Nutrisystem and MFP

Options
So, I recently bought the 5 day box of Nutrisystem and have been using it in conjunction with my MFP goal. Sticking to the program and adding in veggies, fruit and some protein, I hit maybe 1000 calories. My MFP goal is 2800 (full closure: I have a good amount to lose so my number is higher). So I've started using Nutrisystem for breakfast and add to it, then use one of the meals for lunch. For dinner, I usually make my own food. I figure it's better that I get as close to my MFP goal as possible. Is this right?

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    if Nutrisystem makes it easier for you to hit your MFP calorie goal then go for it
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of any of those diets.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Costs WAY too much for me. I'd rather save up to spend the money on a whole new wardrobe when I hit my goal weight!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan either. I believe you can make foods at home that will be better and you'll still lose weight as long as your at a deficit. All you need is a food scale and weigh everything you consume. Then log it here accurately to be sure that your actually eating at a deficit. So spending money on pre packaged food plans is not necessary. But if this is what you really want to do, then go for it. I just think that choosing your own foods and learning portion control is a great tool for long term success.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I'm not a fan either. I believe you can make foods at home that will be better and you'll still lose weight as long as your at a deficit. All you need is a food scale and weigh everything you consume. Then log it here accurately to be sure that your actually eating at a deficit. So spending money on pre packaged food plans is not necessary. But if this is what you really want to do, then go for it. I just think that choosing your own foods and learning portion control is a great tool for long term success.

^^^This!
  • lologyrl
    lologyrl Posts: 183 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Well, didn't really want everyone's personal opinion on if they liked it or not. I was simply asking would it be better to stick to the Nutrisystem 1200 goal or my goal on here. I'll figure it out. Thanks anyway I guess...
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I successfully started my weight loss on Nutrisystem. It was helpful for me to learn portion control on a program that was measuring and preparing the portions for me and helping me learn to eat a balanced diet. Eventually I learned to do that on my own but it was a good way to start.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    lologyrl wrote: »
    Well, didn't really want everyone's personal opinion on if they liked it or not. I was simply asking would it be better to stick to the Nutrisystem 1200 goal or my goal on here. I'll figure it out. Thanks anyway I guess...

You're right. You can use Nutrisystem in conjunction with MFP to get to your 2800 goal, which is what your original post was asking. I think everyone thought you were making a choice between the two. However, by your answer above, you're asking which choice you should make, and not referring to combining the two. I'm confused :neutral:
  • Docbanana2002
    edited May 2015
    Options

If MFP is telling you to eat that much and still lose weight, then you weigh an amount that would make the Nutrisystem 1200 plan inappropriate for you. Nutrisystem also has a 1500 and 1800 plan for women, you should do one of those instead. The specific plan NS puts you on depends on your weight, gender, age, and activity level. The NS website should have info about which to choose.
  • lologyrl
    Options

If MFP is telling you to eat that much and still lose weight, then you weigh an amount that would make the Nutrisystem 1200 plan inappropriate for you. Nutrisystem also has a 1500 and 1800 plan for women, you should do one of those instead. The NS website should have info about all of that.

All I needed. Thank you. I'll check that out.
  • Docbanana2002
    edited May 2015
    Options

You're right. You can use Nutrisystem in conjunction with MFP to get to your 2800 goal, which is what your original post was asking. I think everyone thought you were making a choice between the two. However, by your answer above, you're asking which choice you should make, and not referring to combining the two. I'm confused :neutral:

Sounded like she wanted to follow the NS 1200 plan but log it here, plus add a bunch of extra food to meet her MFP goal. So a hybrid of the two. If you are going to be adding all that extra food then I think why bother? The reason to do NS is that they take all the logging and decision making and cooking out of the process...that what you pay for! You pay for the convenience of having the whole plan delivered to your door and you just check off everything as you eat it. (Plus add some things from the store that they give you from a list, with portion sizes specified).There's nothing magic about the food itself, it is just low calorie food. I recommend that if you are going to do NS then choose the correct plan for you which will probably be the 1800 cal meal plan, then just follow that to the letter until you feel ready to go out on your own and start making decisions about "eating in the wild" so to speak. If you are already ready for that then why pay for a diet plan you aren't going to follow the way it is written?
  • lologyrl
    Options

Sounded like she wanted to follow the NS 1200 plan but log it here, plus add a bunch of extra food to meet her MFP goal. So a hybrid of the two. If you are going to be adding all that extra food then I think why bother? The reason to do NS is that they take all the logging and decision making and cooking out of the process...that what you pay for! You pay for the convenience of having the whole plan delivered to your door and you just check off everything as you eat it. (Plus add some things from the store that they give you from a list, with portion sizes specified).There's nothing magic about the food itself, it is just low calorie food. I recommend that if you are going to do NS then choose the correct plan for you which will probably be the 1800 cal meal plan, then just follow that to the letter until you feel ready to go out on your own and start making decisions about "eating in the wild" so to speak. If you are already ready for that then why pay for a diet plan you aren't going to follow the way it is written?

