Trying to maintain but questioning current weight

Options
adp0196
adp0196 Posts: 10 Member
edited May 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I have been trying to lose weight on and off for what seems like forever. Within the past 2 years or so I have lost 40 lbs. I'm 5'4 and weigh 120. I know I should be happy about the way I look but I still feel like I should be losing more weight. I feel extremely fat and gross all the time. Unfortunately I honestly just don't have enough money to keep buying smaller clothes. I feel like I should be happy with myself, my boyfriend loves the way. My mom consistently tells me I only weight as much as I do because I have a D cup size. And of course my grandma puts into the mix of me having trouble dealing with the way I look by telling me in too skinny and I need to eat more.
I've just recently started working to maintain instead of lose and I feel like I'm just getting fatter even though the scale number never changes.
Has anyone had any similar problems to what I'm going through? Any advice?
Thanks in advance

Replies

• arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    It honestly sounds like you are having some issues with an eating disorder. Please talk with someone about it.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I just posted today that I have met my goal weight but still have belly and thigh flab. The recommendation is to concentrate on building muscle and strength through heavy lifting. I'm certainly no expert but this is what I intend to do (I started lifting a month or so ago). I'd go through the board and find posts about lifting; learn what you can and give it a go!
  • adp0196
    Options
    It honestly sounds like you are having some issues with an eating disorder. Please talk with someone about it.

If I had an eating disorder wouldn't I be not eating or be eating too much or throwing up what I do eat, I've never done any of that.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    At 120 and 5'4" you definitely don't need to lose more weight. It's in your head, and if anything you might be unhappy with your body composition. Why don't you work on some strength training to get stronger, even if you decide not to bulk and build muscle, strength training does amazing things for confidence and health.
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hey I think I know what you mean. I'm actually the same height and weight as you, but I still carry some fat. So I assume what you mean is that you are "skinny fat"? This is really common! As the above poster recommends it's now all about changing your body composition - losing fat, while gaining muscle to give you that toned look you are after.

It's all about lifting heavy weights and cardio! My body has changed so much from weight training.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Hey I think I know what you mean. I'm actually the same height and weight as you, but I still carry some fat. So I assume what you mean is that you are "skinny fat"? This is really common! As the above poster recommends it's now all about changing your body composition - losing fat, while gaining muscle to give you that toned look you are after.

It's all about lifting heavy weights and cardio! My body has changed so much from weight training.

Though less about the cardio.
  • CatHunterFit
    Options
    I know other women who don't do any cardio and have had great results. For me, HiiT training has worked. And I *cough* enjoy cardio.
  • adp0196
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    At 120 and 5'4" you definitely don't need to lose more weight. It's in your head, and if anything you might be unhappy with your body composition. Why don't you work on some strength training to get stronger, even if you decide not to bulk and build muscle, strength training does amazing things for confidence and health.

Any tips on doing that? I never work out and wouldn't even know where to start.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I know other women who don't do any cardio and have had great results. For me, HiiT training has worked. And I *cough* enjoy cardio.

Hehe. Of course do it if you enjoy it. Nothing wrong with burning a few calories.
  • arditarose
    Options
    adp0196 wrote: »

Well, the best thing is heavy weight training. If you're just starting out though and don't want to get into that, you can still get results with body weight training. Unfortunately I don't do that, so I can't give you much info. But nerfitness.com has been suggested for beginning bodyweight training, as well as "You Are Your Own Gym" and "Convict Conditioning".

Try this to start
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • arditarose
    Options
    OP, I'm 5'4" as well. I'm 130ish and don't think I'm slim enough either, but I opted for a body recomp.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

If I had an eating disorder wouldn't I be not eating or be eating too much or throwing up what I do eat, I've never done any of that.

Don't need to do any of that to have an unhealthy body image. Losing 40 lbs is a huge difference and sometimes it takes awhile to get used to it, been there a couple years ago. Take it easy and see if your mind catches up to your new body in a little bit.
  • CatHunterFit
    Options

Do you have any equipment at home? I work out at home and have used a bunch of different programs to get me started - Jamie Eason's LiveFit on Bodybuilding.com is good, but you'll need access to a gym. Same for 5x5 Stronglifts - or you need some serious equipment at home.

Some more accessible programs might be something like the 21 Day Fix or P90X which requires just dumbbells to workout at home.

• adp0196
    edited May 2015
    Options

Lol cardio is not my thing at all Though I know exercise is what I need I can't even bring myself to think about it without crying lol
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. You certainly sound like you have some irrational anxiety combining body dysmorphia (your BMI is in the healthy range, but on the lower end of it and you have large breasts, but you feel "fat" and "gross" -- btw maybe you want to watch that judgy body language around other people who might ACTUALLY be overweight? because if someone with your body type is "gross" then WTF am I?) with feelings of shame around eating.

It might or might not be eating disorder related, but in all kindness it sounds like you could benefit from some objective counseling to work through these feelings. You seem to recognize yourself that these feelings are irrational.
  • adp0196
    Options

Do you have any equipment at home? I work out at home and have used a bunch of different programs to get me started - Jamie Eason's LiveFit on Bodybuilding.com is good, but you'll need access to a gym. Same for 5x5 Stronglifts - or you need some serious equipment at home.

Some more accessible programs might be something like the 21 Day Fix or P90X which requires just dumbbells to workout at home.

I have absolutely nothing at home. All the weight I lost was just from dieting, no exercise at all
  • CatHunterFit
    Options
    Is it financially viable for you to join a gym or invest in some weights? You can sometimes pick up dumbbells for free on websites like Craigslist.

In the meantime you can do bodyweight moves as suggested by arditarose - push ups, squats, lunges, tricep dips.
  • adp0196
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »

Not necessarily. You certainly sound like you have some irrational anxiety combining body dysmorphia (your BMI is in the healthy range, but on the lower end of it and you have large breasts, but you feel "fat" and "gross" -- btw maybe you want to watch that judgy body language around other people who might ACTUALLY be overweight? because if someone with your body type is "gross" then WTF am I?) with feelings of shame around eating.

It might or might not be eating disorder related, but in all kindness it sounds like you could benefit from some objective counseling to work through these feelings. You seem to recognize yourself that these feelings are irrational.

Sorry, didn't mean to use offensive language. I honestly look at people larger than me and think they're skinnier than me so it has nothing to do with they way I really look.
    I mean I realize I have issues I just don't seem them as an eating disorder. I see an eating disorder as the way I ate when I was younger and used food to calm my fears during my parents divorce lol (which was a ton for a kid)
  • adp0196
    Options
    Is it financially viable for you to join a gym or invest in some weights? You can sometimes pick up dumbbells for free on websites like Craigslist.

In the meantime you can do bodyweight moves as suggested by arditarose - push ups, squats, lunges, tricep dips.

I would probably do better doing things at home away from people lol. I'll have to try those you listed
  • CatHunterFit
    Options
    Check out a workout channel on YouTube called Zuzka Light - she does short workouts that only involve bodyweight. They might include some cardio though sorry!!