PLEASE HELP! Lack of motivation and guilt after eating!

Options
Hi all,
I don't usually post on forums, but, i'm desperate!

After losing a tonne of weight early 2014 (i lived in the gym, attended Crossfit 3 times a week, competing in running events and mountain biking) due to my partner working offshore for a 3 month period, i have since completely and utterly fallen off the wagon. Upon his return we encountered some family issues which hit us both really hard. I stopped working out, stopped running and my diet went out the window.

Now, over 12 month later, i feel the need to kick myself back in to shape....however, i have lost motivation! I thought if i changed gym (to one that did classes which i find helps), brought new gym clothes and shoes, dragged out the running mags, that it would help me get excited again... no such luck... I still mountain bike and will attend the gym if i really feel like it, but I am finding myself slipping further and further in to the rut. I find i'm fighting with myself at meal time and constantly during the day, all i want to eat is chocolate and foods i know aren't good for me! I can see my waist line expanding :'( I find that after eating something naughty, i feel terribly guilty.

I just need some help. If anyone can offer me some tips, tricks, ideas to help me get back to a healthier, better me! I would also appreciate some low fat, low calorie recipes.

I love myfitnesspal, and use it religiously. I also wear a Fitbit Charge HR 24/7.

Replies

• aimmer20
    aimmer20 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I can relate to the guilty feeling and wanting chocolate especially around that certain time of month. I would say you shouldn't deprive yourself completely. When you have the craving you should have the chocolate but only a little and make it dark chocolate. Fulfill your cravings early so you won't feel the need to binge after depriving yourself so long.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have lost motivation!

I just need some help. If anyone can offer me some tips, tricks, ideas to help me get back to a healthier, better me!

I love myfitnesspal, and use it religiously. I also wear a Fitbit Charge HR 24/7.

Find some friends in the Fitbit Users group, and start doing Fitbit challenges: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users They're great motivation—and fun!

Then read the Sexypants post. So much good information: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • jennarowe96
    jennarowe96 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies!!

Just having people to talk to about weight loss and exercise may help. So expect to see me around the blog more frequently :)
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the chocolate. I eat 100 calories of dark chocolate every day. Yes, I wish it was more sometimes. But knowing I'm entitled to it every day, makes it much easier to go with less. My profile pic is one of my truffles that I make as a hobby. Can you imagine fighting that chocolate urge? :wink:

Ditto on the running. I recently started back up again after being dormant for 6 months and gaining 20 pounds (no joke). I used to run in races too (5K, 20K, marathon, etc.), and I plan to again. Soon! I just need to keep putting one foot in front of the other. It takes time, just like the long races. My first 3 miler 3 months ago was a nightmare. My 8 miler last weekend was rough, but 3 miles feels so much easier now.

Try not to feel guilty for what you eat. You haven't broken a law. Stay on track with movement. Baby steps. You will make it.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Is the cause the family issues and can you put effort into resolving those, because they seem to be making everything else meh. the other alternative is to isolate your thinking so your diet and exercise are not influenced by emotional real lif events and it becomes your safe haven. It just sounds like comfort eating with the solution to deal with the issues. If its not then all the usual straegues of small steps. You sound as though you wnat back in or want the results but reluctant to commit. Start with 1 day and build from there, yep its a long journey, but fretting is just one day you didnt make progress to a target you believe you want.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I find i'm fighting with myself at meal time and constantly during the day, all i want to eat is chocolate and foods i know aren't good for me! I can see my waist line expanding :'( I find that after eating something naughty, i feel terribly guilty.

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period. Food is not a moral issue!

The guilt will hold you back. It sounds naff (cheesy), but treat yourself at least as kindly as you would a stranger—much less a friend. No negative self talk!

I eat "good" 80% of the time, and fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into my calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.
  • missplaymate618
    missplaymate618 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I will have the drive to hit the gym everyday then other days I just don't want to even think about the gym and I'll sit and eat Cheez-Its. I just need people around me to say I can do this I'm trying to tone up and I feel it's not working :-( best of luck to you all :-)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Not baff at all its deadly importnat that you look after the person you expect to do all the work and deliver what you want i.e yourself. Guilt, frustration and beating yourself up is all a serious waste of time and totally counterproductive to reaching target. Its just food no need to demonise it.
  • jennarowe96
    jennarowe96 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, much appreciated.
    The family issues have now been solved, but at the time they caused a real headache.

I managed to get to the gym tonight, did a Core class for 30min and then a Power (weight) class for 60min. Was brilliant :) feeling good.