Walking as exercise !!

Options
2»

Replies

• Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Is there anyone who doesnt exercise apart from lots of walking?

For the first 90 days or so, walking at a normal pace is all I did, and I went from 308 lbs. to 236 lbs. An even bigger part of my success, though, is that I was on a ketogenic diet that, among other things, suppressed my appetite so that I could consume no more than 2,000 calories a day without being hungry. I'm a 6'0," 47-year-old male, to put this into perspective.

I can tell you, however, that your body composition will be much, much better, if you combine your walking with a basic powerlifting routine: deadlifts, squats, and bench press. This applies regardless of gender or age. Guaranteed.
  • ilonam777
    ilonam777 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Its a great way to stay fit and healthy. Only thing you need is pair of confy lightweight walking shoes and good mysic in mp3 player. I love walking, sumetimes I walk 7 miles a day durimg my days off instead of using public transport.
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I recently "discovered" Leslie Sansone Walk At Home DVDs and absolutely love them! I have been doing them 6 weeks and really notice a difference in how my jeans fit. Love walking, with Chicago winter looming ahead I am going to get a few more of her DVDs so I have a variety and do not get bored. I am cancelling my Jazzercise membership, Leslie's DVDs have done more for me than Jazzercise in getting in shape.
  • revpeg
    revpeg Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I mostly just walk for exercise. I get up early and go for a woodsy walk. I started with a 20 minute walk and now walk about 45 minutes. I love it. I added some swimming to help unfreeze a frozen shoulder and am keeping up with that through the winter. I am now considering adding some weight training. But walking helped me lose over 30 pounds and I really like it, so I'll keep doing it. Also, a friend gave me the book 'The First Twenty Minutes' by a New York Times' health and wellness writer which takes a close look at a lot of exercise and diet studies, and actually debunks a lot of what we accept as good science... BUT, she found that women who lost weight kept it off when they walked before breakfast most days. So, I'm trying to form some good habits for when I reach the weight I want to maintain.
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I walk and do Squats that is about it :)
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I walk mostly - I try for 10,000 steps a day, thats an hour walk outside together with shopping at stores, walking around the house cleaning up, etc.

I'm not ready for running - my trainer does not advise it and I think its too much stress on knees and ankles when you are very obese.

I'm trying to do more weights, but I find it hard to fit into my very filled schedule,when I walk I can listen to audio books, so I'm more motivated. Weights are important, noot for weight loss, but for toning and inner strength. I also think it may prevent the dreaded skin folds.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Walking is what kick-started most of my weight loss. During the summer I was doing 4 miles 3-5 times a week, in addition to some Zumba. Walking/Running/Jogging.. best feeling ever.

same here for me.

Same here and after many months of walking every day I got faster and faster and my legs just wanted to run. I couldn't stop it. From there I just started getting more and more into running and now cycling and mountain biking and I love all of it.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Walking is what kick-started most of my weight loss. During the summer I was doing 4 miles 3-5 times a week, in addition to some Zumba. Walking/Running/Jogging.. best feeling ever.

same here for me.

Same here and after many months of walking every day I got faster and faster and my legs just wanted to run. I couldn't stop it. From there I just started getting more and more into running and now cycling and mountain biking and I love all of it.

That's awesome!! I found the more walking I did, the more active I was getting in other activities as well! I started Zumba, and then circuit training, running more often, going faster. WAS AWESOME! Can't wait for summer again! Right now it's indoor treadmill and zumba. Running outside is SO much nicer! I owe a lot to just walking! Next year I will now be doing a mudrun, and TRYING out crossfit!
  • superdeedooper
    superdeedooper Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I've re-joined MFP after a long break with no motivation. I'm hoping to stay on track. Just dropping in to follow some "walking" people. :-)
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    me!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have used walking as my form of exercise for many years. It's free, easy and can be done almost anywhere! I have recently added strength training to my fitness routine. I do this at home with a set of hand weights of varying weight.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    My friend does MMA and his favorite form of exercise is walking. I'd do it too, but I need to burn more calories and I'm limited for time, so I run/jog. Do what works for you, though, and good luck! :smile:
  • Jenskiski
    Jenskiski Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Walking 5 miles a day is my main exercise. Truth be told, it clears my head, makes me feel better, and is cheap! I'll occasionally do yoga or dance, but not too often.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I walk anywhere from 6 - 10 mils in a day (not in one shot).
  • Otterlover81
    Otterlover81 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yay, people who love walking as much as I do! I walk a minimum of 5kms most days and absolutely love it! I try to make time for some body weight exercises also during my walks.
  • Forgetabull
    Forgetabull Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    4-5km a day w/ puppy.