• fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Okay really 5'1.5" ;)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    frogs777 wrote: »
    Makes me wonder why mine is so low then, 5 ft 4 in, 51 years sedentary lifestyle, 'only' got 14 lbs to lose yet asked for a loss of 1 lb a week - calorie intake 1,180... ?

I thought 1200 was minimum app would default to.

However, in practice, eating 1180 vs eating 1200 isn't really going to make any difference, that's only a difference of a mere 20 calories.

• jsarbee
    jsarbee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", in my 40s and have been assigned 1230 by MFP since January. I've lost 42 pounds. It's definitely doable and as someone said, as long as I make good, healthy choices, I don't feel hungry during the day. However, I exercise 4-5 days/week so on days when I exercise, I eat between 1330-1350 calories. At this stage of things 5+ months in, it doesn't feel like I'm dieting anymore, it just feels like I'm paying attention to what goes into my body so I can make good choices. If I know we're going to have a higher calorie dinner, I adjust breakfast/lunch/snacks to accommodate it. I'm not hungry, tired, lethargic or foggy; to the contrary, I feel better than I can remember feeling in years.
  • anaamaai
    anaamaai Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should check out http://funeralformyfat.tumblr.com/eatingenough If you do the calculations she provides it will give you the calories that work for you. I love her & I've gone by the calculations & lost weight :)
  • ashellynn
    ashellynn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is really different for everyone. I am 56 years old and losing weight is much more difficult. MFP said I should do 1400 per day for a one pound loss per week. It worked for a two months, but it took longer than a week for a pound. I found I was maybe having a 1/2 pound loss. Then I stopped losing altogether. So I dropped it to 1200. I started losing again, but it is still slow. It has been 4.5 months and I am only down 11 pounds. I do not add calories for my fitness. I am doing the 10,000 steps a day! So if I deducted the 600-700 calories I exercised, I am netting about 600-700 calories a day! Count your blessings that you lose as quickly as you do. Some days I try and boost my weight loss by only eating a 1000 calories and yes at 1200 I sometimes feel like I am starving!
  • salygrl
    salygrl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i did it for 2 months.

it was a horrible 2 months

i did learn i love to exercise though LOLOL

mine is set at 1450 and i still lose about 2 pounds a week (i do workout 5 times a week and eat back some, and sometimes all, of those calories ;) )

• salygrl
    Options
    I've been doing this for a few months and only lost maybe 6lbs. I'm very frustrated to say the least. I've been running, walking, doing body pump and combat. Yes, there are days I eat all of my exercise calories and sometimes I've not exercised and over ate. I'm finding the 1200 calories is too low for me because I am hungry. Yes my body has changed because I'm building muscle and it takes less space but why isn't the scale moving?! If I've "technically" eaten 1450 calories like you, what am I doing wrong? I'm 5'6 And 156lbs. I have a desk job but do workout at least 5 days
    salygrl wrote: »
    i did it for 2 months.

it was a horrible 2 month

mine is set at 1450 and i still lose about 2 pounds a week (i do workout 5 times a week and eat back some, and sometimes all, of those calories ;) )

• fr3smyl
    Options
    I've been doing this for a few months and only lost maybe 6lbs. I'm very frustrated to say the least. I've been running, walking, doing body pump and combat. Yes, there are days I eat all of my exercise calories and sometimes I've not exercised and over ate. I'm finding the 1200 calories is too low for me because I am hungry. Yes my body has changed because I'm building muscle and it takes less space but why isn't the scale moving?! If I've "technically" eaten 1450 calories like you, what am I doing wrong? I'm 5'6 And 156lbs. I have a desk job but do workout at least 5 days
    i did it for 2 months.

