Differences in calories?

Options
streko3a
streko3a Posts: 16 Member
So, I worked out on an elliptical today for 35 minutes. The machine showed that I burned 98 calories, and MFP says 317. Why is there so much of a difference? I worry that I'll overestimate how much calories I burn.

Replies

• lnosgood
    lnosgood Posts: 92
    Options
    I have noticed that some things over-estimate on MFP. ALWAYS use what the machine or your HRM says when doing your calories burned. That way you know you are getting a more accurate reading. =)
  • tkimbre2
    tkimbre2 Posts: 63
    Options
    I have wondered the same thing!
  • twinkle1074
    twinkle1074 Posts: 35
    Options
    Hey I am not sure why your eliptical trainer showed that you burned such a low calorie amount. I am assuming your machine is wrong cuz I worked out on an eliptical trainer today at a moderate pace for 20 mins and I burned at least 250 cals according to the monitor. Unless you were exercising at a snail pace I would assume that you burned more calories than that...also check your heart rate to gauge your intensity.
  • kcsmomma
    kcsmomma Posts: 5
    Options
    I bought a Heart Rate Monitor and love it!! You program it with your age and your weight. Therefore, it is more accurate of a reading.
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    both the estimates on MFP and numbers on the machines are probably incorrect. My machine significantly estimates over MFP. Both are just based on formulas for a typical person.

The best way to record calories burnt is to use a HRM.
  • streko3a
    Options
    Yeah, I guess a HRM is the only option to be sure. So, if I kept my heart rate above 130 how do I estimate calories burnt?
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    There are formulas to estimate that on the net, however they aren't calculators and can get quite complex, if you don't yet own a HRM maybe consider getting one that calculates that for you.
  • streko3a
    Options
    So, the online calculators use VO2 Max. They say if you don't know it just put 35. Trying different calculators I got around 200 calories burnt. Do heart rate monitors use VO2 Max as an input?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Here is information on HRM if you are considering getting one. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

Basically you want one with a chest strap, without one it is only good for knowing what your heart rate is when you ask it. That is useless for calorie calculations.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The machines are only as accurate as the info you entered and even then can be of, what's that? you didn't enter any info and just quick started? Fully expect the calories will be off as the burn is for an average person of average weight and height.
  • streko3a
    Options
    rileysowner, thanks for the link! The information there was very useful to me, I've decided not to rush into buying an HRM. I'll see how my progress goes in next several weeks, and maybe then will reconsider.
  • twinkle1074
    twinkle1074 Posts: 35
    Options
    @ Pandorium I totally agree. I need to get in a habit of putting my info into the eliptical trainer when I use it. Most of the time I just jump on. That will definitely get you a more accurate reading.
  • katlynm
    katlynm Posts: 12
    Options
    exercise machines quote fat calories burned, mfp quotes total calories burned. there is a difference between the two.