Milk in tea?

Options
snowy_sk
snowy_sk Posts: 117 Member
just wondered if you all log milk in tea? I'm guessing yes, so wondered how much roughly you allow for per cup? Thanks!

Replies

• CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Depends how much you add and what milk it is!
    Easiest thing is to zero your empty cup, add your usual amount of milk and work out the calories from there. 1ml of mils is near enough 1g.
    Personally, I don't, I drink a couple of cups a day with a dash of almond milk which totals around 10 calories so I don't bother logging those.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't log my tea, but I really should. Just zero your scale when you're adding the milk and use the 1ml=1g measurement that @CM_73 mentioned.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I log it, following this method. Doesn't take a second.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I was having 600ml of milk in my cups of tea everyday. 6 cup o teas with 100ml of milk in each. I recently halved it to 50ml per cup.
    Sorry, my point is YES log the milk :smiley:
  • natashajf
    natashajf Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    weigh it and log it, count everything it all adds up.
  • theportkey
    theportkey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have.calculated 100 calories in my tea throughout the day. Best log it :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Weight it and log it.... I think there is an echo here in this thread... :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    yes of course! my several cups of tea/coffee during the day add up to 100 cals when I add milk.
  • pcrucifer
    pcrucifer Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Of it something you do the same every day, weigh it and log it for a couple days. After that, just log it. I am not as obsessive about weighing and logging exactly, and I have found through time that I need to stay about 10% under the MFP calorie goal to hit the corresponding weight loss. So, assuming MFP food and exercise cals are correct, I am off by about 10% when I am not obsessively weighing and measuring everything.
  • chloeelizabethm
    Options
    I was having 600ml of milk in my cups of tea everyday. 6 cup o teas with 100ml of milk in each. I recently halved it to 50ml per cup.

That is an impressive amount of milk! When I have logged mine in the past it was only about 15ml/g!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Definitely weigh it and log it. Little things like sauces, milk, toppings and syrups add up quickly! Without logging those things, my dairy would be about 350 cals off for the day.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Milk contains calories, so log it! Little things add up, just like everyone else here is saying!
    Which reminds me, I read somewhere that adding milk to tea makes your body unable to absorb the healthy antioxidants in tea o.o? I want to try milk in my tea so badly, it sounds so good, but I don't want to defeat the purpose of the tea itself! Does anyone know if this applies to soymilk as well, or is it just the calcium that does this from any product?
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I take my tea plain, but I do log the whole milk that goes into my coffee. Since it's a liquid I just use a measuring tablespoon, not the scale. Two tablespoons = 1 fluid oz, which is what I use per cup.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

That is an impressive amount of milk! When I have logged mine in the past it was only about 15ml/g!

Does that small amount even make a difference to taste?
    Back when I didn't have watch my weight I was having that higher amount of milk plus 3tsp of sugar in each cup, so probs around 18-30tsp sugar a day just from the added sugar in my tea :open_mouth: Yikes I've never thought about it til now!!

• alicaramik2
    alicaramik2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just add an extra 4 oz. of milk to my diary at the end of the day. I use skim milk which is about 10 calories per ounce. Even if I'm off by an ounce or two, it won't make that much difference.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I log the milk in my coffee. I don't weigh or measure it, though. I log 1 cup of milk for the 3 cups of coffee i have every morning. Close enough for me.
  • chloeelizabethm
    Options
    Does that small amount even make a difference to taste?
    Back when I didn't have watch my weight I was having that higher amount of milk plus 3tsp of sugar in each cup, so probs around 18-30tsp sugar a day just from the added sugar in my tea :open_mouth: Yikes I've never thought about it til now!!

I guess it does to me, I sometimes drink it black so when I have milk I'm not too bothered by how much is in there. Wow you must've been on a high all day with that sugar - hard to cut it out?
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    My mom drinks her tea with just a splash of milk -yuck. I use 30 mls per big cup of tea and that's not that much compared to what I would normally put in.
  • InvaderGashloog
    InvaderGashloog Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Well, I only use it for black tea, I just use a little bit and just say it's 1/4 of a cup. Close enough.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If its significant like in Christines example then log it as that much milk. Even if its a small amount over the day i.e 100ml then you should still log it for accuracy, but at some stage I grow a bit bored of logging every tiny little thing and it still works out fine for me. If you are on a tight calorie allowance then you should.