Can't Figure Out Calorie Count?

Options
I work as a caregiver and am on my feet for 5 hours straight, pretty much constantly moving, lifting her into her chair, doing her exercises, cleaning, etc. I have no idea how to calculate calories burned for my work day.

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Don't count them. They count as "normal daily activity", which is factored into your MyFitnessPal settings. Set yourself as either "lightly active" or "active" and that should do it.
  • itschanelle
    itschanelle Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    NixThe76 wrote: »
    I work as a caregiver and am on my feet for 5 hours straight, pretty much constantly moving, lifting her into her chair, doing her exercises, cleaning, etc. I have no idea how to calculate calories burned for my work day.

Get a fitbit.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Don't count them. They count as "normal daily activity", which is factored into your MyFitnessPal settings. Set yourself as either "lightly active" or "active" and that should do it.

this.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Don't count them. Weigh yourself at the end of the week. If you've gained weight, then you're eating more than what you burned. If you've lost weight, you're eating less than what you burned. If your weight stays the same, then you know how much you burned, because it is equal to the number of calories you ate.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

Get a fitbit.

I second this.

Turn on negative adjustments from the Fitbit for extra motivations on any lazy days you have.

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

You don't. Work (including housework, yard work & child care) is part of your activity level, and should never be logged as exercise.

Pick one (for example, active), then reevaluate your progress in several weeks.

Work = activity level. Workouts = exercise.

Edited to add: for good "MFP 101" advice, read the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1