fast food????

Options
etray2002
etray2002 Posts: 15 Member
I was wondering if anyone has found any healthy fast food. Every once in a while I don't have time to make a meal so I go to taco bell and eat a chicken cantina bowl or get a bowl at pollo loco, what do you guys think

Replies

• inked_Calimom82
    inked_Calimom82 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The closest thing to "healthy fast food" is subway lol and maybe Chipotle, depending on what u get but that's a huge maybe. I stay clear of all fast food unless I'm really into a pinch I'll have a subway sandwich or burrito bowl from Chipotle and save half of it for later.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Whatever fits in your calories for the day.
  • MsJoisey
    MsJoisey Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'll stop at Panera Bread occasionally. Their black bean soup is low fat and I'll usually get a half salad as well, then opt for an apple rather than bread.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Chipotle
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options

^This.

But if you're looking for something light or veggie-like, then there's always salad bars (NB: I don't do big bowls of salad so I have no recommendations, but hey, they're out there and they're fast). In the UK there are places like Tossed and Chop'd, I imagine there are equivalents in most places. Personally I often go for something like a naked burrito/burrito bowl, mainly because I'm GF so I don't have the option of the tortilla :D but they're relatively low on calories (mine is around 500-600cals) and a mix of ingredients (veg, rice, meat) plus they're filling.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    As long as you can find something that fits your calories and your macros you should be good to go. Most fast food places have an online nutritional menu that you can use to preplan before you go.
  • d1664256
    d1664256 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As long as you avoid breads, potatoes, and soda, you're getting the best that fast food can offer. I like Chipotle.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I'll say this....it is easy to put away a ton of calories in one visit.

Taco Bell has chicken tacos...McDonalds has wraps, Arbys has Jr Roast beef.....Wendy's chili and or wraps....all are moderate in terms of calorie content and won't sink your day.

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

This. I ate fast food several times a week while I was in active weight loss and I continue to eat fast food on a regular basis now that I'm successfully maintaining. Calories and math :)
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I was just eyeing a new (to me) sandwich on McDonald's website. Artisan chicken something or other. 360 calories and only 6 grams of fat.

I just try to make the best possible choices that I can. I have to research before I go. I can't guess. I got really screwed at Jack in the Box a few months ago.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If that is part of an overall balanced diet and you are maintaining your calorie goal, then it sounds healthy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Chain restaurants generally have nutrition information online, which is convenient. Check it out.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Define healthy: Are you looking for low cal fast food, or are you looking for fast food with minimal processing/antibiotic free/etc?

For low cal, you can find something at almost any fast food place.

For (clean? I guess) fast food, there's places like chipotle and panera that seem to cater to those audiences.

Panera does some great salads that fit both definitions ..

I like fast food breakfast. Egg Mc Muffin, Dunkin wake up wraps and flatbreads ... I'd call those healthy.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    There isn't really "healthy" fast food but you can save yourself a lot of calories by going grilled instead of fried, limiting sauces, and opting for a side salad instead of fries.

Honestly though, eat fast food in moderation and just get what you want. My favorite fast food meal is from Chick Fil A - fried chicken sandwich, waffle fries, diet coke for a whopping 840 calories. But when I eat it, I plan ahead and eat very healthfully the rest of the day so it fits.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    For Taco Bell, I like the cantina bowl or a couple of fresco soft shelled chicken tacos.

But I agree with the others saying that as long as you can fit it into you calorie goal and macro goal, it's all good (assuming your doctor hasn't explicitly told you to reduce/limit sodium intake). There are no "bad" or "good" foods. Context is important, so you have to look at the overall regimen.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options

This. I ate fast food several times a week while I was in active weight loss and I continue to eat fast food on a regular basis now that I'm successfully maintaining. Calories and math :)

AND you have abs! You are awesome!

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »

AND you have abs! You are awesome!

I took my profile picture as I was wrapping up a 6 week push-ups challenge- I figured I'd get some definition in my shoulders/back, which I did, but I was not expecting the ab thing- a very nice surprise :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,440 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    d1664256 wrote: »
    As long as you avoid breads, potatoes, and soda, you're getting the best that fast food can offer. I like Chipotle.

What? There is nothing wrong with bread, potatoes, or soda as long as it fits within your calorie goals.
  • Maguigi
    Maguigi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like the spicy tostadas at Taco Bell. Beans, lettuce, tomato, cheese, spicy sauce on a crunchy flat shell. Filling and only $1. They are low in calories and fat comparitively speaking. Subway is good if you are watching fat but sodium levels are quite high, unless the stick with just veggies. Might as well eat salad. I have high BP and sodium makes fast food difficult.