To cheat or not to cheat..

Options
In the past, I've always gave myself a cheat day. One day to get all of my cravings out of the way. The only bad part is, I would sort of go overboard. This time around, I don't plan on quitting. This is a permanent lifestyle change.
The question is, should you have a cheat day, and if so how do I go about it?

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    It's not cheating.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. To cheat implies something bad. Having a higher than average calorie meal once in a while is ok.

We still have to live. ;)
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I'd rather work those cravings into my regular diet, in sane portions, rather than potentially undo all my hard work in one day.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Its completely up to you. I had a cheat day yesterday but that was because of extreme circumstances not under my control. I'm being extra good all this week to make up for it.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    Its completely up to you. I had a cheat day yesterday but that was because of extreme circumstances not under my control. I'm being extra good all this week to make up for it.

What?
  • noxxmod
    noxxmod Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. I was doing 1 "cheat" meal throughout the week - 1 breakfast, 1 lunch, 1 dinner. I still tried to keep it in hand and. I consider 2 pieces of mararita pizza a cheat meal. It kept me satisfied.
  • mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Nope. You're training for life, might as well enjoy it. My diet is 80% nutrient dense foods and I leave room for treats on the daily. I never feel deprived, never feel like I have to "cheat", and every couple of weeks I may have a meal that I just don't track, but I still keep my head on straight and don't order the whole menu.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Learn to incorporate the foods you love into your daily calories.
  • noxxmod
    noxxmod Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    And I agree with aimeerace. We still have to live.
  • vidxdeword
    vidxdeword Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Have a workout day instead of a cheat day, then eat the food you crave (within youre calorie goal).
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I naturally tend to eat at a deficit during the week and at or a little above maintenance on the weekends. Maintenance calories if I go to the gym is about 2300 for me, so that's plenty of tasty treats worked in amongst the healthy things if I want.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    I'd rather work those cravings into my regular diet, in sane portions, rather than potentially undo all my hard work in one day.

Yep.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Don't call it a cheat day. If you really want something, weigh it, log it, and if you go over, you go over. Make up for it the rest of the week. But make sure you log it, as you will hold yourself accountable that way.

I went 1000 calories over on Saturday as it was a special occasion and between desserts and drinking, I was way overboard. But I logged every calorie and seeing it so far past my goal reminded me that I need to do a lot of cardio this week as well as eat at my goal.

Don't deprive yourself. If you really want something, eat it (just maybe less of it than you normally would). If you mess up one day, just continue with your goals the next day.
  • SamanthaLeeann1
    SamanthaLeeann1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat meal, not day, once per week, and it works great for me. I still meet my goals for the week and keep losing weight. I think it is important to let yourself indulge sometimes, and eating well for 20/21 meals for the week is good enough for me. I always plan my cheat meals, usually on Friday nights I have a nice dinner that goes over my calories and drinks with friends. Do whatever works for you, eating well 6/7 days of the week is still a lifestyle change!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I eat the foods I love, in moderation, as my calories allow. I don't consider it cheating. Even tomorrow's lunch at Cheesecake Factory.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    If a cheat day means you pay no attention to caloric intake, I don't believe in cheat days.

If I ate in the quantities I wanted to eat, I'd probably eat 3000 calories a day, and my weight would spike the next day and destroy a week's worth of progress. I already have a hard time keeping my weekends under control and when you look at my weight chart there is a regular 7-day spike from the weekends.

Cheat days just blow your diet.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »

What?

@_incogNEATo_ My husband went in to hospital last night so I was really worried and ate a lot, even things I'm not supposed to eat on my diet. He back home but still sick. I'm working off the extra calories by running upstairs to check on him. Not cheat day for me for a long time.
  • petey200745601
    petey200745601 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    vidxdeword wrote: »
    Have a workout day instead of a cheat day, then eat the food you crave (within youre calorie goal).
    That's an interesting thought. Just work a little harder when you want something. Earn it.
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    What works for me is "no cheat" days. I don't understand planning to purposefully cheat. Put a game plan in place and plan to stick to it is my strategy. What I envision is one cheat day spiraling out of control into two days, a week, a month - you get the picture. I'm in this to WIN this and cheaters NEVER win!
  • smittybobitty917
    smittybobitty917 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I find a day off of logging it all every few weeks hasn't completely undone anything. Just don't do it too frequently or it will cut into your results.

If you're at 500cal/day deficit, going over by 1500cal (the content of many restaurant desserts) would effectively undo 3 days of staying on your program.