Does anybody else get really nauseous?

Options
I have always loved working out. However it seems that whenever I push myself (nothing extreme) I get nauseous very easily. It's so discouraging. I love doing group classes! Yoga, weight lifting classes, cardio. But by mid class I would be so nauseous it would just make the class miserable for me. So miserable that it would make the remainder of the class worthless because I would do everything half-*kitten* after I got nauseous. I also make sure to have a small light snack before and hydrate throughout the day prior to my workout. But I still get nauseous.

Replies

• getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I find that I get nauseous if I eat too close to my workout.. But that's just me. It's different for everyone.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    How soon before your workout do you have your snack? Have you tried working out on an empty stomach or near empty? You could be drinking too much water before a workout as well, I know I can get that "swooshing" feeling if I dont be careful of how much I drink.

Is it nerves/anxiety?

Could it be an allergy to a perfume, body oder, deoderant around you?
  • nancypnurse
    nancypnurse Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wondering if you have vertigo?-- dizziness, nausea. Sometimes it is caused by an inner ear problem, sometimes a problem with blood flow, and sometimes they aren't sure why. Or have you ever been told that you have hypoglycemia? I would take this question to my doctor... it may have an easy cure.... Best of luck, and let us know if you find an answer....
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Could be dehydration. I was having this problem with my boxing classes but once my conditioning improved I stopped getting this feeling most of the time. I went about 6 months where I would feel sick during the workout and that was the only thing other than low blood sugar I could find as a cause. Try drinking more water and eating a light snack the day of the work out. I had to work through the nausea for it to stop. Sometimes when the trainer makes the class a more difficult one I still get nausea but most of the time I don't now.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    No, but i get light headed if i know if I am going to have a large dinner, and need to save up calories. I just try to spread my calories out more.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Check your water in/out and sodium balance. From what you describe it sounds more inner ear than GI which is highly influenced by hydration/salt. Certainly does not sound serious, but a consult with a physician may help you figure out what's causing the persistent nausea.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Check your water in/out and sodium balance. From what you describe it sounds more inner ear than GI which is highly influenced by hydration/salt. Certainly does not sound serious, but a consult with a physician may help you figure out what's causing the persistent nausea.

I agree, this is doctor-worthy, not only because it's causing such misery but also because it could be something in your noggin instead of your stomach. It's happened to me a couple of times in years of working out, both times from being late for dinner, but that doesn't sound like what's going on with you. I would be woozy as well as nauseated, it sounds like you just feel sick? Does it happen if you take it really easy? Maybe something sinus-y brought on by mouth breathing?
  • nicolethel
    nicolethel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Could be dehydration. I was having this problem with my boxing classes but once my conditioning improved I stopped getting this feeling most of the time. I went about 6 months where I would feel sick during the workout and that was the only thing other than low blood sugar I could find as a cause. Try drinking more water and eating a light snack the day of the work out. I had to work through the nausea for it to stop. Sometimes when the trainer makes the class a more difficult one I still get nausea but most of the time I don't now.

Thanks so much for replying!!! I'm thinking that either I have a dehydration problem and am not getting enough water the day before and day of. I'm also wondering if I might have a vertigo problem as well? My Mom has always had nausea issues and inner ear related problems. The funny thing is that I am totally fine on a boat, but in a car, if I lose sight of the road for one minute I get nauseas.
  • nicolethel
    Options
    I am really
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »

I agree, this is doctor-worthy, not only because it's causing such misery but also because it could be something in your noggin instead of your stomach. It's happened to me a couple of times in years of working out, both times from being late for dinner, but that doesn't sound like what's going on with you. I would be woozy as well as nauseated, it sounds like you just feel sick? Does it happen if you take it really easy? Maybe something sinus-y brought on by mouth breathing?

I am really careful about breathing right, taking it slow and not overdoing it. I'm going to try hydrating more and getting my ears checked out. It's a number when I am not tired from the workout, but I have to stop because I am so nauseas.
  • nicolethel
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    How soon before your workout do you have your snack? Have you tried working out on an empty stomach or near empty? You could be drinking too much water before a workout as well, I know I can get that "swooshing" feeling if I dont be careful of how much I drink.

Is it nerves/anxiety?

Could it be an allergy to a perfume, body oder, deoderant around you?

I will usually have a banana about an hour to a half hour before my workout. I will usually not drink too much before because I also get the "swooshing" feeling in my stomach. Not nerves or anxiety... I don't think? I am usually pretty calm.