800-1000 calories a day?

Options
Janevien77
Janevien77 Posts: 8 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everyone!
I have a question that will probably get a lot of negative responses but I want to ask it anyway. 6 months ago I was at my goal weight, happy, energetic and optimistic. Now I've gained all the weight I'd lost and a bit over it - 13kg. I've binged for four consecutive days for no reason at all besides boredom and.. well, tasty food. And by binge I mean over 4000 calories for the day, if not even more. I'm disgusted and discouraged. Do you think it will be okay if I go for 800-1000 calories for the next, say, 2 days and then go back to 1200? I feel really determined to finally do something about this situation and I know starving yourself isn't the best idea but after all this binging a little restriction might help me with discipline.. and the scale will go a bit down which might help with motivation as well. What do you think?

P.S. I'm 18yo, 166cm and 70 kg.

Replies

• toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I would just get back to a reasonable deficit and stay there for a really long time. I have done some versions of fasting and it never did what I thought it would.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You know it's not the best idea, and want people to rationalize it for you.

You're playing games, instead of owning your health. Take responsibility for your behaviors. Give yourself the respect and power. You can be healthy.

Just start eating at the appropriate calorie count today. No need to try tricks and gimmicks. no need to do two days of 800-1000 calories, and then up to 1200. Just figure out what is healthy for your ideal weight/lifestyle, and starting doing that now.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Too restrictive.....your BMI is barely into overweight and you're "18". You need to eat.

1200 is too low for you, let alone going to as low as 800.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Move on, eat as normal, and look into why you've been binging. At your age, 1200 is too low a goal to fuel your body. Set your goal to .5-1 pound a week.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Binge and restrict are part of the same cycle - you need to break the cycle not reinforce it by punishing yourself.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Janevien77 wrote: »
    Hello everyone!
    I have a question that will probably get a lot of negative responses but I want to ask it anyway. 6 months ago I was at my goal weight, happy, energetic and optimistic. Now I've gained all the weight I'd lost and a bit over it - 13kg. I've binged for four consecutive days for no reason at all besides boredom and.. well, tasty food. And by binge I mean over 4000 calories for the day, if not even more. I'm disgusted and discouraged. Do you think it will be okay if I go for 800-1000 calories for the next, say, 2 days and then go back to 1200? I feel really determined to finally do something about this situation and I know starving yourself isn't the best idea but after all this binging a little restriction might help me with discipline.. and the scale will go a bit down which might help with motivation as well. What do you think?

You've already given yourself the answer. Eat at a reasonable deficit to lose the weight in a healthy way. You have to look at this as a lifestyle, not a diet. Doing some fad diet to lose the weight quickly is a recipe for failure.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Janevien77 wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

You've already given yourself the answer. Eat at a reasonable deficit to lose the weight in a healthy way. You have to look at this as a lifestyle, not a diet. Doing some fad diet to lose the weight quickly is a recipe for failure.

This
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Break the binge and starve cycle by getting back on track with your eating plan.
  • fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Get off the calorie roller coaster. Don't binge, don't restrict to an unhealthy amount -- just pick a reasonable number and stick with it.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I think you have an eating disorder and should look for a therapist instead of falling further down the hole. You need to find out why you are binging, instead of trying to trigger more binges by starving yourself.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    agree with @sofaking6 you need to figure out why you are doing this before you can successfully change the pattern
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Your eighteen, join this group, read their stickies and learn the secret to staying at a healthy weight for the rest of your life. Your welcome.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3817-eat-more-2-weigh-less
  • Jen2133
    Jen2133 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes we focus too much on calorie counting and not enough on lifestyle. Do you have a sport or activity that you enjoy? Perhaps adding more activity – even walking or hiking, will help you find a consistent weight. 18 is pretty young! Get out there and enjoy some movement :)
  • Janevien77
    Janevien77 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I appreciate all of your opinions, just needed some advice/support.. call it whatever you like :) My initial idea was something like fasting for a day or two and then going back to normal.. But I guess it isn't that great of an idea after all..
    The thing is whatever I do, however hard I try, I always get back to 68-70kg. I've weighed less, I've weighed more but that seems to be the point I always get back to.. And I don't feel comfortable at this weight. I'm not obsessed with the numbers on the scale , I just want to feel well and fit. I also realise some of it is muscle since I've been exercising for a while now (mostly low impact and 15-30 min workouts)
    The overeating/binging is due to personal issues and loads of work that I have to do.. It's not and ED, I'm sure of it (have done some reading on the topic).
    Anyway, tomorrow is a new day and I hope I'll do better than today.. That's a quote I really like by the way "Be better than you were yesterday" :)
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    No. No. No. Bmi isn't the end all be all of a picture of your health but you're just barely even considered overweight. You shouldn't even be at twelve hundred calories let alone trying to go below that. You even know that it's not ok to do. Why try something you know is wrong.

• walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If you restricted that much, you'd most likely set up a cycle of bingeing and restricting. BTDT, wouldn't recommend.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to criticize, only to help - if you are using food as a drug to soothe and de-stress yourself to the tune of 4000 calories per day, and then hating on yourself for it to the point where you're considering not eating at all, you might want to take another look at BED. There are even threads and groups here where you could maybe lurk and see if what others say strikes a chord with you. Nobody has to know - I'm not trying to convince you of anything but I did see all of the red flags, so...