Looking for Nutrisystem buddies!

Options
redoself
redoself Posts: 12 Member
Hi looking for friends that are in Nutrisystem to share our journey!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    hmm really? why pay for something you can do for free here.

There is no need to go buy special meals etc just eat regular food and log calories here and stay in a reasonable deficit and you will lose weight.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    The most vocal posters on here seem to be adamantly opposed to any formalized eating plan. My recommendation would be to keep quiet about what you're eating, keep your diary private, and just use the message boards, food and exercise diary for your own purposes without letting them know you're not following their preferred way of eating.

I say, if Nutrisystem helps you with portion control and allows you to stick to a lower calorie diet while learning new habits, go for it.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    The most vocal posters on here seem to be adamantly opposed to any formalized eating plan. My recommendation would be to keep quiet about what you're eating, keep your diary private, and just use the message boards, food and exercise diary for your own purposes without letting them know you're not following their preferred way of eating.

I say, if Nutrisystem helps you with portion control and allows you to stick to a lower calorie diet while learning new habits, go for it.

we are opposed to save people headaches and money.

A food scale is maybe 20$ that helps with portion control. Logging accurately and consistently helps you lose weight, MFP is free.

Why pay out the wazzoo when you don't have too.

If the OP wants to do the nutrisystem have at but I was just letting her know there are other cheaper options out there.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Agree with SezxyStef.

Nutrisystem doesn't teach you anything, what happens when you go out to eat??...or invited to someone's house??.....Vacations??
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm sure Nutrisystem has some dining out guidelines and some plan to transition you to eating real food. I'm also certain the OP knows that NS is not the only weight loss option out there and is capable of making his/her own financial and eating choices.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I did Nutrisystem in the past and did lose a good bit of weight; however, I've now lost the same amount with CICO and MFP (in less time, actually). With CICO/MFP, I'm also learning to make better food choices for a sustainable lifestyle change. I was initially attracted to Nutrisystem because it felt easier to have someone "just tell me what to eat", but it wasn't a good long-term plan. Also, I got soooooooo sick of the weird manufactured pseudo-food. OP - I wish you the best of luck....but would also like to encourage you to consider trying CICO/MFP. It will save you money, allow you to eat better food, and give you a better chance at sustainable change. I realize this is unsolicited advice, but would love to help someone benefit from my misadventures :)
  • redoself
    redoself Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm sure Nutrisystem has some dining out guidelines and some plan to transition you to eating real food. I'm also certain the OP knows that NS is not the only weight loss option out there and is capable of making his/her own financial and eating choices.

Exactly this, some of us have tried the MFP way and have not succeeded. Trying something else doesn't hurt if it helps me with my portion control.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    redoself wrote: »

Exactly this, some of us have tried the MFP way and have not succeeded. Trying something else doesn't hurt if it helps me with my portion control.

It doesn't help with portion control, it's all done for you, so how does that teach you anything?? How is this sustainable for life??

If you didn't succeed on MFP you weren't doing it right. Did you use a food scale?? that's where majority of people make their biggest mistakes!! Get a food scale and weigh all solid foods and measure liquids only!!
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    It doesn't help with portion control, it's all done for you, so how does that teach you anything?? How is this sustainable for life??

If you didn't succeed on MFP you weren't doing it right. Did you use a food scale?? that's where majority of people make their biggest mistakes!! Get a food scale and weigh all solid foods and measure liquids only!!
    Everyone needs to find what works for them. MFP can be used by anyone to track their food and discuss their weight loss journey, no matter what road they use to get there.

Some people need more structure for the actual weight loss. Maintenance takes additional learning no matter what method is used to get to the weight goal.

Nutrisystem, Paleo, IIFYM, 21 Day Fix, etc., are all just as valid as each other if they actually work for you and your lifestyle.

I really enjoy and feel more in control when I weigh and log my food. Not everyone is like that.

I eat a lot of pre-packaged frozen food from the store because I don't like to cook or wash dishes. That's completely sustainable as a transition from Nutrisystem.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Have at then. But as mentioned if you didn't lose using MFP you were doing it wrong.

There are tonnes of options out there otherwise the "diet" industry wouldn't be a multi million dollar industry.

• LLduds
    Options
    I've done both Nutrisystem and Medifast. Just thinking about that food makes me feel sick to my stomach. More power to you, OP....but I thought that food was just miserably gross!!!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    OP, you can find some fellow refugees from the NutriSystem boards here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105493-nutrisystem-group-users
  • campjackson
    campjackson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello Sezxy Stef!
    I understand where you are coming from....to log and use foods that I can purchase locally.....but only after I learn to eat right!

It is more then just saving money for me. I have to gain the self discipline to have foods, I crave, in the house without me overindulging. So Nutri System is the only option for me right now.

And if you take advantage of the discounts and use the Costco gift cards, you simply can't eat for less anywhere else. I recently upgraded to the Uniquely Yours plan...which is as much frozen foods as you want to order...and with my discounts...and the Costco Gift Cards, my final cost for the Nutri System frozen food is just under $7 per day. Of course, that doesn't count the fruits and vegetables. But still...those extra items added in to the cost...my food bill comes to less then $9 per day. So, Nutri System works for me.

