Weight loss has stopped/plateaud

Options
Hi
I have been on my weight loss journey for just under two years. I am 39, female and currently weight 203lbs. At my heaviest I was 308lbs. Most of my weight loss was through eating healthy and doing 6/7 hours of exercise classes. I've recently starting calorie counting using MFP. I am really struggling to lose the last few pounds that I need to lose to get to goal. My goal weight is 180lbs which would be a 'healthy' weight for my height 5ft 11. I've not lost any weight in the past 3 weeks. I'm stuck at 203lbs. I'm quite happy at the moment and I feel fit and healthy. But I'm still overweight! Not really sure what to do to get things moving again.

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Purchasing and using a food scale will do wonders.
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Recalculate your calorie goals & tighten up on your logging (weigh as much of your foods as possible) :)
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    PS congrats on your awesome success thus far!
  • Hoppo39
    Hoppo39 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do weigh all my food. And log everything. Very frustrating. Not sure if I should try eating less/more, doing more exercise or maybe I just need to keep at it!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Hoppo39 wrote: »
    I do weigh all my food. And log everything. Very frustrating. Not sure if I should try eating less/more, doing more exercise or maybe I just need to keep at it!

What are you doing exactly?

Have you adjusted your calories since you started logging? How many are you eating?
  • Hoppo39
    Options
    I've only recently started using MFP. Probably 3/4 weeks and it's sets to lose 2lb a week and I have it set at lightly active. It gives me 1380 calories a day. I do 6/7 hours of exercise a week. This consists of kettlebells, zumba, trampoline and a weight aerobics clas
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you eat 1500 calories or less, you should lose a pound a week.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Stalling for 2-3 weeks could be water weight. Don't panic, keep going and give it another 2-3 weeks.
  • Hoppo39
    Options
    I've no idea how many calories I burn during exercise but I log 400 per class. But don't generally eat my exercise cals.
  • galgenstrick
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You should be losing weight. So you're either eating more than you think, or are retaining some water.

Have you been measuring your progress any other ways besides the scale? It's nice to have a lot of things to look at. Body fat calipers, waist and chest measurements, take a picture of yourself in the mirror every month.

Also, you're doing a ton of cardio type exercise, so I wouldn't add more unless you particularly love it.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    This is so weird, because I am also 39, a female, 5'11", 203, with a goal of 180. I started at 281.

Anyway, if I am working out really consistently and pushing myself, my weight loss come to a standstill. However, my measurements will change. I would suggest taking measurements of your waist, chest, hips, even calves and forearms. Also, pictures! Take a picture today and compare it to a picture a month from now. There will be a huge difference in your appearance even if there isn't one on the scale.

You've come so far, so it seems weird to give you food advice. Sometimes when I come to a standstill, it's because I'm eating too much sugar and not enough protein. So maybe that's something to consider as well.
  • Hoppo39
    Options
    My body had definitely changed shape. And I've lost inches off my waist. Trousers I purchased a month ago are now too baggy. And I'm developing muscles on my arms and legs
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    gigglybeth wrote: »
    This is so weird, because I am also 39, a female, 5'11", 203, with a goal of 180. I started at 281.

Anyway, if I am working out really consistently and pushing myself, my weight loss come to a standstill. However, my measurements will change. I would suggest taking measurements of your waist, chest, hips, even calves and forearms. Also, pictures! Take a picture today and compare it to a picture a month from now. There will be a huge difference in your appearance even if there isn't one on the scale.

You've come so far, so it seems weird to give you food advice. Sometimes when I come to a standstill, it's because I'm eating too much sugar and not enough protein. So maybe that's something to consider as well.

That's just a coincidence
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It could also be that you are using your food scale incorrectly. Some people read the calorie information on the packages wrong. Some people don't recalibrate their scale before they weigh something. I wouldn't expect it to cause a problem unless you are really bad at it, but it is a possibility.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    My body had definitely changed shape. And I've lost inches off my waist. Trousers I purchased a month ago are now too baggy. And I'm developing muscles on my arms and legs

You mean seeing more muscle definition?

• gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options

Because you know my body better then I do? I'm sure the 77 pounds I lost, without your input, were also coincidence.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    gigglybeth wrote: »

Because you know my body better then I do? I'm sure the 77 pounds I lost, without your input, were also coincidence.

No, because eating less sugar doesn't cause weight loss. Eating more protein doesn't cause weight loss. Eating fewer calories than you burn does cause weight loss, and is the only factor that causes weight loss.
  • Hoppo39
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

You mean seeing more muscle definition?

Yes I suppose that's what I mean. My arms were flabby and now that are beautifully tones and hard
  • Hoppo39
    Options
    Toned!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    I've lost inches off my waist. Trousers I purchased a month ago are now too baggy

Then you are NOT at a plateau! Your measurements are changing! Positive things are happening!

(Congrats on losses so far, BTW, it's awesome!)

Is there any chance that you are now doing either more exercise or more intense exercise than you were doing before? Because it sounds like you might be, and your body will absolutely retain a crapload of water to help repair "abused" muscles.

Also you may want to consider that 2lbs a week may be innapropriate if you are close to goal and doing a lot of exercise that you are not sure you are measuring and eating back correctly.

With a TDEE well north of 2500 (between 2600 and 3300), why not try eating at between 2000 and 2500 depending on how hungry and active you are that day and see how things go?

At the very least that will help you fuel your workouts a bit... :wink: )