Running 4x weekly + yoga, losing inches but not weight.

Options
Is there a point when I will start to see the scale move? I understand that I am getting stronger and muscle is developing, and that's possibly why the scale is reading the same. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy about the inches lost, it would just be nice to see the scale go down too.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're in a calorie deficit, yes you should get to that point. How long have you been at this routine of running/yoga/losing inches?
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are in the sweet spot of losing fat and gaining muscle. Enjoy it! Muscle is more dense than fat, hence the scales are not moving but the body is shrinking. Perfect! If it's been like this for a few weeks, and you really want the scales to go down as well, then you need to reduce your calories (or increase exercise) a little more, but not too much, seems to me you got a good thing going on right now.
  • cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    csman49 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are in the sweet spot of losing fat and gaining muscle. Enjoy it! Muscle is more dense than fat, hence the scales are not moving but the body is shrinking. Perfect! If it's been like this for a few weeks, and you really want the scales to go down as well, then you need to reduce your calories (or increase exercise) a little more, but not too much, seems to me you got a good thing going on right now.

Exactly this!!! You want to have what is happening happen. weight is just a number. If the inches are falling off that is awesome and what everyone strives for

• AdannaIkoli2015
    AdannaIkoli2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lucky you, as long as you are losing inches then it is not a problem, you could shake up your exercise routine a bit if you want to see the scale go down
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    For the last 6 months I have not only stalled in weight loss, but gained 5 pounds!!! Yet I am thinner each and every month. I'm also a lot fitter and stronger obviously considering what I can do now compared to 6 months ago.

I'm doing this to be more healthy, not to lose weight, so I know I'm making the right progress.

Heck, if I was SUPER fit and SUPER strong, I could be my original weight before I started all this. That's unlikely to happen though. But a lot of NFL linemen weigh what I used to weigh, and I don't think they are in that bad of shape.

At some point I am sure the scale will start dropping again. But I have other ways I measure progress than one number. Like how fast I can run certain distances now, how far I can run, how many reps of exercises I can do for exercises I used to think were impossible, etc.
  • senguehard
    senguehard Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I feel better about the situation and feel as though I'm making the right choices.