others, the trick is to eat pretty much only carbs and never touch fat. According to some, the answer is to become a vegetarian. Or to eat fruit only. Or to never again touch a fruit. Or to eat for a few hours per day only. Or a few days per week. Or to eat all the protein supplements you can get. You see where this is going, right ;)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eating in a calorie deficit equals weight loss. How you get there is your decision, but it only matters that you eat less than you burn.
  • elisa_rush
    elisa_rush Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It depends on your metabolism, although it's probably not healthy to stay in ketosis. For me, the whole calorie burn theory does not work. Why? I have Insulin Resistence and so my body does not process food properly. Calories from carbs do not act the same in my body as a calorie in fat or protein. Watching carbs is a much bigger key than counting calories, watching fat, or exercising.

There are loads of metabolic disorders, so don't be discouraged by low calorie not working, if that is behind you asking. It's very confusing to have that bandied about as fact when it just doesn't work for all. Bodies are so complex and it often is not that simple. In fact, it is never that simple due to needing various nutrients to process foods properly, but for some that gets them close enough bc it increases their nutrients due to the lower calorie items generally being more nutrient dense.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    As someone who ate a SAD and barely got any results, low carb definitely worked for me, and is still working. HOWEVER, you also need to eat at a deficit. Low carb helps you keep a deficit through controlling your macros better.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in low carb per se, but I have found that getting most carbs from fresh fruits and vegetables and reducing my grain-based carbs works for me. I have never bought into the whole ketosis thing. Works for some people, though.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I don't believe in low carb per se, but I have found that getting most carbs from fresh fruits and vegetables and reducing my grain-based carbs works for me. I have never bought into the whole ketosis thing. Works for some people, though.

Do you believe in gravity? Ketosis is basic science, and you, personally, experience it every night while you're asleep. The only difference between you and people on keto is they manage what they eat to maintain that state of ketosis 24/7 instead of only while they're asleep.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

According to many people, it helps them lose weight. According to others, the trick is to eat pretty much only carbs and never touch fat. According to some, the answer is to become a vegetarian. Or to eat fruit only. Or to never again touch a fruit. Or to eat for a few hours per day only. Or a few days per week. Or to eat all the protein supplements you can get. You see where this is going, right ;)

haha, funny response but unfortunately true...
  • xstevedx
    xstevedx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Its true, but its very complicated.. You have to study up and be a know it all before that diet becomes a good idea. It takes precision and some time before you're body even adapts to ketosis and carbs can easily throw your body out of ketosis immediately. I watched a vlog by a famous professional Trainor talk about his experience training a pro female bikini class competitor who was using a ketogenic diet to shred the last possible bit of weight and during her training she started to bloat and wrecked her progress for a short time just from the effects of adding BCAAs to her supps!

Anyways this diet is an advanced technique best suited for those who know that they do well cutting without carbs and want to take a good body to an elite level. *Most of all* people on this site crave ignorant arguments so above all dont start this kind of diet based on advise from here! Google it and also youtube will have some useful vlogs by individuals who have documented their process over time. I may go keto for a short while after my competition next month, but its not a light decision. Gooduck!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Caloric deficit = weight loss.

This
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Be careful, I ended in hospital with strokelike symptoms when on an almost nocarb diet. Very rapid weight (and hair) loss, but I missed a few key nutrients as well. Do not do that without doctor's advice!
  • FreshStartForMyself
    FreshStartForMyself Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The weight loss due to low carb intake is mainly water weight, what really matters is calories in, calories out.

Eat nutrient dense foods and other foods that you like, stay in a caloric deficit, and you will lose weight.
  • brcossette
    brcossette Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My body says it likes a balanced diet and exercise
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I don't know about all that. But I am in fact eating high fat (40-50%), low carb (<15% net carbs), high fiber (LOTS of veggies) and high protein (35%) diet. And my fat loss has been awesome!
    I will continue to eat this way for a little while longer, as I feel perfectly comfortable doing it.
    I am eating this way to bring balance to my body, I don't know what are the goals of articles you were reading. I feel this is a sustainable way to eat, I could probably continue this manner of eating for a long time.

I should add that eating this way has completely eliminated my cravings and mood issues associated with dieting. It wasn't just *any* calories that allowed me to successfully diet, but rather selected foods that supported my efforts to change my body composition.
  • DinoChicken
    DinoChicken Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've used low carb diets for years and always seen results where as just calorie counting has never worked because my body quickly adjusts my metabolism to hold my weight..

..as far as weight/bloat when a person stops ketogenic dieting it is due to the fact that the body retains water when using carbs as fuel. Once the carbs/glucose is no longer available this body releases the stored fluid (thus causing the drastic weight loss and the benefit to getting that ripped fit).. The down side is the minute you eat too many carbs your body says 'hold water'.. Which is the concept behind super models talking about carb face and being bloated. And also the warning that as soon as you go off the diet you gain the weight back.. You do gain the water but actual fat is put on by calories in!!!
  • FreshStartForMyself
    FreshStartForMyself Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    The weight loss due to low carb intake is mainly water weight, what really matters is calories in, calories out.

Eat nutrient dense foods and other foods that you like, stay in a caloric deficit, and you will lose weight.

Ahh, not quite.

True that what matters is calories in, calories out.

Untrue that weight loss on low carb is mainly water weight. In the initial week it is mainly water weight much like other diets. You lose more water weight on low carb because there is more glycogen storage lost. However after the glycogen storage is depleted the weight loss is like any other program. If you use low carb to gain a deficit you get weight loss.

Please stop sharing information that is inaccurate. Next you will say that the moment you eat carbs again all the weight will come springing back. Also not true. You will gain a few pounds when the glycogen storage is replenished, but other than that weight will only be gained if you eat a surplus of calories.

I did not mean that the weight you lose on low carb is purely water weight. Of course that if you eat low carb while staying on a deficit the weight you'll lose will be partly fat weight, which won't be gained back if you don't eat at a surplus afterwards when you go back to a 'normal' diet.

What I meant is that if you eat low carb, you'll lose more water weight at first than on any other diet (with diet I mean way of eating, not as in 'the asparagus diet') since carbs are more prone to making your body retain water (please correct me if I'm wrong, this is based on my own research).

Sorry if I didn't express myself well, I didn't mean to spread inaccurate information, all I wanted was to state that fat loss is calories in, calories out and pretty much nothing else, so the diet you follow is not really relevant for that matter (unless we're talking about nutrients, but that's another topic).
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Or you could just eat less food and move some more. Just a random thought that something simpler and more sustainable for life could work. I know controversial idea