How to avoid temptation/have strong will power

Options
I am currently 212 pounds, my mother sent me to the local convenience store to buy her bread and as most of you know convenience stores have candy bars and Doritos and such (chips for those of you who don't know) I literally didn't know what to do I was crying in the middle of the store lol haha anyways I ended up getting the chips :( (Munchies) *my weakness* although I kept reminding myself I don't need the extra calories but :( my question is how do you have such strong will power when you're surrounded by goodies ?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Not going to sugar coat .. That candy, chips and other munchies do not just hop into your shopping basket... It is called self discipline to to keep that stuff right where it is.. on the shelf...

Once it clicks in your mind that you have specific goals to adhere to, you will get it...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    as @gia07 says, self discipline! it takes time to get your head into gear and refraining from old habits, but its totally doable. Set yourself a small goal, stock up on healthy snacks so if its hunger thats your problem then you have good choices available.

Another tip is to drink more water, sometimes we only think we're hungry when in fact we're dehydrated.

I also keep focused on how well I've done and how slim I now am - I don't want to get fat again, there simply is nothing better than being slim and fit :smile:
  • fliesdonotbelong
    fliesdonotbelong Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Throw them away. I don't always have the strongest will power, so a quarter of the way through my chocolate frosting that I was eating from the container I threw it away. Lesson learned, I do not have the self control to keep crap in my house. The guilt I felt from eating it will keep me from buying it again. Lol, I was only going to have a little taste.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I would take a specific list shopping with your planned food nothing else (and your mom's food) and stick to it 100%. After a while it will become easier to stick too and second nature, it also takes out the stress of looking at the food and getting worked up.
    You could also try just taking the right money?
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Fitness guru Dick Talens says will power is a finite resource. Self discipline definitely has a role to play, but Talens emphasizes setting up a positive feedback loop. Say you pick different snacks that don't trigger you. They make you feel better about yourself, they satisfy you, and your body feels good after you eat them. That's a positive feedback loop. You do a behavior that has positive effects and you keep building on that. Discipline will help you form a habit, and with practice you'll be able to keep reinforcing good things. However, I also want to put out there that chips aren't inherently bad and can be worked into your daily meal plan. But if a food is triggering and you can't stop eating it, then it's worthwhile to try something different. But sometimes labeling food as bad and off-limits makes you more obsessed with it. So it's a tricky balance.

I like the idea of another commenter about going shopping with a specific list and not deviating from it. Like kickassbarbie (great name..) says, it will become easier to stick to over time.

Good luck! Don't despair, you can do it!
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Once in awhile, I will end up buying that type of "food." Usually, I'll eat some, then feel guilty for putting garbage into my body, throw out the rest, and then feel angry at myself for buying it and wasting the money in the first place. So, when I'm at the store, I try to remember that series of events, to help me turn away from it all.
  • BridgetMiko
    BridgetMiko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I find that when I went to add extra stuff to my cart (or my mouth) it's helpful to pause and ask myself, "What's more important really? These chips or my goals?" Also, you'll feel really proud of yourself if you keep your will power and like 30 minutes later your chip craving will likely be gone anyways.
  • Butterfly205
    Butterfly205 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Omg I feel you that's so something I've done so many times. It's so hard to become disciplined when you've indulged for so long. At the moment I'm trying giving myself little goals, for example "the next time I can eat cake is my birthday", "Monday is my wheat meal". Also, planning snacks is a great way to snacking healthily snack. Popcorn is a great alternative to crisps, or organic peanut butter and celery or blueberries. Good luck
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Generally, the immediate satisfaction we get from indulging in junk food is never as strong as the guilt we feel 10 minutes after we eat it. Ask yourself how long and hard you have to exercise to burn off the calories you just consumed. Is it worth it?
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    RULE #1 - Try not to go shopping hungry.
    I find if I am full on good healthy food the junk at the checkout is not as tempting.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You can start small. Instead of buying the big bag of chips buy the small bag.
  • basia_a
    basia_a Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am currently 212 pounds, my mother sent me to the local convenience store to buy her bread and as most of you know convenience stores have candy bars and Doritos and such (chips for those of you who don't know) I literally didn't know what to do I was crying in the middle of the store lol haha anyways I ended up getting the chips :( (Munchies) *my weakness* although I kept reminding myself I don't need the extra calories but :( my question is how do you have such strong will power when you're surrounded by goodies ?

Say out loud "I don't eat ________ any more." Believe it or not after a while your brain will accept that idea and your desire for that item will diminish. That is how I gave up soda, Completely!

Start with your strongest temptation and add on after you feel in control with walking past it. Also, be creative and find a healthy alternative... That way you won't feel completely deprived.

• Chr1s1888
    Chr1s1888 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've found recently that substituting my favourite bad foods for tasty treats like Peanut butter have helped a lot. Couple of slices of toast or a pot of Greek yoghurt keeps my hunger at bay