Burning fat using "cool" technology?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    so if I stick my head in the freezer for an hour a day, how much weight will I lose?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ha, yeah, I know. I just wanted to see if anyone has actually done it. It's amusing at least.

I might try in 5 years if it's still around. If it's a joke, it will probably be gone by then...

http://www.coolsculpting.com/

Enjoy if you haven't already.

That is actually pretty interesting. Sounds like a non-surgical alternative to liposuction.

Yep.

In this case, if it isn't a complete load of you-know-what, one actually can spot reduce. I looked it up a while ago and the clinical tests showed slight but statistically significant localized decreases in fat deposits. Not enough for me to spend money giving it a try, but enough that I don't dismiss it as being utter quackery. At least, not until there's a follow-up study that fails to reproduce the initial results.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    so if I stick my head in the freezer for an hour a day, how much weight will I lose?

That would ruin your pretty face. Stop it!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    aggie2145 wrote: »
    I use cryotherapy to aid in recovery after long runs and to manage swelling and inflammation. In the past few weeks, I have noticed that the waiting room is FILLED with women using the therapy sessions to lose weight. There must have been an article or television show that hyped weight loss because my center does not advertise any weight loss effect.
    However, I have noticed some incidental weight loss. I can easily add an extra run the day after my cryo session -a run I would have been incapable of completing otherwise. But that still requires eating right and exercising...and cryotherapy is a very expensive way to lose an extra pound a month.

isn't cryotherapy when they freeze dead people to revive them at a later date? I am thinking Sylvestor Stalone in demolition man...LOL
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

Brain freeze?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »

ok, what if I freezer burn my stomach? Will that get rid of stomach fat..?
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »

ok, what if I freezer burn my stomach? Will that get rid of stomach fat..?

I get this feeling that you don't even have stomach fat. But if you wanna get shirtless... I'll hold it for you! Pahahahahahaha
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If it works...so give it a go and let us know?

I might hang out in the whole foods beer room 30 minutes a day in the mean time.

It works, but it can cause permanent nerve damage. You can only reduce a spot about the size of a stick of butter. So if it is effective, it can leave you with divots and ridges.

You can only freeze a spot the size of a stick of butter? You mean ever, or only something that size per session, or what?
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty cool and I burn fat

+1
  • nsimon24
    nsimon24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    There is actually some science behind it, but they have a way to go before applying it for weight loss strategies. Berkeley has done a study on it in mice - http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2015/01/08/energy-burning-brown-fat-protein/ and several other studies have confirmed its potential. I suspect that there is just enough behind it to allow the snake-oil salesmen to profit, but right now it is still in research stages. Diet and exercise are still the best!
  • drewlfitness
    drewlfitness Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    nsimon24 wrote: »
    There is actually some science behind it, but they have a way to go before applying it for weight loss strategies. Berkeley has done a study on it in mice - http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2015/01/08/energy-burning-brown-fat-protein/ and several other studies have confirmed its potential. I suspect that there is just enough behind it to allow the snake-oil salesmen to profit, but right now it is still in research stages. Diet and exercise are still the best!

Agreed. I'm not looking for a way to look "fit", but still be able to eat a Digiorno a day accompanied with a quarter fifth of scotch.

But if I could burn the lower stomach fat off, without incision, I would probably do it. This area won't come off unless I get down to like 8% body fat, and even then it's still kinda there.

