Stretching ... Do it!

Options
yhealthy2000
yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I have to admit, I love stretching my body...everyday!! I workout, have a regular sort of days. And, stretching is becoming into something I long to do everyday! I try listening to my body! And, my body says to stretch at least once a day. I have noticed that I have a better day coping with stress and whatever comes my way. If you have not stretched lately, do it! Your body will love you for it! And your mind will too!!

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    It can feel good but there have been no studies that show any benefit (whether performance-related, or injury-prevention-related) to doing it. There have been some indications that stretching before a training session can INCREASE risk of injury
  • yhealthy2000
    Options
    Stretching simply feels great!! I guarantee you, your body will appreciate a good stretch.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I think you missed my point...
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Having had two spinal fusion surgeries I can not stress enough the benefits of stretching. I will never be able to do certain yoga moves due to the titanium rods in my back but the strength and management of my pain from stretching has changed my life. I remember laying in bed and the slightest stretch would cause me considerable pain. That was until I started listening to my body and moving it in ways that have helped heal me. Does that make sense? Last year I could not tie my shoes and now I can place my palms on the floor. If I do not stretch I feel like I am in knots all day.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    It can feel good but there have been no studies that show any benefit (whether performance-related, or injury-prevention-related) to doing it. There have been some indications that stretching before a training session can INCREASE risk of injury

You're not serious are you? Take another look through PubMed or Google Scholar. Make sure when you read these "studies' that you're not just reading the abstract and you're digging into the population of who's being studied and what the actual test consists of. Just because a study is publish doesn't mean it's good or relevant to the topic at-hand.

Neglecting to stretching overly tight muscles can lead to a situation called "Altered Reciprocal Inhibition" which more or less states that your muscles aren't moving correctly. The relationship between your agonist and antagonist muscles is essentially "altered" due to tightness in the antagonist. What does this mean for you, it means this can lead to injury; not just in your exercise but also in just moving in every day life situations. Ever know somebody that tore a bicep muscle by extending their arm out (triceps function) to grab something that wasn't even heavy? A lot of lower back and hip pain is caused by tightness in the piriformis and can be improved by stretching; I believe it's actually called "Piriformis Syndrome."

Here's the thing, static stretching pre-workout for a long time (approximately 1-min) can lead to muscular inhibition, so keep the static stretching to 30-sec's. Pre-workout only use static stretching on very tight muscles. If you're just tight and need to loosen up then something like active isolation stretching or dynamic stretching can be used. Active-isolation stretching is essentially moving the muscle into the stretched postion, holding it for 2-sec's, releasing it, and then doing it again for 10-rep's. Dynamic is moving through a full range of motion. Using something like "Mountain Climbers" would be a good example. Pre / Post workout you can do self-myofacial release (foam rolling / lacrosse ball) on tight muscles by putting the device on the trigger point for 30-sec's or longer.

If you feel you need to stretch, then do it but make sure that it's done in a manner that isn't going to cause injury. Sorry, I'll end my rant now but mobility work is very important.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options

It's generally not a good idea to stretch cold muscles, so this I agree with. However, I'm a huge fan of stretching and I do it every night.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I almost fell off the bench I was sitting on when my personal trainer called me 'flexible'. I used to be able to bend at the waist and touch my knees(!) and that was as far as she went. As I started attempting to learn running, I started stretching. And that was only three times a week, after I ran! Now, I can tie my shoes without bending my knees. I never realized just how good stretching would make me feel, and not just the stretching itself. Totally, wholeheartedly agree!
  • yhealthy2000
    Options
    Stretching is important! Our bodies work better when flexible. Thank you to all you guys for sharing great information and personal experiences. Sam_I_Am77, your knowledge will help a lot of us! You were not ranting:)! I loved what you wrote. BZAH10, Angelfire365 & PinkyPan1, thank you. I know that more people need flexing than not!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of stretching questions:

For those of us with office jobs, is it actually beneficial to be stretching the legs throughout the day, as we are sitting most of the day? If so, how often? I have a knee issue ( patellofemoral ) and I am trying to get it better so I can return to more physical activity, so I was wondering if I should do more stretches while I'm at work, to help counter the effects of sitting, especially since I have a knee problem. And do I need to warm up somehow first?
    I do have a physio appt tomorrow so will ask then but would appreciate other feedback too.

2nd question, can you stretch too much? what is too much? 30sec change leg and repeat 3 x? is that ok to do daily?

Sorry for these questions, I will write them down and ask my physio tomorrow too.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25932984

The purpose of the present study was to clarify the acute effect of dynamic stretching (DS) on relative high-intensity endurance running performance. The endurance running performances of seven well-trained middle or long distance male runners were assessed on a treadmill following two types of pretreatment. The pretreatments were non-stretching (NS) and DS treatment. In the DS treatment, DS was performed as one set of 10 repetitions as quickly as possible for the five muscle groups in lower extremities. The endurance running performances were evaluated by time to exhaustion (TTE) and total running distance (TRD) during running at a velocity equivalent to 90% maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max) in each subject. The oxygen uptake (VO2) during running was measured as an index of running economy (RE). The TTE (928.6 ± 215.0 seconds) following DS treatment was significantly (p<0.01) prolonged compared with that (785.3 ± 206.2 seconds) following NS. The TRD (4301.2 ± 893.8 meters) following DS treatment was also significantly (p<0.01) longer than that (3616.9 ± 783.3 meters) following NS. The changes in the VO2 during running, however, did not significantly (p>0.05) differ between the pretreatments. The results demonstrated that the DS treatment improved the endurance performance of running at a velocity equivalent to 90% VO2max in well-trained male runners, although it did not change the RE. This running velocity is equivalent to that for a 3000 or 5000 meter race. Our finding suggests that performing DS during warm-up before a race is effective for improving performance.
  • cw201112
    cw201112 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I walk and do yoga classes 3-4 times a week. Love my yoga/stretching time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Stretching is actually an exercise. Does one NEED to stretch? Not if they don't care to increase their flexibility. Does stretching help to prevent injury? Well, no and yes. Tight muscles can impede ROM and if extended beyond it's flexibility, an injury can occur. However even the most flexible people (gymnasts) get injured without overextending ROM.
    You probably should apply stretching exercises to WHATEVER sport, hobby, endeavor, etc. you do physically because it may enhance it. Not stretching doesn't mean you cannot still be elite in your choosing either.

