Why do anti-depressants cause weight gain????

Options
Gah I just have to vent I'm soooo frustrated! I'm working my *kitten* off and can't loose any more! I only want to loose 10-20 more pounds but I haven't lost anything in two months! Just wondering if any one else is struggling and what do you do about it? I just want to cry =(

Replies

• cafeteriagirl
    cafeteriagirl Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    yes i am having trouble too. i have lost 30 lbs. and i am on celexa. i hope you can have some success, dont give up. i only lost 8 since i started counting my calories and joining mfp. i am trying to walk more briskly around our town i make sure i go up lots of hills. keep your chin up it will happen to us both and we can cheer each other on when it does:)
  • goldenbutterfly
    Options
    me 2 id like to know this answer too, i have seen on reseaching this that they slow done you motablism....
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I'm sorry to hear that your antidepressant is sabotaging your dieting :( Here's why (back to hs biology haha): Every cell in your body has protein receptors on their surface. These "receptors" can recieve signals from neurons in the form of neural receptors which tells the cell to do things. So its as if I write a message to you on a piece of paper, crumple it up, and throw it into your hands. I would be a neuron cell, the paper is the neurotransmitter, and your hands are the receptors.

There are hundreds of different types of receptors on each cell. What antidepressants do is affect some of these receptors, causing your cells to produce proteins that make you feel better (eg. release endorphins for example).

Did a bit of snooping on ur profile, your taking Mirtazapine right? :) It is an antagonist at the 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptors, so it stimulates appetite, which means it makes you eat more. As a double whammy, it's a STRONG antagonist at your H1 receptor (which is great if you've got allergies haha), which causes weight gain due to interaction with normal NT proteins that would be there <-- there's a study on this if you're curious (http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v28/n3/full/1300027a.html), but it's a lot of pharm to wade thru haha. Good luck girl.
  • Ash10Dent
    Ash10Dent Posts: 75
    Options
    I have the opposite problem and I couldn't be happier. I guess it just depends on your body but I'm on zoloft and I've lost over 10 lbs since being put on it. Maybe talk to your doctor about switching?
  • mamato3inca
    mamato3inca Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My Dr told me it's because they make you crave things, especially carbs.
  • Ash10Dent
    Ash10Dent Posts: 75
    Options
    Yeah I think it's all pretty much in your head. Yes, it may make you crave things but you need to resist the urge! lol. It's hard but if you want to lose weight you have to do it. Just like when it's that time of month and you're craving that chocolate...don't give in!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I also take Celexa and have had no adverse weight issues on it at all (was on zoloft previously and also had no weight effects either, just changed b/c there was no generic avail for Zoloft and could no longer afford it).
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I take fluoxetine and as long as I watch the calories and exercise I've had no problems.
    I used to blame them for not losing but I think I just ate too much!
    I'm not saying you are!!
    Maybe speak to doc as has been suggested and change?
    Good Luck
    A
  • spatticus
    spatticus Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't get any cravings at all, it hasn't increased my appetite it just keeps the weight on. Thinking about trying Zoloft or celexa as those two seem to affect weight the least. I've tried effexor, wellbutrin, lexapro and now remeron. First three just didn't help me emotionally. Remeron works great for me but im loosing at a snails pace compared to not being on meds last year and loosing 40 pounds in about 3.5 months. Thanks for your input. Just seems when I do the research almost any antidepressant can cause weight gain.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Good lcuk with it
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    No dont agree with this because when I stopped taking my prozac I lost over100lbs and didnt change my eating. I was basically a fat anorexic but nobody knew because of my weight! they mess with your metabolism.
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Not all do it (make you gain weight)but I take wellbuterin now and it doesnt really help with the depression by itself either. Have you talked with your doctor about it? Good luck I know how frustrating it is...not sure what is worse being depressed and anorexic or happy and weighing more..............:grumble: lol
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are going through. I am on lexapro and I can't seem to loose weight. I don't have cravings or anything like that it has just made my metabolism almost nonexistent. Best of luck to to you.
  • redhead91
    redhead91 Posts: 251
    Options
    To you guys who are saying it's all in her head that's really mean! Medications effect everybody differently and it's been scientifically proven that they most definitely CAN effect your metabolism. That aside, doesn't it suck?! The worst part is depression makes you gain weight and the medication to help it inhibits weight loss. What I would suggest is talking to a doctor or trying a metabolism booster (NOT a weight loss medication). My doctor recommended trying green tea supplements or acai berry. I know it's not FDA proven to boost metabolism but many people, my doctor and I included, believe that it truly can work. Good luck and I hope I've helped a little bit. I'm by no means an expert, but I do my best :)
  • goldenbutterfly
    Options
    when i stoped taking my citalphram, i had more energy also lost weight easpically in my face wich it seems to get puffy from them.
  • krissybug72
    krissybug72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think you should check into different ones. I think Wellbutrin is suppose to be weight neutral or even cause weight loss. Medications effect everyone differently it has to do with body chemistry-good luck.
  • bcklee
    bcklee Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too and the best success I have had is when I watched my carbs. If I keep them around 100 I can lose weight.
    I don't like the idea of being in ketosis as I am not really sure what it does to kidneys etc so around 100 a day works for me.
    It is not "all in your head" These types of meds do cause weight gain and make it harder to get it off.
    Hang in there.
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I have been on Celexa for 3 years now and have really struggled. I've toned up a lot, and the meds actually gave me the motivation to exercise daily, but I haven't been able to lose weight. I had a girlfriend who would always tell me it was all in my head and I was making excuses - then she started prozac and has balllooned...she's eating her words. It is hard, depression is hard.... my life has changed 100% since starting meds, I didn't know life could be so pleasant...but then I see a picture of what I look like and UGH!
  • rngreen
    rngreen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    To you guys who are saying it's all in her head that's really mean! Medications effect everybody differently and it's been scientifically proven that they most definitely CAN effect your metabolism. That aside, doesn't it suck?! The worst part is depression makes you gain weight and the medication to help it inhibits weight loss. What I would suggest is talking to a doctor or trying a metabolism booster (NOT a weight loss medication). My doctor recommended trying green tea supplements or acai berry. I know it's not FDA proven to boost metabolism but many people, my doctor and I included, believe that it truly can work. Good luck and I hope I've helped a little bit. I'm by no means an expert, but I do my best :)

I agree wholeheartedly. Antidepressants have definitely been proven to slow down a person's metabolism. And telling a person that is taking a medication for depression that it is "all in their head" is not cool!! Everyone who thinks that should be ashamed of themselves!

That being said, I agree that you should talk to your doctor. They may be able to change your medication to another form that does not promote weight gain. Seroquel is one that many people will take because it does not have that particular side effect.

Good luck to you! You are doing great, and once you get what is right for you figured out (with your physician), you will be back on track. Hugs!!