Why no legs/squatting in commercial gyms?

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I squat but not full depth like that vid cause i'd rather not wreck my knees. In most scenarios nobody can see your legs anyway so if you lift for aesthetical purposes (like me) there's not really any point trying to squat to a depth that is more purposeful for strength training.

Snort. The funny excuses for not doing full ROM are great in this thread.

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I don't do full ROM squats any more because somehow I turned into a fraidy cat.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I squat but not full depth like that vid cause i'd rather not wreck my knees. In most scenarios nobody can see your legs anyway so if you lift for aesthetical purposes (like me) there's not really any point trying to squat to a depth that is more purposeful for strength training.

I didn't know the golf tee look was aesthetic
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I see lots of people squatting at my gym. also, *kitten* doesn't have to be to the grass to be considered a proper squat...just breaking parallel is just fine.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I'm pretty new to weight lifting, but my small community gym has some guys that squat and others who do not.

Personally I don't squat or work legs because I have made a plan that strengthens the muscles I need to strengthen with a particular activity in mind. Sometime down the road my goals may change and I might work on strengthening legs at that time. Maybe your goals are different than mine, and your goals require you to squat. Great for you! That doesn't explain why I should squat, though.

Ok so what if I told you that squats and deadlifts can overall make you stronger. Would you want to add that to your goals?

Not right now. At some point, I might be interested in overall strength. For now, I'm focusing on a few specific muscles.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I'm pretty new to weight lifting, but my small community gym has some guys that squat and others who do not.

Personally I don't squat or work legs because I have made a plan that strengthens the muscles I need to strengthen with a particular activity in mind. Sometime down the road my goals may change and I might work on strengthening legs at that time. Maybe your goals are different than mine, and your goals require you to squat. Great for you! That doesn't explain why I should squat, though.

Ok so what if I told you that squats and deadlifts can overall make you stronger. Would you want to add that to your goals?

Not right now. At some point, I might be interested in overall strength. For now, I'm focusing on a few specific muscles.

I used to lift that same way( my wasted newbie stage). I regret it. Hopefully you don't.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

picture of you running- says you want to climb a mountain and your tag line says
    "Would Like to Look and Feel Better"

all these things would be supported by squatting.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

picture of you running- says you want to climb a mountain and your tag line says

As would a lot of other exercises.
  • ronnymontoya255
    ronnymontoya255 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I go to a commercial gym that advertises as a "no gymtimidation gym" because that's what I can afford now. I have seen guys spend an hour or so working arms and chest one day, the next day if they do work legs it's for a considerable less time. But I think that like some who have commented, some guys believe that women are more interested in arms and chest so they work legs less.

I like working legs because a day or two later, the soreness give a sense of accomplishment. In fact just yesterday was Leg Day for me.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I do squats once a week and not very heavy along with five other leg exercises, my legs are out of proportion to my upper body and I could give a sh1t what other than one woman thinks about the way I look. I ride a bike 400+ miles a month, extremely limber, long time martial arts/ gymnastics and could put my foot in some ones chin really freaking quick.. So to the people who verbally comment on other people's legs in public- be careful you never know when you might set someone off and get your butt kicked
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    gotolam wrote: »

Right... so I could spend all day at the gym (let's assume I actually have time to do that) and do all potential exercises. Or I could work on specific exercises that will be most useful.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with squats. Your point that squats are helpful for my goals is valid. What I'm saying is that I have limited time and energy, and I want to spend that time and energy on the exercises that will provide maximum return.

I can't possibly do everything that is going to help me achieve my goals... there just are not enough hours in a day.

Anyway, my point was that not all men will do squats because not all men include that in our plans. The OP's point completely ignores individual plans.
  • yopeeps025
    edited May 2015
    Options

Right... so I could spend all day at the gym (let's assume I actually have time to do that) and do all potential exercises. Or I could work on specific exercises that will be most useful.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with squats. Your point that squats are helpful for my goals is valid. What I'm saying is that I have limited time and energy, and I want to spend that time and energy on the exercises that will provide maximum return.

I can't possibly do everything that is going to help me achieve my goals... there just are not enough hours in a day.

Anyway, my point was that not all men will do squats because not all men include that in our plans. The OP's point completely ignores individual plans.

How long do you think it takes to lift everything? Isolation exercise are minors to the big three lifts. I lost what goals can you have where squats is not useful and beneficial?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

If you don't want to do squats or deadlifts, that is fine. But for the average person, those would be the top 2 exercises to spend time on if one is looking for the maximum return.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

Do you mind telling what your training is focused around and what you're training specifically for. What is your goal?
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I do squats once a week and not very heavy along with five other leg exercises, my legs are out of proportion to my upper body and I could give a sh1t what other than one woman thinks about the way I look. I ride a bike 400+ miles a month, extremely limber, long time martial arts/ gymnastics and could put my foot in some ones chin really freaking quick.. So to the people who verbally comment on other people's legs in public- be careful you never know when you might set someone off and get your butt kicked

Wait. Did you just (kind of) threaten people for making comments about something in which you'd already claimed to not care what other people think about anyway?
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I use the squat machine, but I don't do the rack thing with the weight on your shoulders. I'm afraid I'd go down and not be able to get up.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    RoBpQnd.jpg
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    You have the most effective exercise on the planet and no men seem remotely interested in even trying it.

Not sure which planet you're on, but on mine, i tend to carry heavy objects in my hands in front of me, not across my shoulders behind me. So the back squat isn't the most effective exercise for me.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I use the squat machine, but I don't do the rack thing with the weight on your shoulders. I'm afraid I'd go down and not be able to get up.

Well that is a mental block you got to get over.

I know the feeling though. Getting under the bench press doing the same exact workout that tore my pec. I made for sure that I was 100% confident that I would get up all reps.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    You have the most effective exercise on the planet and no men seem remotely interested in even trying it.

Not sure which planet you're on, but on mine, i tend to carry heavy objects in my hands in front of me, not across my shoulders behind me. So the back squat isn't the most effective exercise for me.

Front squats would probably be good for that, a variation on the traditional squat.

Even then, just because the bar is usually behind you, don't mean it has little place or strength carry-over onto daily activities. Stronger legs, core, glutes all will help you in carrying stuff in general, and back squats can typically handle more weight, so as long as you're doing them properly (form>load) you'll have the potential to be even stronger. I wouldn't dismiss them entirely, but just maybe include variations or use it as an addition to your training on top of upper body stuff necessary for your goals. I think that's what people here are getting at with regards to training for other goals.