Getting started

Options
OK so I've always been overweight, I was a fat teen, a fat kid and now I'm a fat adult. The exception to this was my 6 years in the army but in my minds eye I was still fat that whole time until towards the end when I realized I wasn't. I got thin enough to join the army by starving myself and working out with garbage bags on for 3 months straight. Lost 40 lbs in 3 months with a recruiter, not the healthiest way but it worked. Problem is in the army I didn't have to think, my meals were made in the Defac and I was given proper portions as well as it was literally in my job description and part of my exercise 6 days a week. Fast forward 3 years and I work in IT behind a desk 8-12 hours a day with no chance to even get up half the time and I'm back to being a fat guy. I hate it.

I went from 6'3" 220 to now I'm 355. I hate myself for it and I try diets that DO work but I lose 20 lbs diet ends and it comes back. I need a way that works, I almost think the army hampers my ability a bit because it was so much easier when you didn't even have to think about it.

Any and all advice/comments welcome.

Replies

• smilidon04
    smilidon04 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is one of how to get started. Lol, I just feel like it's such an impossible task. People talk about struggling to lose 20 lbs in 6 months. Hell I'd still be obese. I can't even tell you how I got here.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The army experience probably makes you think you need to be doing tons of exercise to lose weight, but the truth is that all you need to do is get started with MFP (it will give you a calorie goal). Get as close as you can to that goal every day. Use a food scale ($20 or so) to make sure you are accurate with the amounts of food. Add in exercise (especially weight training) but in reasonable amounts. Weigh yourself regularly.

That will get you started. Give yourself a month or so to see how things go. Then start to make adjustments that help you find how YOU best like to eat get to your calorie goals. You want to do things that are a fit for you and your lifestyle, in other words, find what works for you and that you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life. You've lost and regained before. Do something different this time.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    You have to make the decision to lose weight. Once you've made that decision, you will find a way. As long as you keep thinking about it, wanting to do it, and putting it off until tomorrow or next month or next week, you haven't made the decision. Make the decision and stick with it. Come up with excuses like people struggling to lose 20 pounds in six months, and you won't make the decision. Even if you only lose two pounds a month, that's 24 pounds a year. If you gain two pounds a month, that's still 24 pounds a year. It is your choice. It is your decision.
  • smilidon04
    Options
    I've started recording food last Friday, and I've found it makes me want to eat out more. All the major chains food is already in the app and it seems easier. Am I the only one like that?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    No, but eating out will NOT help you lose weight. Restaurants manage to pack loads of calories and sodium into their meals. I'm sure you aren't the only one like that, but if you want to lose weight, you need to leave that crowd.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Ok, you're IT, so this is perfect!
    All you have to do is eat fewer kcal than you burn, that's it. Set MFP to sedentary and log log log!

It's like data acquisition, and you know how we tech brains love us some consistent data!

Update your goals every 10lbs or so and you'll shrink alright!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    smilidon04 wrote: »
    I've started recording food last Friday, and I've found it makes me want to eat out more. All the major chains food is already in the app and it seems easier. Am I the only one like that?
    There are lots of ways to make this work. Many people lose eating out, but especially down the road you may find preparing your own food most of the time will be tastier and you'll get more bang for the buck.

• smilidon04
    Options
    Good point, and yes I did think I needed exercise alot. I currently go to the gym 3x a week and make sure I get to "fat burn" heart rate for at least 20-30 min each day. I think sodas are probably 75% of my problem. Is here any easy way to kick those other than "just stop it". I don't smoke or drink or do anything else, is how I've justified it this long.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    How much soda? If they really are 75% of your problem that's a pretty easier fix.
    Enter a typical day into your diary and see how much it adds up to. Then cut right back, or quit totally, or switch to diet. You can still have soda if you can fit it into your daily calories.
  • Thiatereika
    Thiatereika Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You already accomplished your first step! You are here and asking questions. I'll friend you and try and help keep you motivated. Here are some tips that will make starting out easier.

1- reduce sugar! Sugary drinks are a waste of calories. I only drink lemon water and coffee with Splenda (I know aspartame yikes)
    2. Stay clear of chain restaurants.. All of them! It's so tempting and such a quick meal but is it really worth it? BIG NO! If you find yourself out with friends or family and end up at one of these horribly tasty places only eat half and save the rest!
    3. Get moving! I'm not talking training for a marathon. Take random 5 minutes through the day to walk in place, turn your music up or ear buds in dance in your living room, kitchen or hell even your bathroom! My fave thing to do is have a dance party in my kitchen!
    4. Count calories here as best as possible. Buy yourself a little digital scale and even if you only use it to cut back a little at a time it makes a huge difference.
    5. Just a suggestion but when you get to a point where your comfortable in your new formed habits but a heart rate monitor. What I love about having my Basis watch is I can just go for a light walk and see my hrt rate go up. You don't even have to break into a sweaty pool, just get it up a bit. Go to sites that can calculate what your heart rate should be for fat burning. You would be surprised by how low it can be to make a difference. Mines 135-142. That's a light sweat but more often then not I stay about 125 when I'm just running errands.

I hope these tips help to get you started. Start small and make changes. You will be surprised how much better you feel!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    smilidon04 wrote: »

I find it easier to eat at home because I can just scan the barcodes of the food I eat. But even if you do eat fast food all the time, you'll lose weight if you keep to the calorie goal MFP gave you.
  • smilidon04
    Options
    I didn't know you could scan the barcodes. Good to know, and thanks for the tips everyone.