Waking up super hungry?

hello,

I've only been using the app for 10 days, but I've been calorie counting on and off for years. Whenever I eat less than 2100 calories I wake up feeling painfully hungry around 2am, and I usually just fight it off until 5am, the problem being I can't get to sleep and I end up eating breakfast so early that I'm hungry all morning waiting for lunch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    what's your stats?

are you thirsty?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Have you tried having a snack right before bed?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Plan your calories so you can have a midmorning snack before lunch.
  • emilyvotaw8
    emilyvotaw8 Posts: 10 Member
    I am 5'4" and 120 pounds. I always try drinking 16 oz of water before I eat anything when I wake up feeling super hungry. I wait as long as I can (those 3 hours tossing and turning in bed) and then I get up and eat breakfast.

So far as snacking, I have a 150 calorie mid-morning snack, but that often isn't very satisfying. Usually fat free yogurt or a piece of whole wheat and a small amount of nut butter.

Snacking at night is hard because it's usually a huge struggle to save my calories after lunch, if I didn't need to watch myself I could definitely eat 400 calorie mid afternoon snack and a 500 calorie dinner and a 300 calorie late night snack before bed but I simply can't afford it calorically
  • arian10daddy
    arian10daddy Posts: 2,758 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

a bad idea
  • arian10daddy
    arian10daddy Posts: 2,758 Member
    maybe try some fulfilling foods in dinner... more proteins, make you feel full for longer...
  • Sued0nim
    edited May 2015
    what kind of protein and fat macros are you achieving
  • Nony_Mouse

a bad idea

Care to explain why?
  • Sued0nim

a bad idea

Care to explain why?

shhh.... dem feelz
  • emilyvotaw8
    I am interested in why a snack before bed is a bad idea -- but I'll try eating more protein throughout the day, and more balanced macros. Maybe that's what is off
  • Sued0nim
    I am 5'4" and 120 pounds. I always try drinking 16 oz of water before I eat anything when I wake up feeling super hungry. I wait as long as I can (those 3 hours tossing and turning in bed) and then I get up and eat breakfast.

So far as snacking, I have a 150 calorie mid-morning snack, but that often isn't very satisfying. Usually fat free yogurt or a piece of whole wheat and a small amount of nut butter.

Snacking at night is hard because it's usually a huge struggle to save my calories after lunch, if I didn't need to watch myself I could definitely eat 400 calorie mid afternoon snack and a 500 calorie dinner and a 300 calorie late night snack before bed but I simply can't afford it calorically

Right, so you have a BMI of 20.4

And your ticker says you want to be clinically underweight .. 10lb weight loss goal?

Is that right?

what's your activity level and your exercise level?

And why are you wanting to lose further weight?
  • Sued0nim
    I am interested in why a snack before bed is a bad idea -- but I'll try eating more protein throughout the day, and more balanced macros. Maybe that's what is off

It's not

Not just your protein but your fats too

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member

a bad idea

Care to explain why?

Some people say it is a bad idea because you don't feel like you've eaten, since you are asleep during the time it fills your stomach, so it can lead to overeating. I'm not sure that applies when someone is waking up in the middle of the night because they are hungry.
  • Nony_Mouse

a bad idea

Care to explain why?

Some people say it is a bad idea because you don't feel like you've eaten, since you are asleep during the time it fills your stomach, so it can lead to overeating. I'm not sure that applies when someone is waking up in the middle of the night because they are hungry.

That's even more ridiculous than the answer I was anticipating from the person who posted it.
  • Nony_Mouse
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Right, so you have a BMI of 20.4

And your ticker says you want to be clinically underweight .. 10lb weight loss goal?

Is that right?

what's your activity level and your exercise level?

And why are you wanting to lose further weight?

^^This.

Emily, this is not a healthy goal.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Hmmm... Nope.
  • emilyvotaw8
    I am lightly active, and I do various cardio for one to one and a half hours most days. Typically running, elliptical or stationary biking as well as light calisthenics.

I recently gained 10 pounds after starting birth control and eating slightly over 2000 calories a day for a couple months with reduced exercise, so I'm trying to get back to that point.

Thank you all again for taking the time to give me suggestions! I probably need to cut my carb intake and increase my protein and healthy fat intake.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    110 at 5'4" is underweight. You've bought into media hype. You probably need to increase your weight bearing activities, not cut your carb intake.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    I am lightly active, and I do various cardio for one to one and a half hours most days. Typically running, elliptical or stationary biking as well as light calisthenics.

I recently gained 10 pounds after starting birth control and eating slightly over 2000 calories a day for a couple months with reduced exercise, so I'm trying to get back to that point.

Thank you all again for taking the time to give me suggestions! I probably need to cut my carb intake and increase my protein and healthy fat intake.

Hard to say without looking at your dairy. Could you open your diary to see whether that's a plausible idea?

I would say incorporate strength training into your routine - you need to maintain muscle mass - your cardio program is pretty high for someone who has a normal BMI. You need more muscle. That's JMHO.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Can't see your diary, so it's impossible to offer anything other than guesses.