"healthy" grains?

Options
LisaRoloff
LisaRoloff Posts: 43 Member
I am looking for a variety of grains I can cook as a side dish to go with meals that are a bit different. While I am watching what I eat, I am also trying to cook for daddy and I still need to get enough carbs into him. I have millet and quoina, I have seen ameranth (sp?) but don't have a clue how to cook it. Can anyone make some suggestions that might be good side dish type of grains. I'm looking to add a bit of variety. :)

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Brown rice
    Whole wheat bread
    Oatmeal
    Barley
    Rye
    Buckwheat
    Whole wheat couscous
    Quinoa
    Millet
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    POLENTA
  • LisaRoloff
    LisaRoloff Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    anyone cook with Teff or Kamut? I just found those and am wondering. DrWeil.com give info and them and it sounds good, but I havent tried them and was wondering if anyone likes them. I am thinking I would sort of cook them like a pilaf or rice or something. Need to work on more variety. I like a wide range or stuff, but need to work on daddy's diet too.
  • green_owl
    green_owl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I like Freekeh, Quinoa, Buckwheat and brown rice as side dishes. Follow cooking instructions on packet. When ready mix in some herbs and veggies. Barley is nice in soups and stews.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    IMO, rice is the best grain. For getting enough carbs in general, the best would be potatoes.
    IMO x2.