Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Advice on good running shoes?

jaykarrels1
jaykarrels1 Posts: 11 Member
I just started running recently. All my life I have been a sprinter and never really did much long distance, I have noticed as I have been going longer distances, my feet have been hurting more and more. I wear Nike Free's and they just don't have the needed cushion so I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what kind of shoes are good to get for running outside. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited May 2015
    Tbh, You'll need to go to a running store to get fitted. The type of shoes you should get are dependent on if you have a pronating/neutral/supinating foot, how light/heavy you are, how your foot strikes the ground when you run (toe/midfoot/heel), your arch height, etc.

If you know some of the info above, post it, and people with similar foot types can let you know what type of shoe they're wearing. For example, I was using Brooks Glycerin, and now I'm using Mizuno Wave Prophecies - I mid foot strike when I run, I'm tall and heavy, and supinate with my feet. I also have hip and lower back problems, so I use a high cushion shoe. I'd rather run with a more barefoot shoe, but my body can't take the extra impact yet.
  • seiffertrk
    seiffertrk Posts: 49 Member
    I'll probably catch some flame for this for not being all scientific, but I'm just starting out with running again too and I've been very happy with my asics. I'm wearing the gel cumulus model, but I've worn others. Their sole design doesn't seem to change much from model to model. It's really just preference on how the upper looks and feels.

Anyway, I find them comfortable and they don't break the bank. Your mileage may vary. Either way, kudos on getting out there and doing it!
  • jaykarrels1
    jaykarrels1 Posts: 11 Member
    Just looking at my sole, there is a lot of wear on the outside back heel area, I have skinny feet, not wide. That's about all I know. Can I go to any shoe store or is there one you'd recommend?
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Just find a good running store in your local area. They can evaluate your stride and get you properly fitted.
  • marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    I agree on running shoes store! You definitely get what you pay for and you won't regret it :))
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Definitely go to a store and have an employee watch you walk and run. At a reputable store, the employees should be able to help you determine your footfall and strike pattern and recommend the best shoe. Based on your description, you are probably a heel striker, like many runners. But you should determine whether you over- or under-pronate as well, because you'll want to find a shoe that will support the rotation of your foot. I both under-and over-pronate so a neutral shoe works best for me. There are just so many shoes and so many types; definitely get an expert opinion. And be prepared to spend; running shoes ain't cheap!