Why no legs/squatting in commercial gyms?

Options
zaxx1953
zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
Coming from an athletic background I was introduced to lifting/gym work from a functional POV but still loved the way I ended up looking aesthetically (big and powerful) as a teen. I always worked lower and upper body, and end up with a fairly balanced physique.

I guess everyone hears about guys in commercial gyms who only curl/bench, etc. etc., but the reality is actually worse than I ever thought.

Virtually NO MEN in commercial gyms squat to decent depth. You have the most effective exercise on the planet and no men seem remotely interested in even trying it. Furthermore, a lot of men- not all- basically just totally ignore their whole lower body...

Why is that?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    wuhhhh?

Who is "virtually NO men"?
  • zaxx1953
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    wuhhhh?

Who are the men I am talking about?

The men who populate commercial gyms i've frequented around the country for over a decade now since i've been out of college. I see virtually no men squatting to depth where I would call the movement a full squat, even less to ATG where MOST people without injury consideration probably should be squatting.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Wow . Where are you? I'm at the Jersey shore, and I see men working legs and squatting all the time.
  • zaxx1953
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Wow . Where are you? I'm at the Jersey shore, and I see men working legs and squatting all the time.

Chicago.

I see men doing something like the top 1/3rd of a full ROM squat, but that certainly isn't something I would ever call a squat. Maybe a 1/2 squat or lockout.

This is a full squat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8If9qgSRQ8
  • taraskylit
    taraskylit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I frequently see men doing decent squats.
    IDK where you train at.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    gia07 wrote: »
    wuhhhh?

Who are the men I am talking about?

The men who populate commercial gyms i've frequented around the country for over a decade now since i've been out of college. I see virtually no men squatting to depth where I would call the movement a full squat, even less to ATG where MOST people without injury consideration probably should be squatting.

Country where you are from, because not in my country..

edited to add: I see you are in the country of Chicago... maybe it is this... :D
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    That's odd to me because it's common here. But I don't usually go to gyms outside of my town, so I'm unsure why people squat here very often but not over in Chicago. Btw, it's a lovely town.:-)
  • zaxx1953
    Options
    That's odd to me because it's common here. But I don't usually go to gyms outside of my town, so I'm unsure why people squat here very often but not over in Chicago. Btw, it's a lovely town.:-)

Thnks, it is nice.

Not much squatting where i've been, but I admittedly haven't lifted on the east coast much at all.

Is montreal the coast?

Hey, if people are doing roughly what she is on the vid, that's phenomenal. I just don't see it often.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    I'm interested to see men reply to this thread and see if they've noticed the same thing where they live or their reasons why they don't squat. I would take a video but the men at my gym will likely assume I'm a weirdo lol . But feel free to come squat here!
    The only thing I can think of is that some men at your gym possibly have injuries, because why else would they not work legs and squat properly? Unless they just don't know better. That's why I'm interested to see men's replies to this thread.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I usually go to my small-town, non-chain gym during slow periods where there just aren't alot of people in the free-weight section anyway...but for the most part, the squat rack is almost always available, and when I do see guys use it, for squats (not for shrugs, curls, or OHP) they're not doing full ROM squats--more like quarter or half squats. I really don't see many guys do full squats. I saw a very in-shape gal doing squats the other day, and even she wasn't doing full ROM squats. Funny once you know what a full ROM squat is...and how important doing that full ROM...you notice when it's not done correctly. And it drives me sorta nuts. I have the urge to speak up, but don't. Not my circus.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    People don't like doing squats or deadlifts. They are hard and draw attention from everyone else.

People don't like doing things hard and having attention drawn to them. They like quietly going through their lives doing the easy things...
  • hossandpeanut
    hossandpeanut Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I've sat and watched meat heads grunt and all but poop in their pants only to do a 1/2 squat WITH knees over extended..... Yes. I laugh!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I've seen plenty of *kitten*-to-the-grass squats in the gyms in my area. I've even seen an interesting variation where you're on your knees, *kitten*-to-heels and then lifting up. It isolates the glutes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    View is subjective unless you're living in the gyms and seeing each and every day. I've worked in several gyms and lots of dudes squat. And lots of dudes don't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I'm on the Jersey shore, as well. I rotate between 3 different locations within the same chain of commercial gym and see people doing full range or Rippetoe depth squats all the time. Granted, there will always be plenty of people that don't go full range.

On leg day, I go to the location with a squat rack, squat cage, and two smith machines and I rarely have to wait for the rack or cage. As soon as I finish, someone always jumps on it.

• luis702702
    luis702702 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I squat a little :)
  • ROBJ3411
    ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I almost made a fool of my self by saying this wasnt a FOM squat till I noticed it was a video and not a still shot ...10 push ups for me....
    It is kinda funny that most of the functional fitness guys do squats and Deadlifts along with OLY lifts all the time, but my experience from gyms around the county is that few "regular" lifters do legs the right way...

Chicago.

I see men doing something like the top 1/3rd of a full ROM squat, but that certainly isn't something I would ever call a squat. Maybe a 1/2 squat or lockout.

This is a full squat:

• terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Chicago.

This is a full squat:

That's my lifting coach! She's awesome.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Coming from an athletic background I was introduced to lifting/gym work from a functional POV but still loved the way I ended up looking aesthetically (big and powerful) as a teen. I always worked lower and upper body, and end up with a fairly balanced physique.

I guess everyone hears about guys in commercial gyms who only curl/bench, etc. etc., but the reality is actually worse than I ever thought.

Virtually NO MEN in commercial gyms squat to decent depth. You have the most effective exercise on the planet and no men seem remotely interested in even trying it. Furthermore, a lot of men- not all- basically just totally ignore their whole lower body...

Why is that?

For many men, because they weren’t trained to squat properly and now have bad muscle imbalances, they either don’t squat low because they can’t or because they’ve experienced knee pain doing so. Over time, they’ve come to believe that squating is dangerous.

Also, if they lift alone, they don’t want to deal with a failed rep. If they lift with others, the upper body work is easier to work in (variations in bench strength might be 20 lbs, so easy throw on two tens for a stronger lifter, whereas the squat might be 60 or more pounds, harder to swap weights).

And then there is the fact that leg days suck. That’s why I do full body programs, so every workout sucks. ;-)

But that isn’t every gym. There are some with some very good power and squat racks. If you see good heavy equipment when you go in, likely it is getting used.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since I've been in a gym regularly, but the squat racks where lifted mostly collected dust.