Insecurities

Options
fketteland
fketteland Posts: 19 Member
I've been using MFP for almost 2 months and I work out 3-5 days a week and I'm starting to feel great but is it normal to feel more insecure about yourself now that your losing weight and inches

Replies

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be brutally honest though this will likely sound really shallow: I now get a bit more attention from men (not lumping all men together! I promise!) than I'm accustomed to. It has made me a bit self-conscious.
  • fketteland
    Options
    GingerSka wrote: »
    I'm going to be brutally honest though this will likely sound really shallow: I now get a bit more attention from men (not lumping all men together! I promise!) than I'm accustomed to. It has made me a bit self-conscious.

I'm more harder on myself than before. Im so insecure about how I look and how clothes fit...
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    It can be like losing a security blanket. While I always HATED my body at my highest, it gave me a reason to be anti social in certain situations. Once you lose, there's no more excuses for LIVING!
    I also get squishy when I start losing weight, instead of the fat being tight. So I start to feel the skin/fat sway more. All I can say is TGFS. Thank God For Spanx!
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Ah, I see where you're coming from. I wouldn't say I have those feelings exactly but losing weight is a weird mind-game. Dealing with counting calories, getting used to a changing body, and potential negativity from peers are hard waters to navigate.
  • deannasimon2
    deannasimon2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I lost 120 lbs over the course of 10 months. There were a lot of weird comments from people that made me feel very insecure. The constant attention was not welcomed. I remember telling my husband (we did this together) "I am so glad we are doing this, I just wish it was more private." Now that I have maintained for close to a year, it is better, but it is still a complete mind game sometimes. Yes, I am more confident and certainly healthier, but I still have feelings of doubt and low self-esteem. I think it takes the mind a while to catch up with the body. And while losing weight is extremely hard, the mental part of it is difficult too.
  • abigail659
    abigail659 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yes. I wish someone would have told me this when I first started my journey. Unfortunately, I thought that getting close to my goal weight that I would look like the photoshopped models on TV and in the magazines. Unfortunately, with 20+ pounds lost, I didn't look like that and it's a hard pill to swallow when you have those high expectations. I'm still working on it and by no means have it figured out...but you have to look at the progress you've made and not so much as what we think we "Should" look like. I think it's a good idea to work out your whole body which includes your mind and spirit, I've been diving into my religion and reading devotionals. I do wish you the best!
  • ag08800
    ag08800 Posts: 16 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    It can be like losing a security blanket. While I always HATED my body at my highest, it gave me a reason to be anti social in certain situations. Once you lose, there's no more excuses for LIVING!
    I also get squishy when I start losing weight, instead of the fat being tight. So I start to feel the skin/fat sway more. All I can say is TGFS. Thank God For Spanx!

I'm anti-social for that reason due to being uncomfortable with my weight, but I realized bars/clubs are created for shallow people. I wanted to wear more revealing clothes after I achieve my ideal body weight, but after time, I realized it's not that important, and I would rather have someone like me for me rather than my 'body,' screw the shallow jerks/ladies, but of course be healthy!

• ag08800
    ag08800 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    fketteland wrote: »
    I've been using MFP for almost 2 months and I work out 3-5 days a week and I'm starting to feel great but is it normal to feel more insecure about yourself now that your losing weight and inches

I think it's normal, I think that's why people obsess over weight loss, exercising, etc. due to the stigma on health and beauty. I can admit, I've been very unhealthy about my weight due to certain toxic people, but I think it's best just to learn to love yourself no matter what circumstances.

I'm still battling with body issues and self-esteem it all started with dating someone who dated thinner women, but overtime, I realized he's still around and paying for my meals, who cares if I'm a little thick, I can embrace it for now on! ;)
  • fketteland
    Options
    I guess some days are better than others but when I wasn't trying to be healthy I was so much more confident
  • wvclaylady
    wvclaylady Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think it is probably very normal to have this sort of back and forth while on this journey. I am just getting started (for about the 50th time LOL), but I know even when not dieting, I have these ups and downs. I am 46, and have been heavy all my life. And I always felt like people were thinking bad things about me, and that they put me down. But you know what I realized a few years ago? The ONLY person who ever put me down... was ME. Something that has helped me not be so hard on myself, was my recent discovery of something called the Law of Attraction. If you've never heard of it, I suggest you find a copy (I believe currently available on Netflix) of The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. In a nutshell, it teaches us about the power of positive thinking. And it's really made a big difference in my life! Maybe it could help you with those harsh feelings too. :-) The best of luck to you!