starvation and weight loss

Options
so i do alot of reading online and have seen that if you starve yourself throughout the day and than finally eat at the end of it but not go over your calorie limit your body will think you are going to starve yourself again and hold on to fat because its in fear of starvation i know you cant take everything online for truth so i was wondering if you knew anything about this myth or truth

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Myth
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Total myth.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Myth. How would you explain starvation in impoverished countries where people are walking skeletons? They don't look like they're holding onto fat, do they?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    100% myth
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Myth. Different things can cause your metabolism to slow down some, but not enough to stop weight loss all together. If this was true then no one would ever starve to death.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Hmmm . . .why do people (including myself) swear by 16:8 fasting then?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I am genuinely curious about this. I keep seeing here that starvation mode is a myth, yet I too have heard over and over (from many sources, including Weight Watchers) that if you don't eat enough your body will think it is starving and slow your metabolism and hold into fat. Are there scientific articles anyone can post about the starvation mode myth? Am interested in reading more about this.
  • forgtmenot
    Options

Why do you "swear by it"? What does it supposedly do to you?
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Maybe because it is easier to create a calorie deficit within a window of eating?
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I am genuinely curious about this. I keep seeing here that starvation mode is a myth, yet I too have heard over and over (from many sources, including Weight Watchers) that if you don't eat enough your body will think it is starving and slow your metabolism and hold into fat. Are there scientific articles anyone can post about the starvation mode myth? Am interested in reading more about this.

Just google the Minnesota starvation experiment. There has been more research since then, but that's still the most well-known.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    forgtmenot wrote: »

I find that it controls my appetite. Much easier for me to stick to a deficit when I'm doing it than when I'm not.
  • courtneystricker
    courtneystricker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thank you for all the info its my huband that dose this not intentionally but i feared it was not good for him thank you for keeping mu mind at ease
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eating at a severe deficit over an extended period of time will slow down your BMR. But it does not stop it or cause your body to hold onto fat. Your body still needs energy to operate. It doesn't just switch to solar mode. Starving people do not, in general, have trouble losing weight.
  • forgtmenot
    edited May 2015
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

Your metabolism may slow down a small amount to adjust to a very low calorie diet, but it will not slow enough to prevent weight loss entirely. The main reason you don't want to lower your intake too much is it can cause a faster rate of muscle loss while losing weight, it can cause you to not get enough nutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc), and it can be harder to stick to a diet of you are starving all the time.

*This only applies to people who under eat, this would not apply to someone who just ate one big meal everyday but was still meeting their calorie goals.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I find that it controls my appetite. Much easier for me to stick to a deficit when I'm doing it than when I'm not.

How did I know?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    i know you cant take everything online for truth ...

This is the real myth. You actually can.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Watch an episode of Naked and Afraid. I've seen people lose up to 40 pounds in their 21 days of their "survival" trip because they are literally starving. I wouldn't recommend going to that extreme, though--those people are nuts. I wouldn't last 2 days. :*
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    --those people are nuts.

I thought they pixelate out the nuts.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

How did I know?

Yeah, but my point is, it sounds like her husband is basically doing an established regimen and she shouldn't worry about its safety.