Is yours open or closed??....and why?

Options
I see a lot of people on MFP have their diaries set to private yet they are seeking nutritional advice. I keep mine open to all my friends. Most of my friends have theirs open as well... I don't see why anyone would hide their diary unless maybe they were eating unhealthy things. Or maybe they simply don't want people commenting on everything they eat?

What do you think? Open diary or closed?

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Open to friends.

But if I were going to come on the forums and ask from help from the entire community, I'd temporarily make it open to everyone. How else could people make any helpful suggestions?
  • humglum
    humglum Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. I enjoy looking at people's diaries and seeing what they eat so I figure mine should be open, too. Even when I'm eating poorly I keep it that way.
  • shimila1101
    shimila1101 Posts: 119
    Options
    Open to friends only. I think it helps if others can give suggestions on my food that I may not have thought of before or remind me to eat more veggies.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Open to friends
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    open to friends only. I think we should share our diarys for others to get ideas from however, I don't want everyone peeking @ my diary.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Mine is fully public. I am not ashamed. I don't always have a perfect diary, but I do pretty good. :) And I have no problem if people want to look at mine to get ideas or what not. I don't even mind constructive criticism, but some people don't like the constant comments on what they should or shouldn't be eating.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    Open. I've seen some people say they changed it to private because they had someone scold them about the foods/drinks they had. I haven't had that problem, but I also don't log my diet cokes. lol!! I like the accountability factor, that's why mine is open
  • bflicker11
    bflicker11 Posts: 296
    Options
    Mine is now open to friends as of a week ago. It helps me have some sort of accountability because I know that I really don't want to tell everyone that I ate 3 king size candy bars. So while I'm looking and lusting after chocolate, I think about MFP buddies. It's incentive to eat healthier. I'm by no means a person who gives nutritional advice. I'm still learning.
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Mines closed!!! Not sure why - I guess I'm not quite ready yet to share this part just yet - bit like my SW - not ready to share that either!
    I would tho if I was asking for nutritional advice otherwise what is the point!

I'm sure I will at somepoint - but I'm on the beginning of my journey and still feeling a bit sensitive :blushing:
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. I enjoy looking at people's diaries and seeing what they eat so I figure mine should be open, too. Even when I'm eating poorly I keep it that way.

ditto.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Mine is fully public. I am not ashamed. I don't always have a perfect diary, but I do pretty good. :) And I have no problem if people want to look at mine to get ideas or what not. I don't even mind constructive criticism, but some people don't like the constant comments on what they should or shouldn't be eating.

Same with me.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I will at somepoint - but I'm on the beginning of my journey and still feeling a bit sensitive :blushing:

That makes sense! I feel like that about posting progress photos on the forum (although, yesterday I plucked up courage and posted some to my blog!).

Mine is open to everyone; I log everything, and I have no problem with people looking at it and commenting if they wish to. :smile:
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Mine's open to everyone, and I post a lot of personal stuff, which is one of the reasons I don't use my name and haven't posted a photo. I don't want colleagues, particularly the people I supervise at work, having access to the minutiae of my daily life.

However, I do like the idea that other people on here can see what I'm eating and drinking, it does induce a little more self restraint.

Besides, if it's working, it can be useful for others to see what works for someone else.

If it doesn't work, it can serve as a warning to others. :bigsmile:
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm open. I feel more accountable this way.
  • AmandaHammill
    AmandaHammill Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Same with me.
    Mine too. I figure since I spend time on the boards that I should have it that way. It's a personal choice though whether people want to share. Ultimately we are accountable to ourselves.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I just opened mine to friends this week after a month of being here. It's been a process of learning and feeling more comfortable. :flowerforyou:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed (though it does have a key).

I'm a very picky eater and tend to eat the same stuff over and over. I also tend to eat a little differently since I am so picky. I don't have a food diary for any other reason than *I* want to be able to track my food. *I* want to be able to see what causes a gain or a loss. *I* want to be accountable to myself for what I eat. I don't want to be judged for what I eat - because it, obviously, works for my body.

I also don't tend to read anyone else's diary unless they ask for advice.
  • Adeland
    Adeland Posts: 19
    Options
    Mine is now open to friends as of a week ago. It helps me have some sort of accountability because I know that I really don't want to tell everyone that I ate 3 king size candy bars. So while I'm looking and lusting after chocolate, I think about MFP buddies. It's incentive to eat healthier. I'm by no means a person who gives nutritional advice. I'm still learning.

...I totally agree. I love baking with chocolate and keeping my diary open reminds me that everyone will know what I ate (because I track everything) so now it's all about fruit instead of chocolate ;-)
  • c_ramey
    c_ramey Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't have a food diary for any other reason than *I* want to be able to track my food. *I* want to be able to see what causes a gain or a loss. *I* want to be accountable to myself for what I eat. I don't want to be judged for what I eat - because it, obviously, works for my body.

I also don't tend to read anyone else's diary unless they ask for advice.

Ditto! Mine is closed because of these reasons!
  • Iamgiam
    Iamgiam Posts: 38
    Options
    Open to everyone who cares enough to want to have a nose.
    I haven't been burnt yet but I have only been here about a week.
    As I joined MFP to achieve a healthy and more active life style I actually imagined that by default this site would be open.
    I would not and do not discuss anything that would be private or worry that anything I say could be used in evidence against me lol.
    I am here to log what I eat and my activities that relate to my health and assume that is what every one else is here for too.
    Oh and of course to get the support and be able if possible to give support to others with the same goals.
    Maybe a bit naive..
    Oh yes I is also a guy so maybe its easier for me ???

G