starvation and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• showey27
    showey27 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    it is funny because if you enter too few calories into MFP there is a warning at the bottom that says you are eating too few calories....
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    showey27 wrote: »
    it is funny because if you enter too few calories into MFP there is a warning at the bottom that says you are eating too few calories....

That has nothing to do with starvation but because with so few calories you likely aren't getting the nutrients (macros) you need.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    [
    forgtmenot wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    I am genuinely curious about this. I keep seeing here that starvation mode is a myth, yet I too have heard over and over (from many sources, including Weight Watchers) that if you don't eat enough your body will think it is starving and slow your metabolism and hold into fat. Are there scientific articles anyone can post about the starvation mode myth? Am interested in reading more about this.

Your metabolism may slow down a small amount to adjust to a very low calorie diet, but it will not slow enough to prevent weight loss entirely. The main reason you don't want to lower your intake too much is it can cause a faster rate of muscle loss while losing weight, it can cause you to not get enough nutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc), and it can be harder to stick to a diet of you are starving all the time.

*This only applies to people who under eat, this would not apply to someone who just ate one big meal everyday but was still meeting their calorie goals.

Okay, this is what I have heard before, and people have called it "starvation mode." Semantics, I guess. Below is what I have heard before and I guess this is true.

From Weight Watchers:
    Restricting calories during weight loss lowers metabolism because the body becomes more efficient, requiring fewer calories to perform the necessary daily functions for survival. Consequently, this can slow (but not stop) the anticipated rate of weight loss.

For example, if an individual needs 2,000 calories per day to maintain weight, reducing intake to 1,500 calories, assuming exercise stays the same, should provide a 1 pound per week weight loss (Note: 1 pound of weight is equivalent to about 3,500 calories). Furthermore, reducing to 1,000 calories should result in a weight loss of 2 pounds per week and going down to 500 calories a day should result in a weight loss of 3 pounds per week. However, if an individual actually reduces their intake to 500 calories, the weight loss would not likely be a steady 3 pounds per week because of the reduced metabolic rate. It would likely be around 2¼ to 2½ pounds.
  • sperkins68
    sperkins68 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The reason people who go long periods durin the day without eating tend not to lose weight or even gain weigh is because by the time you go to eat you are so hungry you over eat, and you are less likely to burn caleries later in the day then you are to eat the calories earlier.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    [
    forgtmenot wrote: »
    I am genuinely curious about this. I keep seeing here that starvation mode is a myth, yet I too have heard over and over (from many sources, including Weight Watchers) that if you don't eat enough your body will think it is starving and slow your metabolism and hold into fat. Are there scientific articles anyone can post about the starvation mode myth? Am interested in reading more about this.

Your metabolism may slow down a small amount to adjust to a very low calorie diet, but it will not slow enough to prevent weight loss entirely. The main reason you don't want to lower your intake too much is it can cause a faster rate of muscle loss while losing weight, it can cause you to not get enough nutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc), and it can be harder to stick to a diet of you are starving all the time.

*This only applies to people who under eat, this would not apply to someone who just ate one big meal everyday but was still meeting their calorie goals.

Okay, this is what I have heard before, and people have called it "starvation mode." Semantics, I guess. Below is what I have heard before and I guess this is true.

From Weight Watchers:
    Restricting calories during weight loss lowers metabolism because the body becomes more efficient, requiring fewer calories to perform the necessary daily functions for survival. Consequently, this can slow (but not stop) the anticipated rate of weight loss.

For example, if an individual needs 2,000 calories per day to maintain weight, reducing intake to 1,500 calories, assuming exercise stays the same, should provide a 1 pound per week weight loss (Note: 1 pound of weight is equivalent to about 3,500 calories). Furthermore, reducing to 1,000 calories should result in a weight loss of 2 pounds per week and going down to 500 calories a day should result in a weight loss of 3 pounds per week. However, if an individual actually reduces their intake to 500 calories, the weight loss would not likely be a steady 3 pounds per week because of the reduced metabolic rate. It would likely be around 2¼ to 2½ pounds.

Yes, the above is true. That 500 calorie per day would have to be sustained over a certain period (and I confess not knowing exactly how long it would take but it's certainly more than 24 hours) in order to cause a metabolic slowdown. Even then, you can see, there wouldn't be a complete end to fat loss, just a slowdown. People tend to post that they are not losing at all and then wonder if they are in starvation mode, when the most likely culprit is that they are eating more than they should be for fat loss.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    showey27 wrote: »

There are other serious health risks that come from undereating
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    sperkins68 wrote: »
    The reason people who go long periods durin the day without eating tend not to lose weight or even gain weigh is because by the time you go to eat you are so hungry you over eat, and you are less likely to burn caleries later in the day then you are to eat the calories earlier.

Meal timing has no effect on weight loss.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    sperkins68 wrote: »

Meal timing has no effect on weight loss.

This.

Plus, your body burns calories 24/7. The majority of your daily calorie burn comes from just keeping your body alive, whether asleep or awake, night or day.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

If you chronically undereat for a long time, like many months, your body will start to use more and more muscle to feed itself (as muscle takes calories to maintain and fat really doesn't). Less muscle means a slower metabolism.

This isn't going to happen in a few of weeks, much less a few days.