Should I maintain for a while?

Options
5'5
SW: 158
CW: 138
GW: 120-130

I was in a rush to lose weight at the beginning, but now I've hit a healthy weight I've realised that looking good is the least of my worries and I want to take a break from being on a deficit.
The thing is, all I want is bad food and I have this kind of depressed feeling when I come to the end of my day's calories before 6PM. I've always liked to snack in the evening, that's why I was overweight. I feel like I need to let myself go for a week or two, treat myself, relax and celebrate 20lbs lost since January! Should I keep at a small deficit or should I maintain? No idea what to do folks

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to just stop viewing foods as good or bad. You can still eat the foods you want, just fit them into your calorie goal, whether it's at a deficit or maintenance.

Were you planning on continue logging on your 'break'? If not, I'd be worried about going too overboard and eating a bit too much, which could lead to regaining a few lbs.
  • chasingyouu
    chasingyouu Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    My advice would be to just stop viewing foods as good or bad. You can still eat the foods you want, just fit them into your calorie goal, whether it's at a deficit or maintenance.

Were you planning on continue logging on your 'break'? If not, I'd be worried about going too overboard and eating a bit too much, which could lead to regaining a few lbs.

I would definitely not stop logging!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

If it were me, then I'd just keep logging and include the foods that you've been restricting, which btw, you don't need to do. It's much more sustainable to eat the foods you love (just smaller portions) within your calorie goal. I still eat ice cream, pizza, cheeseburgers, etc. I also eat chicken, veggies, fruit, etc. etc. It's all about balance.

Today I'm having ice cream - twice. Within my calories, I'm meeting my protein & fat goal, a bit under carbs, etc. Balance & Love. :)
  • chasingyouu
    chasingyouu Posts: 17 Member
    Options

If it were me, then I'd just keep logging and include the foods that you've been restricting, which btw, you don't need to do. It's much more sustainable to eat the foods you love (just smaller portions) within your calorie goal. I still eat ice cream, pizza, cheeseburgers, etc. I also eat chicken, veggies, fruit, etc. etc. It's all about balance.

Today I'm having ice cream - twice. Within my calories, I'm meeting my protein & fat goal, a bit under carbs, etc. Balance & Love. :)

I haven't totally restricted unhealthy foods, it's just sometimes I wanna eat a whole cake and not just 1 slice
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am planning on letting myself go on my birthday. That's in January, so I hope I won't feel the need that much by then.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    5'5
    SW: 158
    CW: 138
    GW: 120-130

I was in a rush to lose weight at the beginning, but now I've hit a healthy weight I've realised that looking good is the least of my worries and I want to take a break from being on a deficit.
    The thing is, all I want is bad food and I have this kind of depressed feeling when I come to the end of my day's calories before 6PM. I've always liked to snack in the evening, that's why I was overweight. I feel like I need to let myself go for a week or two, treat myself, relax and celebrate 20lbs lost since January! Should I keep at a small deficit or should I maintain? No idea what to do folks

Eating at maintenance for a week or two might be just the break you need. Depending on the level of your deficit, if you go right from deficit to maintenance you will notice a scale weight increase (water, mostly) though, and if this is going to freak you out then don't jump right to maintenance - pick a spot below that, but above what you have been eating. Keep tracking, and make room for the food you love.

• yogeshvaraom
    yogeshvaraom Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I miss that really full feeling. without it I find I'm ultra sensitive emotionally.

When I exercise a lot and eat back my calories that helps. for some reason though it is not as satisfying as just plain stuffing my face.

I am trying to find new ways to "fill myself up" and quote but it isn't easy.

right now I'm staying the course and hoping for the best ;--)
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Since you only have 8 or so lbs to lose make sure your deficit is not too high (1/2 lb a week). You will be able to fit more of your favorite foods in with a smaller deficit. I also eat at maintenance 1 to 2 days a week and include refeed days whenever I get that feeling I will eat the house. The closer you get to your goal weight the more your hormones can go haywire in a deficit so I eat a little more 1-2 days a week to try to keep my hormones from making me eat everything in sight. If you feel you need it a diet break for 1-2 weeks at maintenance (and still tracking) may be in order. Read up on lyle mcdonalds articles on refeeds, free meals and diet breaks.