Protein powder/shakes for weight loss?

Options
So since most people are firm believers of the high protein diets for weight loss... what are your ideas on protein power or shakes to increase protein? Within calorie limits of course.

More muscle = faster weight loss? Or is this wrong? I've heard so many different opinions on that topic.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    in the MFP world, calorie deficits are for weight loss.. not muscles...

Certainly you can be at a deficit to loose fat and lift weights to maintain your current mass and even build a little muscle, but you do not loose weight faster having more muscle...

More muscles come from eating at surplus and in a surplus you will gain some weight in the process so this is an entirely different topic (I am sure you have heard of bulking and cutting cycles?)

Eat a deficit to loose weight using MFP tool and lift weights to gain a little muscle and maintain your current mass...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are simply a supplement for where you need a convenient boost to reach your protein target. Most people prefer to eat real food. Protein is some peoples favoured method for satiety.

I eat normal food amongst which will be lean protein. I have occasional protein shakes when I need the extra protein, but cnat be bothered to cook.

Eating at a deficit means its very difficult to gain muscle at the same time. The aim of resistance training is to preserve what muscle you already have.
  • jwolford90
    jwolford90 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Good points. Why do some people prefer to have intense weight resistance while losing weight? That's what I assumed was the best approach to preserving muscle while losing weight.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes will not make you lose weight or gain muscle mass simply by taking them. They are great for helping you to get your protein intake up and can be a great part of a weight loss diet.

Higher protein diets combined with resistance training can help you to protect your muscle mass as you diet down, which will keep your metabolism up. Plus, resistance training is great for burning through calories, both while you're doing it and for the next day as your muscles repair themselves. Resistance training has always been the biggest component of my exercise regimes, even as I dropped my 64 lbs.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jwolford90 wrote: »
    Good points. Why do some people prefer to have intense weight resistance while losing weight? That's what I assumed was the best approach to preserving muscle while losing weight.

your assumption was right

the right amount of protein helps with muscle repair of course but it's rare that you build muscle in a defecit (newbie gains and teenage boys excepted)

but calorie defecit for weight loss
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

exactly. 0.8grams of protein for each lb of body weight and some form of resistance training/heavy lifting to preserve muscle while losing weight. You will still lose some muscle but it will be vastly reduced.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I prefer real food but I have a protein shake almost every day, sometimes as a lunch replacement but usually as an afternoon snack in between my daily workout and my evening workout. When I use it as a meal replacement it gives me a necessary boost, helps get my protein for the day and also assists with weight loss, but only because it is low calorie.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    So since most people are firm believers of the high protein diets for weight loss... what are your ideas on protein power or shakes to increase protein? Within calorie limits of course.

More muscle = faster weight loss? Or is this wrong? I've heard so many different opinions on that topic.

I don't see where most people are firm believers of a high protein diet for weight loss. You can have all the protein you want and still gain weight if you eat at a calorie surplus. The only way to lose weight is to eat at a calorie deficit.

Protein drinks are for recovery after weight lifting, or if you can't meet your protein macro otherwise. They have no special weight loss prooperties.