I started this journey at 301 lbs...today I weighed 228.7 lbs. I haven't been that low of weight for many, many years. And I owe it all to Nutri System and the counselors who help keep me on track. And I look forward to each and every meal now. The Nutri System frozen foods are wonderful..and quick...and easy...with minimal dish washing. (I am a man, you know)

I know that I can't stay on Nutri System for the rest of my life...but until I can get the weight off...and learn to eat healthy...Nutri System is the only option for me. Then, when the weight is off...I plan to carefully move to grocery store food...and track my eating via MFP just as you suggest.

And thanks for your input...I appreciate your point of view. I would love to be your friend on MFP! Roland
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    @campjackson that's great for you glad it has helped...but I've done the same thing for about the same price eating regular food and using a food scale. The difference is my food is fresh homemade and full of flavor and mostly local.

I too was really overweight for a long time too...20 years, and I tried all sorts of diets and plans to lose but every time I would gain the weight I lost back and then some as they don't teach you anything about nutrition or portion control or how to deal with cravings and understanding that there is no bad food or good food...and that I can eat a whole chocolate bar every night and not derail my weight loss efforts and still maintain nutrient balance for the exercise I do.

But again people have to learn on their own time...took me a long time to figure it out.

• LLduds
    Options
    I wish you all the success you deserve, @campjackson , but you've already learned that Nutrisystem isn't a good long term fix. You say in your profile that this is your 4th time on Nutrisystem because you keep gaining back the weight when you go off of it.
  • campjackson
    Options
    Yes...I have lost...then gained it back...so many times.

I started my weight loss journey back in the 80's with Nutri System when it was in a shopping mall. I weighed 180 lbs back then...and wanted to get back to my high school weight of 165. I achieved goal. And I must admit...the food back then was majorly "awful"! And I kept the weight off for a few years.

Then life happened...and I got out of control. Back to Nutri System again...this time I weighed around 200 lbs. Achieved my goal...and kept my weight off for a few years.

THEN...life continued to happen...and I ended up weighing 220 lbs. Back to Nutri System...and was able to obtain my goal weight for the third time. I kept it off for a number of years. I actually thought that I had figured out how to eat...and how to control my weight by daily exercise.

Then a number of major painful life experiences happened...house burned, bitter divorce, found mother's car accident (she had already traveled to heaven) among other things...and I went back to the emotional eating...with major munchies every evening from dinner time...till I went to bed. So stuffed...and miserable every single night.

One day, after not being able to button my britches without laying back on the bed to suck my tummy in, I got on the scales....301 lbs....UNBELIEVABLE! So, back to Nutri System. And for the last time! I am determined this go around! And the shelf stable food was much, much better then in the 80's. But, like most people, I got really, really tired of eating it...and started dreading meal time.

While on the Nutri System discussion board, I read about the new frozen food plan, called "Uniquely Yours". I decided to check it out. But, it was way, way to expensive. A few weeks later, I learned that there was a promotional sale on Uniquely Yours...so I called...and found that with my discounts...and by using the Costco gift cards...that plan was only a few more dollars then what I was paying for the shelf stable foods. I went for it...and I am so glad that I did. The frozen food is awesome...I haven't found one item that I didn't like! I look 'so' forward to meal time now! I LOVE the Nutri System frozen foods!!!!!!!!

So, while reading the Nutri System discussion board several weeks ago, I found out that the company was closing down the discussion boards...and the food tracker on their website...going to their new food tracker...called NUMI. I tried it...and hated it. Then I heard about MFP...and checked it out.

I LOVE MFP. I can certainly see how one could be successful long term using it. And I do plan to use up the rest of my Costco cards with Nutri System, then I will see about going out on my own. Hopefully, I will be at goal by that time.

I am enjoying this discussion board so much. I am confident, after using MFP...I can use it to track my meals...and to be successful from now on. That is my desire. And I love my new Fitbit Charge...and the Fitbit scale. Makes losing weight fun! Thanks to all of you for your support...and the information you have shared with me. It is so helpful! Roland at Camp Jackson!

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I watched someone eat Nutrisystem food every day for quite a while. I lost weight just looking at and smelling that grossness. I could barely eat my own food at the same table.
  • SezxyStef
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @campjackson our point is this...yes you can lose weight on it but it doesn't teach you portion control and help you maintain. Logging does. Using a food scale does.

Life will always happen but if your logging and being consistent and staying in goal weight gain won't.
  • campjackson
    Options
    Yes...I agree...logging one's food is a must...I have learned that the hard way!. And with MFP...it is majorly easy. I am so glad that I found it and am now learning how to use it to help me guide my food eating. I am not one to force my ideas or beliefs on anyone...so if I came across as strongly pushing Nutri System, I apologize. While I have always been able to lose the weight with NS...(over and over and over) I know that I can't be on NS for the rest of my life...nor do I want to. Finding and learning to use MFP is a real God Send for me. I can learn portion control by keeping track of what I put into my mouth! Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts...they are so helpful to me! Roland
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I'm following Cambridge Weight Plan and slowly introducing food back into my life. I battled with typhoid and malaria recently and won. Was only able to take liquids but now able to eat chicken, fish, salads and stir fry, thanks to CWP. I need to train myself how to eat well and portion size so CWP was the right choice for me. I'm doing what I feel is right for me and its working. Soon stepping up to introducing carbs slowly but for now happy with veggies, chicken, fish, salads and stir fry. Add me if you like for motivation and support.