IBS - help needed

Options

Replies

• annebaby1431
    annebaby1431 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed w/ IBS a few years ago. I take a daily probiotic recommended by my family doctor and GI doctor. I have also been doing some research and people who have IBS are gluten sensitive but not allergic. I did try cutting out gluten for a couple weeks and felt better, and of course I reverted back cause I thought it was all in my head but it didn't last long I had to cut out 95% of gluten. My IBS is much better now.
  • CDMSlayer
    CDMSlayer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello, feel free to add me. I'm on 2nd week of fodmap elimination 8 weeks. & wheat, gluten, lactose free.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed w/ IBS a few years ago. I take a daily probiotic recommended by my family doctor and GI doctor. I have also been doing some research and people who have IBS are gluten sensitive but not allergic. I did try cutting out gluten for a couple weeks and felt better, and of course I reverted back cause I thought it was all in my head but it didn't last long I had to cut out 95% of gluten. My IBS is much better now.

I've had relatively minor IBS for years. About 3 months ago I tried eliminating gluten as an experiment to solve some of my own stomach issues, but I did the same thing you did! I was symptom free for a couple of weeks, then got to thinking "naw, this can't be it, I've got to be a crazy hypochondriac", went back to it and had an even worse reaction.
    Now I am off wheat (and gluten, just for good measure) for a month while I deal with what my doctor guesses is acute gastritis. What fun it is...
    Good luck to all, and congrats to those who have cracked the code!
  • fitchick256
    fitchick256 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Cladf wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply... the list of generally safe foods is really helpful, thank you! I eat a LOT of bread at the moment (also not great for dieting as it makes me crash and get hungrier!) so I'll maybe try to limit that and processed foods for a while and just keep an eye on how my symptoms are feeling.

Although I've had the symptoms of IBS for a while, this weekend was the first time I had the horrendous cramps and pain alongside it, so I'm pretty keen to figure out what brought on that flare-up.

Stress relieving meditation sounds like a good idea...I do get anxiety, and it certainly affects my symptoms so I'll definitely give that a try.

Might stick to white meats / fish / venison and veg for a while if I can, and stay off the alcohol to see if that relieves it any.

For me gluten was the primary trigger for symptoms. And I can't have alcohol at all.

Good luck!
  • fitchick256
    fitchick256 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread. I'm currently going through this right now and my doctor has me working with a nutritionist to help find my triggers. I have been diagnosed for years. Occasionally, my monthly hormones would cause havoc to my body and no one knew why. They would just say take aleve or midol. I now know that Sara Lee whole wheat bread and dairy are just a few of my triggers. Also, I don't like taking prescription meds so I asked people at my local whole foods what did they recommend. I was given a probotic. HTH

Raw sauerkraut also has pro-biotics. I eat a few tablespoons every day.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    for me i eliminated dairy ( i still have small amounts just not a lot at one time) greasy fried foods, rich desserts (mostly it was the dairy) and breads.

i eat lots of veggies and oatbran, flax etc and have never been more regular since upping my fiber intake. unfortunatly IBS is not a one size fits all solution and it will need some trial and error
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    My IBS gets worse from stress, so please try anything to get in under control (as im sitting here dying from pain, during finals week!!!). Another trigger for me was beer. I had two beers with a friend one night, woke up in the night with horrible pain, fainted from the pain and broke my nose!! So, I would stay away from alcohol, sugar, caffeine, and anything high fat. I had my gallbladder removed which brought on my IBS and indigestion. I'll have a week of diarrhea and a week of constipation and pain!
  • vanillawarfare
    vanillawarfare Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been through this too. I used to try endlessly to identify "trigger foods" only to discover that sometimes fatty food triggers me and sometimes high sodium /processed foods trigger me, sometimes high sugar, sometimes just cold water, etc, etc. For me, it's really hard for me to exclude a food totally based on "sometimes" because my IBS is fickle and I've gone months feeling normal and have also gone years where I forget what normal feels like. Amazingly, I've found something that works for me and has reduced my symptoms by about 70%. I take 3 tablespoons of Metamucil (or some other Psyllum fiber powder) in water every day. I also take a probiotic with Bifidobacterium longum in it. Since I've taken both from the very beginning, I don't know if it's the probiotic, the metamucil or if both are needed to help me out. I know the scientific evidence on probiotics is messy right now, but at least one study has shown that psyllum husk affects peristalsis (sorry too lazy to look it up). I've found that IBS is a difficult condition to have because it's the "dumping ground" of GI conditions that aren't diagnosed as something else. I think it's pretty well accepted that there are multiple different things that can cause IBS. In my case, I researched the causes and chose to target disrupted gut flora and brain-gut link controlling peristalsis as the underlying things causing my pain. For me, this worked, but IBS is a complicated beast. Good luck to you!
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'll be perfectly honest - I get really, really frustrated by the IBS diagnosis. I have celiac disease and another disorder, both of which are quickly and happily misdiagnosed as IBS by untold numbers of doctors. For my disorder, I think at least 1/3 of those I know with it were first diagnosed with IBS.

