My work activity - what would you put for calories burned?

Options
Hi I am new to this,

My work related activity is 15,000-20,000 steps (according to various apps)
Carrying 5lbs of equipement in my raised hands in front of my body for 6 hours.
Sweeping with a broom for 3 hours.

I work seven days a week cleaning litter from shopping mall parking lots (just to give context).

Trying to be accurate, based on MFP I am supposed to eat 2500 calories a day, any advice on if that's right or wrong?

Thanks

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You don't. Set your activity level to active or very active and eat what it gives you. That accounts for your day-to-day activities outside of exercise.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    houghj3 wrote: »
    Hi I am new to this,

Carrying 5lbs of equipement in my raised hands in front of my body for 6 hours.

I work seven days a week cleaning litter from shopping mall parking lots (just to give context).

Trying to be accurate, based on MFP I am supposed to eat 2500 calories a day, any advice on if that's right or wrong?

Thanks

Eat 2500 cals plus a portion of your exercise cals (if you work out). Do it for 4 weeks, see how much weight you lose, adjust your calories up or down as necessary.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Carrying 5lbs of equipment in my raised hands in front of my body for 6 hours.

Work (including housework, yard work & child care) is part of your activity level, and should never be logged as exercise. Choose "very active," then reevaluate your progress in a few weeks.

Have you checked the Apps tab to see if any of yours sync with MFP? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps For example, when you connect a Fitbit MFP adjusts your daily calorie goal to TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, aka your maintenance calories) minus deficit.
  • houghj3
    houghj3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I guess my body is just used to many more calories. I will see how it goes for a couple of weeks.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I guess my body is just used to many more calories. I will see how it goes for a couple of weeks.

Your MFP calorie goal is your activity level minus your deficit. To understand how MFP works, read the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I clean for a living. I'm carrying vacuums up and down steps, I'm on my feet all day. Sometimes cleaning 11 hours per day. I don't log any of that. My body is used to that anyway and it's included in my daily calorie goal. So I only log gym workouts.
    Be sure to have your activity level adjusted appropriately. Your clearly not sedentary, for example.
    Also be sure to weigh everything you consume with a food scale and make sure that you log it accurately. This way you'll be sure that your eating at a deficit.
  • houghj3
    houghj3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks everyone. I will keep posting as questions come up.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I just got a flex today!