CoachJen71
CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
or full carbs?

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Just calories for me I think the whole NET carbs thing boosts people calorie intake and the results are they don't lose weight. So to anaswe your question full carbs -my 2cents
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Full carbs.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I am T2 diabetic so I have to count total carbs. Net carbs is kind of useless when you still have to count all of the calories and you are already tracking fiber separately.

To the first part, I am eating 35% protein 35% carbs, and 30% fat. It is a balance that is working for me in that I am losing weight, feeling good, have energy for my workouts, my a1c is in the normal range, and I rarely feel hungry.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic so it doesn't matter to me, all I care about is hitting my protein and fat goals anyway.
  • ellersrb
    ellersrb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do net carbs - in the UK all the measurements are net carbs on the nutrition labels so makes sense
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm not diabetic so it doesn't matter to me, all I care about is hitting my protein and fat goals anyway.
    ellersrb wrote: »
    I do net carbs - in the UK all the measurements are net carbs on the nutrition labels so makes sense

Do you not care about the calories? (although I guess if you make sure the calories are correct, the exact numbers don't matter... Unless you're caring about hitting specific macros)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I go by net carbs, being that I eat keto and that's what you count. It doesn't make me overeat like some people on here are claiming.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Total carbs. But if I've had 70g of fiber in the day, I don't mind if my total carbs are higher than usual.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1 diabetic. I noticed that I do not have a big BG response to fiber and sugar alcohols (and am more prone to hypoglycemia if I take insulin for them), so I have to base all my insulin dosages off net carbs. Personally, my BG is the most stable when I try to keep my day's carbs to under 150g net (It's typically around 180-185 with 30-35g fiber).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Total, but I don't really worry about hitting a specific carb number anyway.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I go by net carbs, being that I eat keto and that's what you count. It doesn't make me overeat like some people on here are claiming.

I think that happens when people only count their macros and use net carbs. When you also count calories, you adjust for that. 100 g of net carbs and 150 g of total carbs is a difference of 200 calories.

• earlnabby
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    I'm a type 1 diabetic. I noticed that I do not have a big BG response to fiber and sugar alcohols (and am more prone to hypoglycemia if I take insulin for them), so I have to base all my insulin dosages off net carbs. Personally, my BG is the most stable when I try to keep my day's carbs to under 150g net (It's typically around 180-185 with 30-35g fiber).

I am always interested in the differences between how a T1 and a T2 have to eat to manage their disease. As a T2 managed by diet and exercise only, I eat different than those who use insulin because I have to work with the insulin my body produces. It is especially interesting because my daily numbers are almost the same as yours: I average around 170 total carbs with 35-40 g of fiber. We just got to those "best for us" numbers a different way.

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Lots of food for thought here. :)