I agree with vanilla warfare - it's a dumping ground for all the conditions that aren't properly diagnosed. Personally, I believe that eventually there will be no IBS, because the medical community will have figured out all the various conditions that were ACTUALLY the cause for the symptoms. And maybe then, people with get more help.

Something I was surprised to find out: IBS was originally supposed to be a diagnosis of exclusion. Or in other words, you were tested for OTHER possible reasons for the symptoms, and if they didn't have any conclusions, then you were given a diagnosis of IBS. It really was the dumping ground, the diagnosis of: we don't know what you have, but this diagnosis confirms that you DO have something physical going on, even if we don't know the cause.

This has changed so that doctors now generally assume that if you have the symptoms, you have 'IBS.' There is no known cause, it's essentially a list of symptoms, but now that list of symptoms has become a diagnosis, no matter how many other diseases or disorders those symptoms ALSO match.

The only problem is that there is no cure for IBS, but there are cures or treatments for many of the other conditions that a patient could have with the same symptoms. And doctors giving a diagnosis for IBS so quickly means that patients are unlikely to be properly diagnosed if they happen to HAVE any of these other conditions.

Which can be celiac disease (thankfully you're being tested - many people aren't and are given an IBS diagnosis anyway), Crohn's, parasites, enzyme deficiencies, gall bladder problems, food intolerances, food allergies, mast cell activation disorders, histamine intolerance, fructose malabsoption, SIBO, poor gut bacteria - the list just goes on and on.

And many of the things listed as 'common' for IBS are actually 'common' for some of these other conditions that are rarely tested for. Most are affected by dietary changes, for example.

Another example, Mast cell activation disorders (http://www.wjgnet.com/2218-6204/pdf/v3/i1/1.pdf - which are thought to be 'rare' but now experts believe are more 'rarely diagnosed' and may be much more common than celiac disease) and histamine intolerance cause problems due to too much histamine in the body. Histamine is released whenever we feel stressed - so stress frequently causes gut symptoms in people with MCAD and histamine intolerance.

If a person with IBS only has symptoms when they eat a few different foods? It's more likely they have a mild allergy or food intolerance to the food, rather than IBS. However, doctors are typically taught in medical school that food is rarely the cause for physical ailments (or at least, they are according to a number of doctors who I've spoken to about this), so they rarely will look for a food intolerance, or even an allergy unless you have hives and anaphylaxis. So in their opinion, you must have IBS, not a problem with a few foods, or with food dyes, etc...

If the IBS waxes and wanes in cycles, it can be a parasite, and the waxing and waning goes along with the parasite's life cycle. But there are numerous tests to look for parasites, so...IBS.

I always assume someone with IBS has symptoms, and I know they can be debilitating. I'm glad that the doctors at least came up with something to let OTHER doctors know that a patient's experience was real (since, it seems, they often don't simply trust the patient to tell them that yes, they feel pain and it's real). But I just get very angry on all our behalf over what feels like being rushed through to a diagnosis without enough care.

The doctors tried to do this to my daughter, and continued to say she had IBS made worse by anxiety, but we kept pushing for other testing, with the doctors giving us the stink eye and commenting on unnecessary testing...until she turned out to have celiac disease AND that rare mast cell activation disorder. Then they kind of shut up.

I have met so many people whose doctors slapped the IBS label on them and then essentially left them to deal with it on their own. And hundreds - literally hundreds, because I talk far too much, LOL - who eventually found out that it was something else. With the variety of different strategies that work for folks with the IBS diagnosis, I honestly assume the reason they don't all work is, in large part, because they have different conditions driving the symptoms, too, just like others I've met to eventually found the answer.

So I guess, Cladf? I would honestly think hard about whether to let the doctors just stop with IBS, or to explore further. You deserve more of their time, honestly. Lots of folks here have some ideas that seem good to help look at, really.

And freaking hugs - because it is SO hard to deal with gut pain so frequently. So sympathy, and I hope that you find a way to help your symptoms improve.

