Coffee sweetener

Options
I'm a coffee junkie. I follow a low carb and no sugar diet so I use Splenda in my coffee. It takes better than other stuff but recently had a few people go crazy on me about how terrible it is. I can't drink coffee without sweetness and I don't like using stevia. Would straight sugar be best?

Replies

• Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    How is it terrible? I mean, I hate the taste of Splenda and think it is terrible that way, but I've never tried to talk anyone into not eating it.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    If I *had* to sweeten my coffee, I would just use sugar. The other day I did because it was takeout coffee and extremely bitter.
    99% of the time I drink it black.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with splenda, or any other artificial sweetener, they just aren't my thing.
    If you like it, use it.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Nothing terrible about Splenda, or any other artificial sweetener, for that matter. Just fearmongering and uneducated people latching on to that information and spreading it around because they like to have some sort of drama in their lives.

If you haven't had a bad reaction to it (some people could possibly have allergies to it, I suppose), then enjoy your Splenda to your heart's content. It will not hurt you. Just smile and say thanks for the tip when someone tells you how bad it is for you.
  • mjaygtoo
    mjaygtoo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have used Splenda as it is natural. Don't use it often but going to look into alternatives. In moderation, sure it is fine as long as you track it.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Stevia is plant-based (except for Truvia which is modified), Splenda is artificial. I stick with Stevia if I can help it. It might cost more but at least it's more natural. Do some research, see how you feel!
    http://www.naturalnews.com/047639_stevia_splenda_artificial_sweeteners.html
  • mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    karla24687 wrote: »
    Stevia is plant-based (except for Truvia which is modified), Splenda is artificial. I stick with Stevia if I can help it. It might cost more but at least it's more natural. Do some research, see how you feel!

I'm a big fan of stevia drops! I get sweet leaf off of Amazon in all sorts of flavours - so good :)
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Use what you like!
    If it's 'refined' sugar you're worried about try honey, maple or agave. I love honey in my coffee but it is, of course, still sugar.
    In the Raw brand also has a sugar refined from monkfruit... has anyone tried this/know the deal?
  • greenfield292
    greenfield292 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use truvia
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    i got stevia for my coffee but it changes the taste too much, i prefer black or half a sugar and some cream. There is nothing wrong with real food.
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I use raw honey as my sweetner; however, it contains several grams of sugar but it's natural. Since I switched from Splenda to honey, I cannot stand the taste of Splenda. :p
  • bluecheesesticks
    bluecheesesticks Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I enjoy using Monk Fruit In The Raw individual packets in my coffee. :)
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Nothing terrible about Splenda, or any other artificial sweetener, for that matter. Just fearmongering and uneducated people latching on to that information and spreading it around because they like to have some sort of drama in their lives.

If you haven't had a bad reaction to it (some people could possibly have allergies to it, I suppose), then enjoy your Splenda to your heart's content. It will not hurt you. Just smile and say thanks for the tip when someone tells you how bad it is for you.
    ^This
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Three of my closest friends are organic chemists. None of them is concerned about Splenda or other artificial sweeteners. I figure if the people who really know the science behind how the stuff is made are not worried I don't need to be either. Use what you like.
  • Nnaska
    Nnaska Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    karla24687 wrote: »

True. Splenda is chemicals. Stevia is natural. I use Sweet Leaf brand. I really like it. No bitter aftertaste.
  • Nnaska
    Nnaska Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Before calling people fear-mongerers do your own research. I have. I choose not to put chemicals in my body if I can help it. Let people decide for themselves. There are haters and lovers of every product out there.
  • 93gemmac
    93gemmac Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Personally I find that sweeteners lead to me craving more sweet things so I avoid them, but its a personal choice
  • irisrivera2015
    irisrivera2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love my morning coffee it's been 3 years now that I don't put any sugar and I don't miss it and taste the same to me
  • Harmonynichole
    Harmonynichole Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have terrible reactions to aspartame, but splenda is okay in moderation. It's also easier to find than Monk fruit packets and stevia without the after taste. I have a liquid stevia that is awesome in coffee, but have tried some really bad ones to get there.
  • sreggieb
    sreggieb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I heard Monkfruit is great! I need to try it!
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Splenda can raise your bad cholesterol to unbelievable levels if you are sensitive to it. And you wouldn't know it without blood tests. They never tested it for such a thing, but it is now showing up more and more. And Splenda is manufactured using chlorine gas! Aspertame can cause nerve damage.