Meal replacement shakes

Options
fihaque
fihaque Posts: 2 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi
I have been using Paleomael (From Health by design) shakes as an occasional replacement for dinner. Are there other similar brands that I should look at. I am looking for variety and good quality
Thanks
-Faisal

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Slim-Fast and Ensure exist. That stuff is essentially whole milk + protein powder though, so if you don't need the portability you may as well just mix it up yourself and save a lot of money.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Paleomael? So our paleo ancestors made chocolate shakes from a plastic canister? I thought the whole idea of paleo was to eat real, whole foods?
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    Paleomael? So our paleo ancestors made chocolate shakes from a plastic canister? I thought the whole idea of paleo was to eat real, whole foods?

Yes they did. I was at the Museum of Natural History last week and sure enough I saw a chocolate protein shake guzzling Bro-magnon. Was way cool.

• Brandywyne13
    Brandywyne13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One of the better ones that you can find is Optifast 900, it's complete balanced nutrition. Depending on where you are at it can be hard to find. It's typically only provided by Drs. offices (or at least it's like that in Canada) as part of weight loss therapy. Another good one if you are worried about add sugars is Glucerna (it's diabetic so it's low in added sugars. Another to look for is Boost.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If you're watching your calories, and your macros (which I assume you're doing if you're concerned about a balanced meal replacement) then I think you could go with any protein shake and just build it into your plan.

I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey and will often use it as a replacement for lunch (just because I work out before lunch) or as an in-between meal. It packs a lot of protein with not too many calories. If you throw in fruit you can turn it into a smoothie.
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I do meal replacement shakes. Mine is 50 grams of whey isolate and 50 grams of Carbohydrate Powder (cyclic dextrin). Get's me cocked and loaded before my weight training workout at 6 pm. I Usually drink it about 4 pm. Has around 400 calories.