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    To the person above posting about gluten...are you sure it's gluten and not wheat? (see more info on fodmap)
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    And to Shaumom. Your post rocks. Very well-put!
  • comeongethealthyro
    comeongethealthyro Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    probiotic every morning! helps me a ton
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I had severe IBS even did studies with investigational drugs not fda approved, broke ribs the cramps were so bad but to no avail and agree stress is a huge factor. Mine started after my divorse which gave me PTSD ya it was that bad never knew another human could be so reckless and evil. Honestly I had to quit drinking alcohol, went on a high protein diet, train like an athlete and have a 5 min only rule around my X-wife. Now in my opinion I have no IBS and thank god everyday as its the worst thing a human can go through!! I so feel for all of you I wish I could help believe me I know the low selfesteam moments all to well but it keeps me on my new life style everyday!!
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I had a diagnosis of IBS for years. Gastroenterologist was no help telling me basically that I was neurotic and to eat large doses of wheat bran. Having to hunt for a bathroom every 15mins with very little notice is, in my opinion, enough to make anyone neurotic! After suffering for years (I remember having to dash to the bathroom during meals as young as 6), I found eliminating non veggie carbs, i.e. wheat products, totally relieved my symptoms. I had a long discussion about all this with my new g.p. and she is of the opinion that I am probably celiac and wants me to be tested but to do that I need to begin eating products with gluten in again :(. So the upshot is, that I will stay on the gluten free diet and feeling well for the first time in years and medication free. The diagnosis doesn't matter to me now as long as I feel well. It is ridiculous to me that so many of us have to put up with little help and often hostility from the medical profession and have to figure things out for ourselves.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I struggled for 15 years with what I thought was IBS. Constant diarrhea. I had to be near a bathroom at all times. Sometimes I would just live in the bathroom. I did every elimination diet on earth. Then, I got a kidney stone. My doctor said no more calcium pills. No more cheese. (I miss the cheese.) But I kept taking the magnesium that helps calcium into your bones. One day I ran out of magnesium. Guess what happened next? I got better.

My heart breaks for people with IBS. I know that doctors have no idea what causes your problems, but hopefully you can find something that will help you.
  • Cladf
    Cladf Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed by all the replies - thank you everyone...they're all really informative.

I did have the thought that IBS was meant to be an elimination diagnosis - although I've had recent blood tests so I guess the doctor was happy enough with my general results (thyroid function etc all checked) - had my celiac blood test yesterday so just gotta wait a month or so for that and we shall see what comes up.

The food intolerances/allergy point is a good one. Wondering whether it might be pertinent just to take myself off for an allergy test - see if that comes up with some big hitters then it might hint at where to start if I was to eliminate anything from my diet.

Right now, I guess I'm just mainly going to be looking closely at what I'm eating and how it effects me... no longer in pain (thankfully), just some lower back pain because I've swung from D to C (sad face) but to be fair, as long as the horrendous cramp is gone I'm feeling kind of ok.

Really appreciate all the posts here - IBS really sucks but it's good to have so many supportive people around
  • Speckle38
    Speckle38 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have 2 friends who have been on low FODMAPS diets for their IBS.The first had extensive testing to rule out Crohns, coeliac and ulcerative colitis first, and I think this is important before tackling diet. She did low FODMAPS under the guidance of a dietician, followed the diet for 8 weeks or more, then reintroduced individual foods each week as challenges (same amount, 3 days running to see if there was a reaction). She lost weight during the elimination phase, but ultimately has been able to identify that wheat is a major trigger for her (not gluten, as above poster has also indicated), and garlic and onion are also not ideal for her. The other just had the low FODMAPS suggested by her GP, but has struggled to stay on it for more than a week. I do think it's worth investigating if you have IBS, but I would also seek out a qualified dietician to assist.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Does adequate daily fiber (25-30g+ per day) and protein (0.60-0.82g per 1 lb. bodyweight) help with this issue? I was told by someone that IBS is like having diarrhea and constipation at the same time. Seems like an adequate fiber/protein ratio would alleviate the symptoms.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Cut out processed/ deep fried anything. HUGE difference for me. And lost 10 lbs in five weeks. Of course, weight loss slowed way down after those first 10 lbs. but felt so much better....
    Good luck !
  • kmarc33
    kmarc33 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've had IBS for about 35 years, although my Dr didn't really name it until about 20 years ago. What really helped me was eliminating trigger foods and adding *soluable* fiber and probiotics. I can't recommend the information, books and products in the store at helpforibs.com strongly enough. I've been using the Acacia fiber from the store for well over a decade now, and am down to 1-2 episodes a month (previously 1-2 a week). Heather's 10 commandments are a game changer. I actually bought a copy of the book for both my regular Dr and my GI Dr, and they both now recommend them to other patients.

Start here: helpforibs.com/diet/10_commandments.asp