No Progress

Options
Well,
After 2 months of no sugar, no gluten, limit of calories, etc.. + walking everyday.. I have lost..... wait for it........ 0 pounds.

I do not look, feel, or have any measurable gain in my progress. I am still overweight at 160 (5'4" female)

I don't understand what is wrong here. I am eating healthy 3 times a day snacking only occasionally and on healthy things. My entire diet was turned upside down. No junk food, no pop, no dessert. I don't even eat potatoes and pasta more than once a week....

my diet MOSTLY consists of rice like wild rice/brown rice, Beans of all sorts, Veggies, and frozen chunks of fruit when I'm craving sweet things. I feel healthier no doubt about that... I kicked my addiction to sugar and caffeine to the curb. Which was unpleasant.

After 2 months of living " clean " feeling unsatisfied, wanting to eat thing that i like and want... for the greater good of health and weight loss so i can stop feeling insecure about myself. I feel like a dunce. I feel like i should not have stopped eating what i wanted to begin with because my weight the last 2 years have not gone up or down.

I don't know what to do. I am very ready to just starve the weight off because it seems to be the only really actually effective manner of weight loss. I know 9k ppl are gonna jump down my throat and say no its not or " you will put the weight back " but honestly i just don't care anymore. I have been trying to lose weight for years. Nothing is wrong with me i have had my blood tested and everything else. I am healthy by my dr/nutritionists standards but overweight.

I have been walking a mile each day on top of all that. Also, yes i am getting enough calories in the day but not so many that i am not losing weight. I went from easily eating 2,500-3,500 calories a day from pop,energy drinks, chips, etc. Just eating when i want and what i want.

Anyways yes i am sure i have somewhere along the way lost some fat and replaced it with muscle but my waist/thighs/etc are no smaller and my weight is still 160 ( give or take a pound or 2 )

it is very disheartening and i really am just ready to stop trying.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Hows your logging? Are you using a food scale, using accurate entries, using the recipe builder, logging everything you put in your mouth, accurately tracking exercise calories if you eat them back?
  • annavalente
    annavalente Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hows your logging? Are you using a food scale, using accurate entries, using the recipe builder, logging everything you put in your mouth, accurately tracking exercise calories if you eat them back?

All of this...how many calories are u eating daily?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The most common problems we see come from underestimating calories eaten and overestimating calories burned.

Opening your diary might help to get you more specific advice if you're comfortable doing so.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by several hundred calories when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.

And there's something to be said for the fact that some people just burn fewer calories than the generic equations predict. If that's the case for you, you may need to adjust your calories a little lower until you start losing again.
  • anmonte87x
    anmonte87x Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'll start logging them. It's just hard to imagine eating over 2,500 calories of good foods 3x a day vs drinking soda and eating *kitten* food all day long. I could be wrong though.
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    1. Excluding certain foods such as gluten, sugar, junk food, pop, dessert, potatoes and pasta does not imply weight loss. Excluding certain food so that total calorie intake is lower than before does.

2. Including certain foods such as "wild rice/brown rice, Beans of all sorts, Veggies, and frozen chunks of fruit" does not imply weight loss if you eat these in excess.

3. Living "clean" improves health, but does not imply weight loss.

4. "Eating healthy 3 times a day snacking only occasionally and on healthy things" is not an accurate measure of calories.

5. "I don't know what to do."--How about start using MyFitnessPal as it was intended?
  • mlschuetz
    mlschuetz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    anmonte87x wrote: »
    I'll start logging them. It's just hard to imagine eating over 2,500 calories of good foods 3x a day vs drinking soda and eating *kitten* food all day long. I could be wrong though.

You'd really be surprised. I was the same way, but really, a coke would fill me up whereas water doesnt as much so i would eat more. As bad as coke is for you, for me it was a total appetite supressant (not condoning it and NEVER going back to it). When i started logging my weight, i was really surprised at how fast I would get up to my 1300 cal limit (1300 cal if i am sedentary, more (up to 1700 if i exercise)

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Well,
    After 2 months of no sugar, no gluten, limit of calories, etc.. + walking everyday.. I have lost..... wait for it........ 0 pounds.

I do not look, feel, or have any measurable gain in my progress. I am still overweight at 160 (5'4" female)

I don't understand what is wrong here. I am eating healthy 3 times a day snacking only occasionally and on healthy things. My entire diet was turned upside down. No junk food, no pop, no dessert. I don't even eat potatoes and pasta more than once a week....

my diet MOSTLY consists of rice like wild rice/brown rice, Beans of all sorts, Veggies, and frozen chunks of fruit when I'm craving sweet things. I feel healthier no doubt about that... I kicked my addiction to sugar and caffeine to the curb. Which was unpleasant.

After 2 months of living " clean " feeling unsatisfied, wanting to eat thing that i like and want... for the greater good of health and weight loss so i can stop feeling insecure about myself. I feel like a dunce. I feel like i should not have stopped eating what i wanted to begin with because my weight the last 2 years have not gone up or down.

I don't know what to do. I am very ready to just starve the weight off because it seems to be the only really actually effective manner of weight loss. I know 9k ppl are gonna jump down my throat and say no its not or " you will put the weight back " but honestly i just don't care anymore. I have been trying to lose weight for years. Nothing is wrong with me i have had my blood tested and everything else. I am healthy by my dr/nutritionists standards but overweight.

I have been walking a mile each day on top of all that. Also, yes i am getting enough calories in the day but not so many that i am not losing weight. I went from easily eating 2,500-3,500 calories a day from pop,energy drinks, chips, etc. Just eating when i want and what i want.

Anyways yes i am sure i have somewhere along the way lost some fat and replaced it with muscle but my waist/thighs/etc are no smaller and my weight is still 160 ( give or take a pound or 2 )

it is very disheartening and i really am just ready to stop trying.

ok, so you were on a really *kitten* diet, and in all of that text you didn't mention weighing food or using a food scale once

also didn't mention your calories consumed per day/week or activity level

sooo...

we need to know your stats and see an open diary

and don't starve yourself...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Does this mean that you haven't been counting your calories?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Logging is a really good place to start. Depending on what you do include in your diet, it can be really easy to go over 2500 calories without realizing it. I could create a pretty awesome 2000-calorie salad using only "clean" foods. At the very least, you'll have much better data to use to help determine what to try next. Without knowing more about your intake, any other ideas are just random guesses.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Beans and rice can have a lot of calories. You still need to weigh and log "healthy" food, because you can overeat anything. Since you haven't been logging and the scales haven't changed, you were naturally eating at your maintenance level.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have no idea how much you've been eating. You can overeat (and therefore gain weight) even if the foods you are eating are "healthy".

Weigh, measure and log everything. It'll be an eye-opener.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options

Nah, it'd be easy, especially if rice is a staple food for you. You also may not burn 2500 in a day -- and you need to eat less than you burn, not just less than what you think you used to eat. With your stats, your sedentary maintenance (including calories burned in your lifestyle, like walking, but not including extra exercise) is probably around 1800 to 1850, so maybe up to around 2000 with some exercise. So yeah, I could easily do that eating rice and fruit and beans and such. And so could you.

I'd recommend weighing and logging food, every bit, every day. Remember all the little parts -- bites to test food, oil you cook with, condiments, etc. Eat what you want -- keep the healthy changes you value and maybe work some of your favourites back in. Health isn't about perfection, it's about balance. Anyway, whatever -- just stick to a target for awhile and see how you do.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eliminating so called bad foods does nothing if you over eat on mythical good foods.

Do you use a food scale OP?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

why do you think you are not losing? You are overeating on "good" foods...whatever those are...