I got the $40 box from Walmart for the convenience at work and to see if I liked it.
  • dldense
    dldense Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    lologyrl...there's a couple of groups on here specifically for Nutrisystem people. After reading a few posts in this board and others I'd say it's probably a good idea to stick with one of those boards for info on Nutrisystem. I've been on Nutrisystem since February 11th and am doing very well. The box you got from Walmart is VERY generic though. You should be able to set up an account online without having to purchase the full program. I think that years ago Nutrisystem was very different than what it is now. Now you have a lot of tools, including access to counselors that help you learn HOW to eat correctly while you are staying encouraged by losing weight with the pre-packaged meals. Yes it IS cheaper if you eat anything like I used to. I crunched the numbers and we are saving around $800 a month by me being on Nutrisystem. I've learned what portion control really is and yes...I do have a scale for measuring correct portion sizes when I make regular food. The prepackaged meals help me because I am able to take things with me...plus I don't feel like I'm being deprived by not being able to eat things like pizza and chocolate. I log my food on MFP but it's because I love the reporting they have that helps me watch the sodium content in my food. If you decide you like the food and want to continue with the full program, let me know. I will send you buddy bucks so you can get a discount off of your first order.
  • surrealchereal
    surrealchereal Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    They closed the online forums on the NS site. There is a good FB group though. You should find them with a search.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I think you should eat more than 1200 but not as high as 2800. Did MFP have you at 2800 calories with the calorie deficit? How many pounds per week are you looking to lose? I don't know but it sounds high. My friend who is on here weighs over 300 and he wants to lose 2 pounds per week. MFP has him at 2050 calories. MFP have me at 1660 to lose 1pounds per week.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    They closed the online forums on the NS site. There is a good FB group though. You should find them with a search.

Curious, I wonder why?

I think you should eat more than 1200 but not as high as 2800. Did MFP have you at 2800 calories with the calorie deficit? How many pounds per week are you looking to lose? I don't know but it sounds high. My friend who is on here weighs over 300 and he wants to lose 2 pounds per week. MFP has him at 2050 calories.

So OP wants to lose less quickly, that's ok.

Yes you can combine NutriSystem and MFP.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Yes that's fine to lose less quickly. But I didn't think that was the case since she was starting NS. I thought NS was a quick diet thing. I don't know. I was just trying to help.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Yes that's fine to lose less quickly. But I didn't think that was the case since she was starting NS. I thought NS was a quick diet thing. I don't know. I was just trying to help.

Ah sorry for being brusque - of course you were!
  • BeesmaMFP
    BeesmaMFP Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm on NS and really like the program. I agree with the PP who said it sounds like the 1200 plan is not appropriate for you. If you want to connect with other NS members, send me a message and I'll fill you in on the groups that are here on MFP. I personally don't use their FB page--don't need the world to know about my weight loss. NS isn't just low-calorie food, they also take into consideration the glycemic index. When I follow the program (I'm on the 1500 plan because I'm 6'1") to a tee, I consume within the range of 1450 to 1700 calories, which is the range for the 1500 plan (it's not a set amount of calories, it's actually a range) and fits with what MFP says I should be eating to lose weight. Personally, I don't see the point of purchasing NS food if you're going to add so much to it that you hit 2800 calories a day. I would either follow the NS plan or follow MFP's recommendations since it sounds like there's a wide discrepancy between the two for you. That said, if you decide to continue with NS, you should find out which plan you should be on. Also, if you want to continue on NS and purchase from them, PM me and I'll send you a $30 coupon for your first order.

There are a lot of NSers on MFP since they closed the NS message boards, so if that's the plan you want to do, we can get you hooked up with folks who can help you. If not, as you can see there's lots of advice from non-NS folks here. :)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    BeesmaMFP wrote: »
    . Personally, I don't see the point of purchasing NS food if you're going to add so much to it that you hit 2800 calories a day. I would either follow the NS plan or follow MFP's recommendations since it sounds like there's a wide discrepancy between the two for you.

Why would you say that? She's only adding up the calories to meet her goal. It's fine. OP's point is it makes things easier for her during working hours, which is totally valid and her business anyway.