Any breastfeeding moms on here?

Options
I work full time & I am breastfeeding my 3 month old. I have a two year old. I'm trying to eat healthy & lose weight but not diminish my supply. Any tips/tricks? I'm allowed 1650 calories/day but I'm starving all the time!

Replies

• sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I never felt a big contribution from breastfeeding to my weight loss. So I even if you're supposed to make up for it, I never did.
    If you're really starving, then see what you need to add to feel better. Then stick with that and see if you still lose. If not, you're in the same boat as many others who are not breastfeeding...
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a 4 month old.

LLL recommends a MINIMUM of 1800 calories. IMO, I'd eat at LEAST that. I'm 5'2 and 155 lbs and I'm slowly losing on 2000 calories, with just a tiny bit of sporadic exercise. If you're hungry, eat.
  • GreenLadyMom
    GreenLadyMom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight. I've dropped from 208 to 178lbs so far I'm just at a plateau. I read on Kellymom.com that you need at least 1500-1800 calories. I'm 5'7 & I am shooting gnto get back to my pre-pregnancy weight of 155lbs.

I eat healthy with lots of protein & drink a ton of water. I am also insulin dependent diabetic since age 6 so I know about carb & calorie counting. I just don't want to compromise my supply.
  • inked_Calimom82
    inked_Calimom82 Posts: 143 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I recently stopped breastfeeding but I breastfed my son up until about a month ago or so. He's about to turn 18mos and I got mastitis so I decided to stop. Lots and lots of water! Eat small meals frequent, roughly 2-3 hours apart and lots of lean protein, fresh veggies and some fruit. Drink lots of water to feel fuller. Make sure u know how much water u should even be drinkin at your current weight. Also, make sure your getting enough calories. Breastfeeding burns 600-800 calories so you need to make up for that or u will feel tired and have no energy.
  • GreenLadyMom
    GreenLadyMom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well y'all I just had labs drawn & I'm anemic so that makes sense why I am so tired. Ugh.. on to iron supplements & lots of spinach! Thank you for the advice.

Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a way you could let the app know you are breastfeeding to help account for that in your goal tracking/caloric intake?
  • jonniemomof9ak
    jonniemomof9ak Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think some people have added it as exercise or a food with a negative calorie count. I would search around. I breastfed and lost weight at 1800 cal. with exercising, & not eating back exercise calories. I would lose around 2 lbs/week. Good luck its a juggle.
  • IAmAPearl
    IAmAPearl Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a way you could let the app know you are breastfeeding to help account for that in your goal tracking/caloric intake?

If you search breastfeeding in the food database, it'll have a bunch of entries depending on how old your baby is. It'll show like it says 500cal, but when you add it, it's actually -500cal.
    So if you want to have a 1500cal/day diet, and then add in your breastfeeding needs, it'll be 2000cal/day.

• fieldsey2014
    fieldsey2014 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to eat a little more. Try 1800 calories for a couple of weeks then reassess how hungry you are and how much weight you have lost. Being hungry is a tiring business but not quite as tiring as having two young children!