My stance is, if you like to stretch, then do it. If you don't, then don't. The main difference of the two will just come down to flexibility range and that's really more a matter of preference than performance or preventing injury.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    If I don't stretch and do mobility exercises, my ability to do some exercises is diminished. So yes, I stretch frequently.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25932984

The purpose of the present study was to clarify the acute effect of dynamic stretching (DS) on relative high-intensity endurance running performance. The endurance running performances of seven well-trained middle or long distance male runners were assessed on a treadmill following two types of pretreatment. The pretreatments were non-stretching (NS) and DS treatment. In the DS treatment, DS was performed as one set of 10 repetitions as quickly as possible for the five muscle groups in lower extremities. The endurance running performances were evaluated by time to exhaustion (TTE) and total running distance (TRD) during running at a velocity equivalent to 90% maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max) in each subject. The oxygen uptake (VO2) during running was measured as an index of running economy (RE). The TTE (928.6 ± 215.0 seconds) following DS treatment was significantly (p<0.01) prolonged compared with that (785.3 ± 206.2 seconds) following NS. The TRD (4301.2 ± 893.8 meters) following DS treatment was also significantly (p<0.01) longer than that (3616.9 ± 783.3 meters) following NS. The changes in the VO2 during running, however, did not significantly (p>0.05) differ between the pretreatments. The results demonstrated that the DS treatment improved the endurance performance of running at a velocity equivalent to 90% VO2max in well-trained male runners, although it did not change the RE. This running velocity is equivalent to that for a 3000 or 5000 meter race. Our finding suggests that performing DS during warm-up before a race is effective for improving performance.

This looks like a good study but please remember to keep in this in-context. The study is specific to "well-trained" middle or long distance male runners". What I mean by this is that these are higher level athletes that may not need a ton of mobility work. As one assesses their own mobility they need to be cognizant of their own mobility or lack there of and use the appropriate stretching modality because it is very very individualized. What I do for mobility is not what I would prescribe for my wife and is not something I would prescribe for a client without assessing their own movement. If dynamic-stretching is the only thing one needs for mobility work, then great do it and don't waste time with other stuff; but it's not going to be the same for everybody.

Just to reiterate, if your body does not move properly then you will not exercise or play a sport properly and there are injury risks associated. Ever know somebody that tore a bicep by reaching and picking up a gallon of milk or something similar? One semester I had to study injury prevention at nauseum and there is a lot of information out there that strongly suggests non-contact ankle and knee injuries are related to poor mobility. There are other factors of course but mobility is definitely one of the factors.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Since a lot of scientific studies are done on rats or monkeys, I am okay with this study being done on "well-trained" male runners. I believe in stretching and do a type of dynamic stretching. Not even close to being that fit, but working toward that goal. Stretching helps me feel not as stiff when I get out of bed, and helps with decreasing that DOMS after lifting weights. Usually try to do the stretching before other exercise to "warm up" muscles. I know that exercise physiology, like all sciences, is ever changing on its philosophy and do believe that 15 or 20 years ago, stretching was recommended after exercise. And I know there was a period where it was believed that it did nothing at all.
  • yhealthy2000
    Options
    I workout regularly. I do RPM and weight lifting. After my workouts, I do a short cool down involving stretching movements. Then the next day I stretch on my own...it really helps me feel energized and ready for my long walks! Stretching feels great!! Thanks all for your input!!!
  • alekth
    alekth Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There was recently a good online course at EDx (The Body Matters) that also touched on stretching based on a fair amount of studies. The gist of it was that while warming up and cooling down were definitely things to do before/after exercise, stretching at those times didn't really contribute to performance or general well-being. However, what was really way more effective both for performance and reducing risk of injury, was actually doing stretching regularly as its own thing to improve mobility and flexibility over time.
  • yhealthy2000
    Options
    That is exactly what I do. Alekth...you are right on the dot!!! I do it for flexibility and mobility & not really for burning calories. Stretching makes my tight muscles from workout flexible. Thanks alekth.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    Since a lot of scientific studies are done on rats or monkeys, I am okay with this study being done on "well-trained" male runners. I believe in stretching and do a type of dynamic stretching.

That's really good and my comments were not to dissuade stretching by any means, but really just two other points. One, there is no one-size fits all for stretching; it is a very individualized thing. If dynamic stretching works for you, then awesome. Two, the words "research" and "studies" are too freely thrown around on this site and people often take them out-of-context, so it's just important to remember the context in-which a study was conducted. Cheers!
  • yhealthy2000
    Options
    I agree with Sam_I_am77, stretching is not one-size fits all! How deeply a person can stretch is highly individualized. And, the more regularly we stretch, the more flexible we will be and the more deeply we can stretch. Aaah! Just writing those words make me feel relaxed:). This morning my muscles were tight from yesterday's workout, and I was feeling a bit tired too. I rested a bit on the couch but then thought that's not doing much for me. So I got up & stretched. Wow!! I felt as if I broke metal chains from around my body and felt energized !! Following my stretching, I had a great day!