I'd rather the scientists of the world spend their time searching for a cure for cancer, or plan for life after the natural sources of anti-biotics run out, though.
  • aggie2145
    aggie2145 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    aggie2145 wrote: »
    I use cryotherapy to aid in recovery after long runs and to manage swelling and inflammation. In the past few weeks, I have noticed that the waiting room is FILLED with women using the therapy sessions to lose weight. There must have been an article or television show that hyped weight loss because my center does not advertise any weight loss effect.
    However, I have noticed some incidental weight loss. I can easily add an extra run the day after my cryo session -a run I would have been incapable of completing otherwise. But that still requires eating right and exercising...and cryotherapy is a very expensive way to lose an extra pound a month.

isn't cryotherapy when they freeze dead people to revive them at a later date? I am thinking Sylvestor Stalone in demolition man...LOL
    That's cryogenics, but my dad has asked me how long until I become demolition man.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    As of now, it's a sales pitch. While there are studies showing that fat can be reduced by being colder, the studies show an OVERALL body coldness and not just spot checked areas.
    How much does this cost right now? Anyone?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    As of now, it's a sales pitch. While there are studies showing that fat can be reduced by being colder, the studies show an OVERALL body coldness and not just spot checked areas.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's not what they're doing. They're using a low level laser to physically break apart fat cells. They just don't remove the cellular debris, so there's no incision. It works, but it's for sculpting the adipose layer, not really for weight loss though plenty will market it for that just like they do liposuction.

Relevant study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20393809
    A semi-recent review of additional studies: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23749426

As far as cost, here's what a quick Google search turned up:

50% off Laser Liposuction - americanlipocenters.com‎
    $850 per area; Experienced Surgeons See our great Before and Afters

Given the published results on obese patients showed centimeters of difference, I say it's a good way to throw away your money for a result no one is going to notice.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's not what they're doing. They're using a low level laser to physically break apart fat cells. They just don't remove the cellular debris, so there's no incision. It works, but it's for sculpting the adipose layer, not really for weight loss though plenty will market it for that just like they do liposuction.

Relevant study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20393809
    A semi-recent review of additional studies: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23749426

As far as cost, here's what a quick Google search turned up:

50% off Laser Liposuction - americanlipocenters.com‎
    $850 per area; Experienced Surgeons See our great Before and Afters

Given the published results on obese patients showed centimeters of difference, I say it's a good way to throw away your money for a result no one is going to notice.
    Ah. I'll look into it more. I've seen laser surgery done to help reduce fat cells, but again it was more for people who had money and were dealing with stubborn areas that didn't reduce anymore with regular diet and exercise.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    No Vanilla Ice references yet? Disappointed...
  • fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ha, yeah, I know. I just wanted to see if anyone has actually done it. It's amusing at least.

I might try in 5 years if it's still around. If it's a joke, it will probably be gone by then...

http://www.coolsculpting.com/

Enjoy if you haven't already.

That is actually pretty interesting. Sounds like a non-surgical alternative to liposuction.

My husband did this through a reputable plastic surgeon in our area. It's very popular. If I remember correctly, the office was having trouble keeping up with demand and he had to wait a few weeks to get in.

My husband has had a couple abdominal surgeries. There is a scar down the middle of his abdomen with a pocket of fat on each side. It really bothered him and he wasn't able to get rid of it through his diet and exercise habits.
    He did the cool sculpting first trying to avoid a surgical procedure. He didn't see the results he wanted and ended up going back for lipo last week. His abdomen is bruised and swollen currently, but it seems like he finally is going to end up with the results he wanted.

I'm not staking out a position on the cool sculpting procedure, but yes, someone has in fact actually done this...

ETA: He is 6' tall, 155 lbs, muscular build, strength trains approx. 5 days a week
  • fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Cost of cool sculpting was maybe $1000? I don't remember exactly.
    Lipo of same area was $2000
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Google "cold showers brown fat". You will find that studies show that cold showers are supposed to help burn brown fat.

BUT I certainly wouldn't rely on cold showers for weight loss.

Eat healthy. Exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    hmrambling wrote: »
    Google "cold showers brown fat". You will find that studies show that cold showers are supposed to help burn brown fat.

BUT I certainly wouldn't rely on cold showers for weight loss.

Eat healthy. Exercise.
    The amount burned is negligible. You'd have to be in really cold water and shivering for quite awhile to have any significant result.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png