Muscle shaming is the new fat shaming

Options
blueyellowhorse
blueyellowhorse Posts: 708 Member
These days there is a lot of muscle shaming going on. We see it on here, all over other internet sites, and in real life. Go on any female fitness model's Facebook and Instagram and read the comments. They are absolutely disgusting and it will make you sick. Men and women of all variations bash them.

I'm talking about women especially but I'm sure guys get it too, except not nearly as harsh as the ladies.
The whole fat acceptance movement is becoming bigger and bigger, but I don't think muscle acceptance has made much progress at all. How can we bring this to more people's attention that muscle shaming IS a problem?

When will people realize that ALL body shaming is NEVER okay? Why is ok to bash one body type and accept another? Do people think that because someone is fit that they obviously don't have any insecurities and it's okay to bash them?

Replies

• theutahdesertfox
    theutahdesertfox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think if you look at comments anywhere on any site, about any topic, you are in for extreme disappointment in the human race.
  • dgoodie92
    dgoodie92 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Look up fitness videos in YouTube, read comments
  • blueyellowhorse
    blueyellowhorse Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I think if you look at comments anywhere on any site, about any topic, you are in for extreme disappointment in the human race.

Yeah but the thing is for a lot of those topics pretty much everyone knows what they are saying is wrong. What I'm trying to say I really think people think it's okay or not really a big deal to muscle shame. A lot of people are ignorant about doing it. There will always be people shaming others no matter how many times they hear it's wrong. Those people we can't do anything about. We need to bring attention to the ignorant people who don't realize how hurtful their muscle shaming can be.
  • BeardedMike
    BeardedMike Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Spot on
  • theutahdesertfox
    theutahdesertfox Posts: 96 Member
    Options

Yeah but the thing is for a lot of those topics pretty much everyone knows what they are saying is wrong. What I'm trying to say I really think people think it's okay or not really a big deal to muscle shame. A lot of people are ignorant about doing it. There will always be people shaming others no matter how many times they hear it's wrong. Those people we can't do anything about. We need to bring attention to the ignorant people who don't realize how hurtful their muscle shaming can be.

What on earth makes you think that people "muscle shaming" are any worse than people spouting ignorance on other topics?
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Spot on

I don't even have to go looking to be disappointed in the human race on a daily basis......
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I think most people follow the path of least resistance. It is easier to elevate oneself, not by striving for excellence, but by pushing everyone else down.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    If you look online it's pretty hard to find a physical attribute not in some way being shamed.

On the plus side there is also alot of acceptance and positive thinking about those same attributes on other sites or the next post down. I just read the happy nice people's comments, no one should be shamed for their body whatever it looks like but it has and always will happen. The Internet has only made it more visable.

I've been both fat and skinny shamed on review websites and idiotic posts (kinda hoping to be muscle shamed one day. lol) and I'm at a point where I just don't care, I'll have my body how I want it but it used to hurt. I don't see the need for people to shame others over physical criteria, those people commenting on others have no idea the damage they can inflict on a persons self esteem and I seriously doubt they are the picture of perfection themselves.
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You mean people shaming women because they have too much muscle in their opinion? I have never seen that happening, but yeah it doesn't surprise me... I am sure that it does.

I don't see how muscle can be something that you should be shamed about. I like it when people have a good amount of it!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    That might happen on the internet, but it would be unwise to body shame a muscular woman in real life. My response wouldn't be very nice, and my even larger husband's would be less nice.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    What it all boils down to is those people are envious and try to insult the person they wish they looked like.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    SirJaseph wrote: »
    You mean people shaming women because they have too much muscle in their opinion? I have never seen that happening, but yeah it doesn't surprise me... I am sure that it does.

I don't see how muscle can be something that you should be shamed about. I like it when people have a good amount of it!

Well I think some of the women are shamed for the lack of body fat showing there definition more than muscle itself. I don't think those women give any *kitten* about that crap.

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    We see it on here, all over other internet sites, and in real life.

Adding "shaming" to other people's dissenting opinions is as cleaver as adding 'gate' on things to make innocuous things sounds like huge scandals.

Welcome to the sensationalism of America anymore.

• ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

You know, I heard Wil Wheaton say something really cool about this recently. He guesses that for every one positive comment there are 3 other people who feel the same but don't voice their opinion and for every one negative comment there is only one other person who feels the same but doesn't say anything. So if you have 100 comments; 50 are positive and 50 are negative, then really that means 200 people are positive and only 100 are negative.

I guess what he's trying to say is that anonymous negativity gives a skewed view of reality.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    We see it on here, all over other internet sites, and in real life.

Adding "shaming" to other people's dissenting opinions is as cleaver as adding 'gate' on things to make innocuous things sounds like huge scandals.

Welcome to the sensationalism of America anymore.

Oh yeah, it is much easier to dismiss people's feelings instead of trying to be understanding. You must be a super fun guy.

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that people who have put in the enormous amount of effort required to build muscle are never going to be made to feel ashamed of that. No matter what other people say. And rightly so.

You don't specify exactly how people are trying to shame people with muscle. If it is because someone has said that a person has put on too much muscle and they don't think this looks good doesn't mean they are "shaming" anyone, it is just a personal aesthetic preference.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Is this a serious post?

Go read the posts on any YouTube video of a mentally retarded person. Go read the comments towards any other "group" of people ANYWHERE. This goes on all over the internet and it's nothing new. Why choose one group to defend?

The better alternative is to not even seek out those comments if it's only going to fuel your discontentment with what's being posted. Unless you think you're going to fix it?