Been advised to drink protein shakes

Options
Do I need to though? Don't really want processed stuff if I'm honest I would rather a tin of tuna but was told the drinks would get there quicker?

Replies

• csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    What idiot told you that?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No, you do not need protein shakes. I am guessing the person who told them is working at the gym, and the gym happens to sell the shakes?
  • bblondeclair
    bblondeclair Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My fitness instructor who works at the gym
  • csman49
    Options
    Find a new instructor.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    csman49 wrote: »
    What idiot told you that?
    My fitness instructor who works at the gym

:bigsmile:

yeah.. no

you can get your protein from your diet without adding protein powders if you don't wish to

do you know how much protein you are aiming for a day?

• bblondeclair
    Options
    Have no idea lol I thought Eating fish, eggs and chicken daily was ok
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's only sensible advice if your fitness instructor knows you aren't getting enough protein in your diet AND you are unable to change your diet to meet your protein goal.

Protein shakes are just a convenient way to supplement if required - they aren't magic. "Getting there quicker" compared to normal food is completely irrelevant to 99.9% of people.

Might be worth asking your PT if he actually has qualifications in nutrition.
  • bblondeclair
    Options
    Right ok thanks. Do I need a certain amount then?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A very common recommendation is 1g per lb of lean body mass (as a minimum goal) for people strength training in a calorie deficit.
    Have a guess at your body fat percentage and don't worry about being ultra precise.
  • alvinteekl
    alvinteekl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Go natural. Source your daily protein requirements from poultry, eggs...
  • bblondeclair
    Options
    Yeah I'm really not fussed on protein shakess ill stick to my food based proteins thanks everyone x
  • csman49
    Options
    Beautiful! And a great reason to eat more Steak :)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    csman49 wrote: »
    Beautiful! And a great reason to eat more Steak :)

we need a reason? :open_mouth::wink:

protein goal - I used to always say 0.8-1g protein per lb of LBM, but read something someone linked for me the other day which made it easier (if you don't know your BF%) and it boiled down to

0.64g protein per lb of bodyweight to 0.82g per lb of bodyweight .. and although you can eat more there is no additional benefit over the maximum amount which is designed for pro bodybuilders IIRC

so I'd go with the 0.64g protein per lb bodyweight as a minimum

HTH
  • bblondeclair
    Options
    So 0.64 x 17 stone 12?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    So 0.64 x 17 stone 12?

that's 160g of protein, which sounds a massive amount to hit to me if I'm honest - I must find that link again

what's your calorie limit?
  • bblondeclair
    Options
    1500 and I eat half my exercise
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    Protein at 0.82 g per lb of body weight.
    Fat at 0.35 g per lb of body weight.
    Carbs get the rest.

Whatever that works out to for how much you are going to eat as a % doesn't matter much except that is how MFP displays it.

But when setting your goals, you can keep increasing the % until you hit the grams desired.

That's one simple way, since % doesn't really scale well in actual use.

Protein should be at LBM not bodyweight ...0.8-1g protein per lb of LBM, agree with fat at bodyweight

These should be viewed as minimums

To avoid the whole need to estimate BF% so as to use a recommended figure for LBM, I just used the recommendation from this research to get the .82 g/lb/BW. Which can then be viewed as maximum needed, but attempt to hit it.

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    1500 and I eat half my exercise

that seems quite low at 250lb .. is that what MFP suggested?
  • bblondeclair
    Options
    It suggested 1300 lol so I put it up
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    So 0.64 x 17 stone 12?

that's 160g of protein, which sounds a massive amount to hit to me if I'm honest - I must find that link again

The numbers you originally quoted seem correct. I am eating .75 g per pound of body weight, which is 154g (originally calculated as 35% of my daily calories) which is a good number for me and right in the middle of the range you quoted. (I am also eating reduced carb as a T2D so it makes sense I would be a little higher in the protein)