it was a horrible 2 month

It's probably because I have more weight to lose than you. The closer you are to normal weight got your height the slower the weight loss.
  • ShapingTheLaw
    ShapingTheLaw Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    SALYGIRL: You say the scale hasn't moved for you but have you lost inches? I weight train too and do cardio at least 5 times a week. I have an example of weight training with cardio vs. cardio only. A good friend of mine who is my height, 5'2. I am a year older than she is. We both have children. We both eat healthy. She lost over 50 lbs. doing cardio only. She weighs about 4 lbs lighter than me but I'm "smaller" in size than she is. My point is that although she is lighter, she's bigger than me. It's the weight training with cardio verses just cardio that makes a difference on the scale. You might also want to weigh your food intake and measure rather than eyeballing what you eat. When I first tried it, I found that I was eating waaay over my calorie limit. I want to also mention, that this is MY experience. I'm not going to tell you you're wrong. I'm not an expert and I don't know you. Just like to share my experience.
  • salygrl
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I do both cardio and weights. I have lost inches. Although that also has come to a stop. Those haven't moved in at least 2 months. I do weigh my foods but I'm also guilty of eyeballing too. I'm just hungry. I'm at a loss now as to what to eat to keep me fuller but is low in calories. I love to eat! If I'm supposed to eat 1200 a day and I burn 400 in exercise(I use a heart rate monitor), should I eat the entire 400? MFP increases my calories when I log activity. I've never been more confused.
  • gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My fitbit says that today I burned 1417 calories. Maybe I'll get in a couple hundred more before bed at most. There's definitely a reason I'm eating 1200 most days lol.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I do both cardio and weights. I have lost inches. Although that also has come to a stop. Those haven't moved in at least 2 months. I do weigh my foods but I'm also guilty of eyeballing too. I'm just hungry. I'm at a loss now as to what to eat to keep me fuller but is low in calories. I love to eat! If I'm supposed to eat 1200 a day and I burn 400 in exercise(I use a heart rate monitor), should I eat the entire 400? MFP increases my calories when I log activity. I've never been more confused.

If you're hungry all the time have checked on your tdee to make sure you're eating enough? There are a few forums that about it.
  • cmoll520
    cmoll520 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was assigned 1200ish but after a couple months just couldn't do it. I set it to 1350. I also exercise (cardio) 5-6 times a week. I generally end up eating 1000-1600 a day (a handful of days have been higher) and netting an average of 1200-1500/day. I am losing at anywhere from 1-2lbs a week. I'm happy with it and it's sustainable and I'm never really hungry.

I'm 5'5" female- started at 175 in jan and am around 141 now.
  • HadassahsMomma
    HadassahsMomma Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just put my food at 1,200, but it's 1,200 net, not set in stone 1,200. Personally eating at 1,200 net encourages me to exercise. If I keep it at 1,500 I am less likely to workout, but at 1,200 I want to eat more so I go out and earn it. Makes me happier because I can control how much I get to eat and I feel better because I am moving my body. That keeps me accountable and moving.

Set in stone 1,200 is rough..
  • ShapingTheLaw
    Options
    I just put my food at 1,200, but it's 1,200 net, not set in stone 1,200. Personally eating at 1,200 net encourages me to exercise. If I keep it at 1,500 I am less likely to workout, but at 1,200 I want to eat more so I go out and earn it. Makes me happier because I can control how much I get to eat and I feel better because I am moving my body. That keeps me accountable and moving.

Perrfect response! I like structure and boudaries too. I also wanted to add to this discussion that I think it's very important that we keep in mind that 1200 or whatever formula you get based on your activity level, height and, yes, age is a guideline. And, that there's no size fits all. It's naive to tell someone that they're doing something wrong because it differs with what works for you especially without knowing the person personally or without knowing all the facts. It's much more helpful to preface resoonses with, "This is what worked for me..." Your response was perfect and helpful in that aspect.

• ShapingTheLaw
    Options
    cmoll520 wrote: »
    I was assigned 1200ish but after a couple months just couldn't do it. I set it to 1350. I also exercise (cardio) 5-6 times a week. I generally end up eating 1000-1600 a day (a handful of days have been higher) and netting an average of 1200-1500/day. I am losing at anywhere from 1-2lbs a week. I'm happy with it and it's sustainable and I'm never really hungry.

I'm 5'5" female- started at 175 in jan and am around 141 now.

Good for you. You were smart to make adjustments that worked for you. ☺
  • ShapingTheLaw
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »

If you're hungry all the time have checked on your tdee to make sure you're eating enough? There are a few forums that about it.
    SALYGIRL, you might want to have your thyroid checked out especially if you are over 35. I had a tough time initially losing the weight. I had to insist and insist to my doctor that there was something else wrong with me because the fatigue I was feeling was very real. After testing, I had an under active thyroid. I'm on meds and it's made a huge difference in my weight loss struggle.

• vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

Agree. :)
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on 1200 before and so I wanted to try it again this year.. I found myself feeling extremely hungry, tired, crazy cravings and just over all in a bad mood. I was confused because I was able to do it 3 years ago and now It seems impossible.

I reevaluated my goals, and now I am eating around 1,700 calories and still on a weight loss. It will probably take longer but I don't feel like a grumpy hungry bear ready to rip someones head off haha

I'm 5'8 at 62kg currently.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1", age 32, sedentary job, eat back my exercise calories on top of the 1200 I eat. I am not hungry. I eat on meals out (last week included Jamie's Italian and a carvery) and drink. You have to exercise. If I didn't then 1200 would probably be tougher.