Fodmap

Options
I assume this is the rigt place.
Looking for people who are also on the FODMAP diet. I recently started and I'm finding it hard.
Feel free to add me and talk to me :)

Replies

• mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I don't think this will be the best place to talk about the FODMAP diet... haha
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I assume this is the rigt place.
    Looking for people who are also on the FODMAP diet. I recently started and I'm finding it hard.
    Feel free to add me and talk to me :)

I assume you are on the FODMAP diet because you have IBD or IBS. It shouldn't be too difficult to stick to it, considering that if you eat things are on the banned list, you are going to suffer some pretty painful consequences. I started on the FODMAP list a couple of years ago and have had to take more foods off the list since then. I can answer questions if you have any.
  • mizzlarabee
    Options
    Well, seeing as no flames have been thrown...

What are you finding hard about it? Have you immediately eliminated everything on the list?
  • christianneworksout
    christianneworksout Posts: 15 Member
    Options

What are you finding hard about it? Have you immediately eliminated everything on the list?

I posted it here coz it said food and nutrition!
    My dietician told me for the next 8 weeks I have to cut out everything and then reintroduce them one at a time
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

My dietician told me for the next 8 weeks I have to cut out everything and then reintroduce them one at a time

As I said before, are you suffering from IBD or IBS? And what are you finding hard about it?
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for more friends on fodmap diets. I found the first few days, even up to ten days hard until I had a few meal ideas and snack ideas planned. Now, I feel more confident in trying new dishes (fodmap friendly). I'm on week 5 or so, and the difficulty for me is planning ahead. No more quick stops for something at a restaurant, etc. I mean I could try but I feel I won't be able to fully know what's in my food during my elimination period (6-8 weeks). I also have to have relatively lower fat due to complications after having my gallbladder out (not sure if directly related). More like dumping syndrome if larger quantities of fat are in my food at once.
  • mizzlarabee
    edited May 2015
    Options

Yeah, that's the best way to do any elimination diet. Slow reintroduction to see how you react :)

So what are you finding hard about it? Just missing foods that you're used to? In need of recipes?

A really great cookbook that I like is Practical Paleo, which has a whole section on FODMAP-friendly recipes and food options.
  • christianneworksout
    christianneworksout Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's the best way to do any elimination diet. Slow reintroduction to see how you react :)

So what are you finding hard about it? Just missing foods that you're used to? In need of recipes?

A really great cookbook that I like is Practical Paleo, which has a whole section on FODMAP-friendly recipes and food options.

It's very restrictive so yeah missing a lot of foods, especially things like chocolate or broccoli.
    Been scouting the Internet for reciepes
  • mizzlarabee
    Options
    It's very restrictive so yeah missing a lot of foods, especially things like chocolate or broccoli.
    Been scouting the Internet for reciepes

I hear you -- any change can be hard, especially when it's a lot of restriction at once. Try finding recipes you like to replace what you are missing -- chocolate is a tough one though but it does get easier with time.

• Nakeshia88
    Nakeshia88 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just started my second round of doing a low FODMAP diet (I did the first one about 6 years ago) - not being as strict this time around as I already know my worst triggers, but happy to swap thoughts/advice. Feel free to add me as a friend :-)
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    You can have dark chocolate. Just watch the ingredients! :)
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I fodmap because of IBS but only when i'm in an "episode" when i'm feeling healthy i eat small portions of some of the foods it eliminates .. i hope you will find a balance that works for you...