Do you go with the suggested macros on MFP or use some other ratio?

Options
Do you go with the suggested macros on MFP or use some other ratio? If you choose another ratio, why?

I have played around with the percentages, but honestly, I don't really know what would work best for my body or weight loss/nutrition goals. Trying to figure out something I can stick with and be reasonably confident is a healthy ratio.

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I can't remember if I am 35/30/35 or 40/30/30 right now (I had to reset it at one point). I felt that the protein requirement was too low. I want to preserve as much LBM as possible.
  • cainelfc93
    cainelfc93 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Nope. Never have, never will :)
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    No way. I do my own thing.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I prefer a lot more fat.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've found many different suggested ratios for all kinds of reasons, all over the map.

Exactly. When the experts don't agree, it's probably not useful to worry about it too much as long as you are in the right ballpark.

I'm usually around 50/20/30 or 50/30/20 without really trying.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I can't remember if I am 35/30/35 or 40/30/30 right now (I had to reset it at one point). I felt that the protein requirement was too low. I want to preserve as much LBM as possible.

Is that carbs/fat/protein? Did you choose it according to what felt right for you, or is it a suggested ratio somewhere else?

I've found many different suggested ratios for all kinds of reasons, all over the map.

35 C/ 30 F/ 35 P

My reasoning for that was this: I need adequate carbs because I'm a runner. I need protein to keep my lean muscle mass (I do not think you should go as low as 20% protein as a poster above says they do--that's not in the same ballpark as 30 or 35). And fat's just kind of left over. I don't think I read this ratio anywhere, I've just been at this for almost 9 months and I know this works.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I haven't touched the MFP settings for macros. I'm not an athlete or very active person. I don't have a medical condition.
    I don't worry about them too much. I glance at them and usually I am pretty close to what MFP gave me without trying.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    40 carb 30 fat and 30 protein has served me pretty well.
  • zeroh13
    zeroh13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have my own, 60/20/20. The MFP macros don't really fit well with a vegetarian diet, which has a good number of carbs. I calculated my protein requirements based on the grams my body needs and 20% was the closest to that. I really don't need my protein higher as I'm not trying to bulk up. I'm flexible with the grams of total fat, but I pay close attention to the amount of saturated fat, I try to keep that at 10% or lower.
  • itschanelle
    itschanelle Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do something like 30C/35P/35F.

I need protein to minimize lean muscle mass loss and enough fat to keep me full for as long as possible. The remaining amount is carbs, which is plenty to make my workouts (mostly lifting with some cardio) effective.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I don't give a damn about any macaroons. I am all calories and excersise and I eat whatever I please.
  • pmg2000m
    pmg2000m Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I feel pretty good with 40 carbs/ 30 fat/ 30 protein. I think the MFP default had me at 50 carbs to start, and I seem to do better with a little less carbs.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I'm another 40/30/30 girl. I chose that a few years ago back before I really knew much of anything, because that's the ratio that The Zone diet is based on. Even though I'm not really following that diet, that macro ratio seems to work pretty well for me. Although I still have some tweaking to do to consistently reach my protein goals... but that's a whole other story.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've changed my macros according to where my trainer wants me to be. Right now it's 45% protein, 30% carbs, and 25% fat. That protein goal is really tough -- but I'm trying!
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options

This. I'm at 35/30/35 for this reason.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The truth is it doesn't matter all that much.

You can read a zillion studies, listen to the gym rats and trainers who will all extol the virtues of ridiculously high amounts of protein, watch the low-carb fad diets come and (hopefully) go the way of the low-fat diets that were all the rage 20 years ago. It all mostly comes down to opinion.

We all need a balance of fat, protein and carbs in our diet. If your total calories that you eat are less than those you burn, you'll lose weight. Unless you have a specific medical requirement (e.g. diabetes) or you're an elite competitive athlete on a specific training regimen, the rest mostly comes down to personal preference.

FWIW I'm at 20% protein, 30% fat and 50% carbs. Often I'm a bit over on fats and under on carbs, and I have to really make an effort to hit my protein goal. But it's working fine for me.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I'm at 40/40/20 for now, but just based on this section of the program I'm on (building muscle). It really varies depending on what I'm going for at the time.