I have a 6 month old and its so hard to balance fitness with work and a child.

Options
Hello,
My name is Andrea and I had a baby 6 1/2 months ago. I gained 35 lbs during pregnancy. Before I got pregnant I had gained 50 lbs and my doctor didn't know why. I don't feel sexy or attractive anymore and I know that is normal but it makes me very sad. I am trying to diet and exercise as much as I can and I'm hoping to see some improvements fast. Its hard sometimes to balance work, the baby, and my relationship. I could use some encouragement and accountability. If you read all of this, thank you.
-Andrea jri0zvoxhztg.jpg

Replies

• _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Your baby is a cutie.
    When I had my two youngest I would take them out on walks whenever I got the chance to get out. Maybe set aside some time on your days off to start something like that. It's small, but it's a good start. :)
  • PlumpKitten
    PlumpKitten Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    First of all, Congrats! Second of all, you are not alone. You are going through something many - most - mothers do. Weight gain + recovery from childbirth + exhaustion. Having a baby is a wonderful - but few people also recognize how hard it is.

In terms of pure weight loss, cutting back on what you eat is the fastest, cheapest, most efficient way to do it. You don't need extra time / equipment / gym access to simply not eat that next milkshake or cookie -- just willpower.

Limiting calories through MFP will result in the most obvious changes quickly. And it's a great morale boost when you start shrinking out of your pregnancy clothes!

While exercise is great for you - alone, it doesn't take off the weight as quickly as dieting. If you have time for it, great. If not - well, you have an infant on your hands. When I didn't have time to do organized exercise -- like gym sessions or yoga classes -- I just walked everywhere with my child / children in Baby Bjorns / strollers. Trust me -- 15 min to and from nursery x 2 = 1 hour of walking. A grocery trip = 30 min of walking with what are essentially weights!

While it may not seem this way now -- this infant stage goes very quickly. Enjoy it while you can. Before you know it, your little one will be walking and talking. Trust me -- it does get easier.

Good luck!
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    Your baby is darling.

I get it. I do. I gained 57 lbs while on bedrest with my second pregnancy and he was a very medically complicated medically health challenged little guy. For seven months between pumping breast milk (he was on a feeding tube and also didn't have a normal immune system) and his medication needs I never got more than two hours sleep at a time and was lucky to get more than four hours sleep a day. It was slow but I lost the 57 pounds and have maintained that weigh loss for 13 years.

Try to rest when you can.
    Stay hydrated enough to have energy and nurse if you are nursing but otherwise don't worry too much about how much water you drink.
    Walk and move when you can. Do little bits at a time. Baby on the floor playing, do a few pushups. Take a walk with baby (and if you wish with a friend or your SO). You are working and raising a family and I assume doing housework and cooking. It is a lot, sometimes it feels too much.
    Can you coordinate to have an hour to yourself a few days a week to focus on your exercise? It is not at all selfish to take care of you and you'll be a better mom and a better partner for it.
    Eat healthy and don't try too hard to lose too fast. Just a slow steady loss is a key.
    One thing that I really have grown to love is that first thing when I wake up is that I do pilates. Just as much as I have time for, between 6 - 15 minutes of basic pilates, the hundreds, and then start through the sequence. I add in some extra back moves, cat/cow and some downward facing dog. No matter what it does not take long and makes me feel better all day.

This time does pass quickly. Do what you can, make slow/steady progress and enjoy every minute that you can.
  • Gabyleon6
    Gabyleon6 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im new to my fitness pal , I also gained a lot of weight in my pregnancy and the worst of it gestational diabetes for being overweight so now I'm trying to lose weight :) I know how you feel, I feel the same way lets help each other stay in the right track :) ...your daughter is so beautiful
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    _QueenE_ wrote: »
    Your baby is a cutie.
    When I had my two youngest I would take them out on walks whenever I got the chance to get out. Maybe set aside some time on your days off to start something like that. It's small, but it's a good start. :)

walks are great for you AND baby. And if it's raining or too hot-- find a mall or a large department store like walmart to do laps in!
    I gained 50 TTC my daughter due to meds and general lack of exercise and not following a healthy diet- then gained 42 during pregnancy- i was 199.6 day i had my daughter @ 5'1"! totally awful for my health and it showed in my pregnancy-- preeclampsia and gestational diabetes!
    By going on walks and breastfeeding I lost 32 pounds. I gained again over the winter due to stress eating- but I a back at it. Try to remember why you are doing it-- and find ways to incorporate exercise into your daily life. Go on walks, do squats and such holding baby-- they usually think its fun and silly!

Good luck to you- and if you need support you can feel free to add me!

p.s.- your daughter is GORGEOUS!
  • cubscoutt
    cubscoutt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so very much! I'm working hard at it.